NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do Grey's ever choose two people?

mjv413

Hello! New to this forum... just put a deposit on a CAG 3 weeks ago today, the baby will be available for visiting in another two weeks. First of all, there is tons of great information on this site so thank you for everyone who contributes! I previously had a bare eyed cockatoo, named Woody, who is in Florida with my family. When I moved to Northern Virginia, I thought the move would be traumatic for him, especially since he loved making fun at all of our other pets, and he got along well with most of the family members.

We are going to name our new baby Piper, after the piper aircraft (my fiancé's favorite hobby is flying). So here is my question regarding our new baby! When speaking to the breeders about traits of different breeds, I expressed my concern about how I really wanted to encourage whatever breed we choose to go with to be friendly with both of us.... Woody, the family cockatoo, while he had his favorites was able to be handled by several different people. I am aware of their natural tendency to choose a favorite, or mate. He basically said that you can influence any animal, and that with the right socialization between the two of us, there should be no problems as far as aggression/my fiance' not being able to handle our grey. Since it is just the two of us at home, and our only pet, this was pretty important to me (even though I know they are all individuals and will ultimately do as they so please!) We will both be going to the establishment as soon as we are able, I believe they allow visitation to begin around 5-6 weeks, and they said that both of us going and sharing in that time would definitely help.

Any input, or advice on the subject? Maybe from some other couples that share their lives with a grey, and the challenges you have come across, and ways you overcome them. Thanks!

Yes this is more true than not. When it is said that a Grey or a parrot bonds with only one person, what this means is they have a favorite, just like a favorite actor or singer. Breeders are a exception to this rule, their mated. [Dave can explain this better]. The actual difference between a bonded parrot and next in line can be as simple as they'll only take a treat from their bonded favorite, etc, it varys, don't be affraid... Thanks Jay

Hello! New to this forum... just put a deposit on a CAG 3 weeks ago today, the baby will be available for visiting in another two weeks. First of all, there is tons of great information on this site so thank you for everyone who contributes! I previously had a bare eyed cockatoo, named Woody, who is in Florida with my family. When I moved to Northern Virginia, I thought the move would be traumatic for him, especially since he loved making fun at all of our other pets, and he got along well with most of the family members.

We are going to name our new baby Piper, after the piper aircraft (my fiancé's favorite hobby is flying). So here is my question regarding our new baby! When speaking to the breeders about traits of different breeds, I expressed my concern about how I really wanted to encourage whatever breed we choose to go with to be friendly with both of us.... Woody, the family cockatoo, while he had his favorites was able to be handled by several different people. I am aware of their natural tendency to choose a favorite, or mate. He basically said that you can influence any animal, and that with the right socialization between the two of us, there should be no problems as far as aggression/my fiance' not being able to handle our grey. Since it is just the two of us at home, and our only pet, this was pretty important to me (even though I know they are all individuals and will ultimately do as they so please!) We will both be going to the establishment as soon as we are able, I believe they allow visitation to begin around 5-6 weeks, and they said that both of us going and sharing in that time would definitely help.

Any input, or advice on the subject? Maybe from some other couples that share their lives with a grey, and the challenges you have come across, and ways you overcome them. Thanks!

AS long as you realize that your new bird will like you for certain things and that applies to your fiance. To the human eye, it may seem that the bird likes one person more than the other but that's not neccessarily true. One of my birds loves it when I scratch his head but he gets nippy when I try that on his back. On the other hand, he loves it when my wife rubs his back but gets nippy when she tries the head. So why does this happen? Who knows. This same type of attitude can cover a million things in your house.

Your first job is to make sure you and the fiance are both involved with the bird from day 1 in all things major or minor. It's called socializing and is probably the most important thing you can do to have an even tempered bird.

I definitely agree with what everyone has said so far. I am the current "favorite," but my boyfriend can handle Chickie as easily as I can because we were both an active part of her life from day 1 of putting our deposit down. We both visited her at the breeders and we both interact with her in our different and special ways. Even though she's currently a momma's girl, there are still things that my boyfriend can do, or shhe prefers him to do, that I can't. She just LOVES him to rub her chin, but mom not so much. I think the most important thing is that you both work with Piper from day 1, and she will love you both, for different reasons, just like Dave said. :)

A grey can and does pick more than one person. My wife and son and my self are all special to Corky and each of us for a differant reason. So we each make that reason special to her in our actions. With that said she is also very out going to other people.

Our older rehomed guy Gilbert is now going back and forth between my husband and me. There are days he is grouchy to me and elicits scratches from my husband lately and there are moments when he agrees to let me be the one to give him a scratch. I believe we will reach a day when he is equally tolerant of both of us. Our first parrot Java is not a grey, but she tolerates the whole family even though she is most sweet and cuddly for me. I would guess if they were not so scared of her quick beak she would be more welcoming to them too.