NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just rescued our Grey...biting help?

Guest ilovemygrey

Guest ilovemygrey

Ok first off I know we are in big trouble! :) We shouldn't have...but we did.

Jaq'o was in the bottom of his cage today over in the corner just kinda hanging out. I thought ok maybe hes depressed. So I decided to open his cage door and let him climb about the cage and my goal was for him to get on top and be happy and I would try and lure him back into his cage later with cooked frozen veggies. As he was on top of the cage for about an hour I approached him and gave him a few treats. Time passed and I went ahead and made the veggies for him to go back in his cage gave him one and showed him I put the veggies in his bowl and placed it back inside his cage.

We went on with our business and tried to ignore him thinking maybe he would go into the cage. During this time I went and sat on the other side of the couch (his cage butts up against the other side) and started loving on our 2 chihuahuas. I knew from past experiences he would be insterested in this because anytime hes in the cage and I love on the dogs on the couch he always comes over to check it out. Well that he did. As I was loving on the dogs I notice him making his way towards the arm of the couch, keep loving on the dogs and look over and BAM hes there staring at me on the couch arm. He then made his way along the back of the couch and was starting to approach me when the dogs got way too curious and I tried to contain them as they are very mindful. Well curiosity got the best of them and they went at him. He flapped his wings and flew down to the floor and 1 dog gave chase. We yelled no and it quickly ran back to us leaving jaq'o alone (never touched him). Jaq'o then calmly just struts about the floor walking into the kitchen and I tell Mandy to get the dogs out of here. She takes the dogs into the bedroom and closes the door.

I couldn't help but think that he was approaching me on the couch to make what I would call first contact. So I quickly got on the floor and layed there and gave him the opportunity to approach me again. He starts making his way over to me I'm thinking ok this is gonna work out hes coming to me. WRONG as soon as he got within striking range he tore into my arm and just kept jabbing and pinching. I brushed him off with a swift back hand as I was telling "no jaqo, no, bad bird" He regathered himself and I thought ok maybe he learned what 'no' means. Wrong again, I lay my hand on the floor and say "come'ere" after I say he repeats it and I laugh. He makes his way towards my hand laying on the floor and attacks once again this time on my middle finger jabbing and prying. I again said "no jaqo bad bird" and brushed him off. Rinsed my bloody finger off and as I come back hes trying to eat dog food and so I took the paper towel I had in my hand and kinda brushed it at his beak to stop him from eating the dog food. He drops it and I pick up the bowls and head straight to get a towel, cover him up and return him to his cage.

Wow if you read all that thank you! lol

Now I'm not concerned as much about the pain of the bites as I am what his original intentions were the first time he was approaching me as I sat on the couch. Was he coming to bite me then or did the dogs ruin the situation and make him bite me on the floor?

Also what blows my mind is he actually made at least 10 steps to bite me both times on the floor I didn't approach him in any way. Is that common for them to actually come at you to bite you when in a neutral stance?

Edited by ilovemygrey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without being there, it is hard to tell, but it seems as if Jaq'O got caught up in the excitement. It would be natural in a state of panic to go into fight or flight and he seems to have gotten his back up to fight. We have had our rescue Gilbert for a year now. On occasion he will still charge at me when I am changing out his food and water dishes. The cage has only two of the doors to put food and water through and I have to reach in to change out the pellets in the third bowl. I cut quite a few fleece squares about 20 inches square. I cover my hand with the fleece when I have to reach in and he is in the mood to give me a bite. The other thing I will do is put his pellets in a long handled measuring cup and transfer pellets into his dish that way. Sometimes it takes a long long time to establish trust a little at a time. Our vet told us that greys are very subtle, when their quiet resistance doesn't work, they resort to biting. However, once they establish that biting is effective, they will sometimes bite out of reflex. Your best bet is to avoid situations that push him to bite to get his point across. You will get to learn his good times and when he is approachable. In the beginning with Gilbert, I would get him out at night when the house was quiet and put the dogs in their crate. Then, if he was too wound up to relax and go back to his cage, I could turn off the lights, leaving on just a night light and he was much more willing to step up to go back to his cage where he felt more secure. Gilbert was referred to as "that mean bird" and a bird with issues from one of his former caretakers. He isn't mean, but he still has a hair trigger.

• 3 months later...

Hi ilovemygrey ,Congratulations on Jaq'O. I am relatively new to grey forums. I too, have a rescued grey, Shelly. I have had him for about a month now. He is really awesome. Shelly tries to bite me if I get to close. Like the forums here suggest, I am giving shelly his space and showing him much love. One trick I've learned to get Shelly back in his cage without physically moving him is to give him some bananas or watermellon, which he loves, outside of his cage and then place some pieces of fruit on his perch inside the cage. He doesn't go in right away but usually within 5 - 10 minutes.

One trick I've learned to get Shelly back in his cage without physically moving him is to give him some bananas or watermellon, which he loves, outside of his cage and then place some pieces of fruit on his perch inside the cage. He doesn't go in right away but usually within 5 - 10 minutes.

You are awesome! Perfect training for a gun shy grey. :)

this chirp happens when: being draped for bed, when we open the cover in the morning, when i first met him, and right before my husband transferred him into the new cage.

My boy will do that same beep. I take it as an unhappy beep. He too will do it when I cover him at night cause he hates to be covered and he doesn't care for my husband and will beep at him if he gets too close.

He is a beautiful baby and lucky to have found you. I just rehomed my baby 3 weeks ago. I have known him for 21yrs so he has adjusted well. I'm sure he remembered me (I hadn't seen him in 7yrs) and that helped with earning his trust. It took me a little more than a week before he would step up to me without biting. Now if he doesn't want to be touched or held he will just turn his head away from me. He is such a good boy. You will get there, it just takes time. Everyone here on the forum is great! They have so much advice and are so willing to give it. We are lucky to have a place like this to go to!!! Teri