NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Allowing Ruby to breed

Should I get another African Grey but a female? I'm not sure if it will help Ruby's love struck desire of Brad. I'm entertaining the idea right now and have no plans of getting another parrot. We have no room for another parrot. Should I continue to consider this or just give it up. Not looking to breed African Greys since there is a lot of them being bred these days. I do have friends who want one but they are few. I'm going to wait 5 more years or until Brennen gets his PhD to make a final decision. Boy Ruby will 8 years old by than. Maybe his behavior will change by than. What do you greys think? I can only hope that him and Malachite will be buddies but how things are not I don't see that happening.

I'm confused, partially because I don't know the back story but you also say you want Ruby to breed, but later on say you have no room for another parrot. If you are getting another bird for Ruby to shack up with, first you need a second cage... you can't just throw a second parrot in there expecting everything to be peachy keen... Also you need to realize that if you pair Ruby with a female... Ruby will no longer be a pet...He will bond to the female and you'll be the intruder that makes food available... you will not be able to handle him anymore... Breeders are a wonderful thing, without them, we wouldn't have our greys that we love... but a breeder is not a pet, and a pet is not a breeder... so just know what you want before you decide.

An african grey that has been been socialized with humans and picked a favorite will not be a good breeder nor will they prefer another grey over that favored person. In fact, there is no guarantee Ruby would even like the other grey you might bring home. Why is Ruby having Brad as the favored an issue? There is never any guarantee just because you or anyone decide that you want a grey that you will be the favored one. They decide that, not you. I am the one here that wanted a grey, found it at 5 weeks old and visited him 3 or 4 days a week until bringing him home. I am not the favored one, my wife is. But so what? I love Dayo, my wife does and so do all the other people we have in our lives that he has been socialized with over these years.

I do not understand why you believe getting rid of Ruby is a good decision or why? It makes no sense to me.

So what if Ruby is love struck with Brad, like the others have said there is no guarantee a female grey will even get along with Ruby so you definitely cannot just stick another grey in with Ruby as one would probably kill the other. Dan is the perfect example of how greys are, he was the one wanting the bird but Dayo picked his wife as his favored person and there is not a darn thing you can do about it but accept it. This makes we wonder what your committment to this bird really is, just because you are not his favorite, maybe Ruby would be better off to be rehomed to someone who will give him the love and attention he deserves.

I sorry that my post was completely misunderstood. I do not ever want to get rid of Ruby, I've made a commit to do right by him. I don't care that I'm not his favorite person. I do have a great relationship with him as I'm the only that he allow to preen his pin feathers. I know and understand that I can't throw another grey with Ruby in the same cage. I do own multiple cages and I know Ruby doesn't really like other parrot species. Just to clarify a little I really don't want to breed Ruby, and there is a back story to the issue of his obsession with Brad that I've had post about. "Training People" I believe was the title. His desire for Brad is what causes him to pluck his neck down feathers and nest building mode. I've heard that sometimes pairing pluckers helps with this problem as they direct their affection to their partner. I don't know whether if this holds any merit. Honesty to the untrained eye wouldn't be able to tell that he has some bald spots about his neck. Sorry for the confusion. I guess I wrote like I spoke. It sounded right in my head. lol

I'm so glad to hear you have no intention of getting rid of Ruby but I have never heard that putting two pluckers together will solve the problem, might just be a myth but someone can correct me if I am wrong. Maybe as the spring turns into summer some of these issues with Ruby and Brad will calm down some as right now Ruby's hormones are raging and he is thinking about mating so direct Brad to not touch Ruby anywhere belong the neck, that means wings, chest, back and tail areas are off limits for those are the errogenous zones. Maybe he needs more foraging type toys to keep him busy and occupied like some that he has to work at to get open.