NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Microchip for my CAG?

Hi, this is my very first post here. My name is Tania, I live in South Florida and I'm bringing home our new CAG (Congo African Grey), ZuZu, on Friday. We have been visiting him since he was 7 weeks old at the bird store and he has been weened now for about a week.

My previous CAG didn't have a foot ring, but this one does. When I was growing up and interning at a veterinarian's office for 1 year, I saw parrots come thru with terrible injuries from their foot rings.

What are your thoughts on keeping this foot ring?

Also, what are your thoughts on getting a CAG microchipped?

My previous grey didn't have either. She died of teflon gas poisoning (sad story) 10 years ago. And I just now could bring myself to getting another grey and I'm extremely happy about it !!

Zuzu will be fully flighted bird and will be harness trained as well so he can fly outdoors without getting lost. Because he will be a flighted bird, I worry about him getting lost one day. I want to do everything in my power to make it easy to find him should that ever happen.

Altho, I think the chances of finding a lost grey are slim to none no matter what I do, I want to tip the scales to my favor however possible.

thanks!!

-Tania

Hi Tania, congrats on your new grey. We would love to see some pictures of Zuzu as we are all grey fanatics. As for the microchipping, I am all for it. I have three parrots and they are all microchipped. Some believe the process would be painful to their greys. I can honestly say that none of my parrots reacted negatively because of the chipping. Before I took my tag, Ana Grey (303g) into be microchipped my avian veterinarian's office's practice was to sedate before microchipping. I asked them not to sedate my grey as I believe that could cause more damage then a little needle prick. Their practice is not to sedate parrots before microchipping now. Hooray! I now have a sense of calm because I know that my flighted companions are as safe has I can get them if they should decide to have an outdoor adventure without me. Because it is so easy for a vet's office to check for a microchip, most do it for free, if not all. My vet's office will check to see if my parrots' chips are still in place anything I want; all I have to do is bring them in. Some are afraid of tumors due to microchipping. I believe you can't worry about much things and if you take your parrot in for a chip checking any such tumors can be found. Ironically, when I took my pug in to be microchipped the vet found a tumor, so I believe having my pug chipped was a blessing to remove a cancerous tumor. Having my parrots microchipped let's anyone who finds them know who the true owner is. It is a shame that some people believe that finding a parrot/bird makes it theirs. If someone finds my parrots and I find them unwilling to return my birds, I can find them guilty of theft and have them punished for theft because the chip on my parrot definitely proves my parrot to be mine. I have a calm peace of mind knowing that I have done everything I can to see that my parrots can be returned to me.