NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I think he's got some wires crossed up there...

snoepgoed123

Archimedes is a weirdo... yup... I've said it before, I'll say it again and again, weirdo weirdo weirdo... now, why is he a weirdo, and why does he have some wires crossed in his lil head... first... he growls, that alone is not weird, but he growls when he's happy... when he's eating, he'll growl, when I'm petting him, he'll growl... either that or purr... but he's not a cat...

and second... through my research, I've found out that greys especially are fearful of getting a towel over their heads... nope not Archimedes... he will RUN under the towels (and blankets) like it's the best thing ever... and when I lift up a side to let him crawl back out, he stays put... for whatever reason he loves it...

anybody else have greys that do things they're not supposed to?

kallie is our "weirdo" too, lol!!! before we got her, i read as much as i could and repeatedly saw how cautious, shy, scared of new anything, etc they were supposed to be. not kallie!! new toys, she wants them, NOW!! new people, she wants a head rub, NOW!! new food, NOW!! even the vet was impressed at the 1st visit we had (we did this on the way to bringing her home, getting all the trauma and drama done at one time) that her heart rate was in the normal range, even after all the stuff he had to do to her to run all the blood work, etc.

about the only things we've seen that she's skittish about are towels, loud noises she hasn't heard before, and us using/carrying something out in the front yard that she's not familiar with. she also has a fascination with gravity and how it applies to seeds and torn paper (she watches this stuff fall, then stares at it for the longest time once its at the bottom of the cage, sometimes saying, hhhmmmm) and she likes to "fly" upside down in her cage. she holds on to the bars while upside down and just flaps away like a crazy girl!! (makes for a nice breeze at times though, maybe she's pretending to be an air conditioner or something, hahaha)

LOL @ these stories of what some think is crazy behavior for a grey. :P

A bird is afraid of a towel if it was and has been only used to towel them. WE have played with towels with our grey and conure since bring them home. They love to drag them around, wrap up in them and toss them on the floor just to watch us pick them up. We also use the towels to wrap them while trimming Talons or at the vet for an exam. They are not fearful of the towels in the latter cases, they are fearful of talon trimming (getting better though) and the vet while wrapped in their security blanket.. the towel. :)

It is all about how they were raised and taught.

LOL yes we have Timneh that loves hiding and wrapping himself in my sons hair.

I guess its a good thing I had my hair cut yesterday. The stylist cut 20 inches off. Detangling a bird from that would have been a bunch of no fun.

nancy, thanks, we try. but kallie is one bull headed girl!! we've had her a little over a year now and she still absolutely refuses to step up for either of us, lol!!! we've tried asking, bribing, telling, saying nothing, everything we can think of and so far, nothing! we work on it but she's still not having any of it! she pushes our hand away and if we persist, well, it's just not pretty. we just keep trying, but so far, it's not happening. her previous owner never taught her to step up, she was allowed to fly to the lady's head and slide down to her shoulder. we discourage this and are trying to get her to land on the back of the recliner and then climb on our lap. she's definitely got her ideas of how/when/etc. to a point, we honor those decisions, but it can get frustrating sometimes. i'm sure someday she'll decide stepping up is fine, but until then, we'll just have to improvise, hahaha!!! other than that, she's a wonderful girl, funny, curious, and a definite character. tonight, she must have been in scientist mode again, this time with ice cubes. she'd take an ice cube from the bowl and very purposely put it in her water bowl, then just stare at it floating and getting smaller for the longest time!! she did this 4 times, it was hilarious watching her trying to figure out just where those darn ice cubes kept disappearing to, lol!!!

tonight, she must have been in scientist mode again, this time with ice cubes. she'd take an ice cube from the bowl and very purposely put it in her water bowl, then just stare at it floating and getting smaller for the longest time!! she did this 4 times, it was hilarious watching her trying to figure out just where those darn ice cubes kept disappearing to, lol!!!

Thank you for sharing that. Don't you wish sometimes you knew what was going on inside her head.

oh another quick thing.... I think Archimedes thinks he's a caique... you see, Archimedes, just like caiques love to hair surf... and no, it's not fun having a 500 gram grey hair surf... just incase you're wondering...
Marco likes to preen my hair and as of late ... keeps tryin to perch atop my head :rolleyes:

kallie is our "weirdo" too, lol!!! before we got her, i read as much as i could and repeatedly saw how cautious, shy, scared of new anything, etc they were supposed to be. not kallie!! new toys, she wants them, NOW!! new people, she wants a head rub, NOW!! new food, NOW!! even the vet was impressed at the 1st visit we had (we did this on the way to bringing her home, getting all the trauma and drama done at one time) that her heart rate was in the normal range, even after all the stuff he had to do to her to run all the blood work, etc.

about the only things we've seen that she's skittish about are towels, loud noises she hasn't heard before, and us using/carrying something out in the front yard that she's not familiar with. she also has a fascination with gravity and how it applies to seeds and torn paper (she watches this stuff fall, then stares at it for the longest time once its at the bottom of the cage, sometimes saying, hhhmmmm) and she likes to "fly" upside down in her cage. she holds on to the bars while upside down and just flaps away like a crazy girl!! (makes for a nice breeze at times though, maybe she's pretending to be an air conditioner or something, hahaha)

LMAO at gravity fascinated! That is the funniest thing ... I think its just amazing that kallie watches the paper and stuff drop! Marco hasnt started that ...

it'd be too funny if we knew what was going on in her head at times!!! she really does have scientist mode. she'll drop her foot toys just to hear the loud noise they make and doesn't watch them fall at all. but with paper and seeds, she's just fascinated by them for some reason known only to herself, lol!!!

we about died laughing the one time a piece of paper had the gall to land in her water bowl instead of going where she wanted it to. she "marched" over to the bowl, all fluffed up, and jerked that paper out of the water and flung it, but then it landed in her foot toy bucket (which is next to the water bowl). oh the look she gave that paper and the body language was just over the top funny. she glared at the paper and grabbed it and purposely leaned over and away from anything near her and dropped it then stayed there staring at it on the bottom of the cage like she was daring it to move or something, the kicker though was when she realized we were just dying laughing and turned around to look at us and asked "WHAT?"!! at that point we were crying with laughter. poor athena is just watching all of this quietly (for a change) then decides its time to ring her "attention" bell. she has one bell that she'll ring only at times that she feels she needs "attention", kind of like ringing the bell at the desk for the bell boy!!! hahahahaha, the girls are just too funny and too much fun sometimes.

Weirdo Sophie... She was hanging on the gate, between family room and kitchen, playing as usual. Plastic gate is very safe. She decided, she didn't like her " predicament"... called out " help me Rom!" Of course, I always run to her, if she calls out for help. She certainly could have gotten her self untangled, but when she calls for help, I run! I told her to let go, and drop! ( a HUGE trust!) She did... landed in my hands with her belly exposed. I don't remember Sophie EVER being in my hand with her belly exposed! I decided to tickle her tummy. She was very quiet, lasted about 20 seconds until she started pinning with her eyes!( she was NOT happy, but tolerating me!) I quickly put her on the countertop, where I got a huge regurg, for my heroic rescue. LOL Nancy