NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

what do u think.....

parker

i was all lined up to get anew baby cag and i visited him often i felt that we didnt really "connect" they way i wanted to and a couple days ago i noticed his brother had some evidence of the red factor gene idk i dont necessarily like the red and decided to wait for a new baby to come in.. do u think this was a bad decision :P

But can babies truly connect at such a young age? I often hear how building a relationship with a bird can take a LONG time. I was under the impression that they choose their partner so to speak around a year and half to two years in. I only had one choice for the baby I'm getting. I'm not sure what "connection" you're talking about but I go visit her almost everyday and it's getting better and better. I've been nipped hard a few times and it hasn't always been great but there's definitely progress being made. I figure she'll warm up quite a bit the more she gets to know me.

Anyone's thoughts? I'm curious about this too

The connection I'm referring to is like the bird that feels right and thanks for everyone's input. The only reason why I feel like its a bad choice is because red factors are sorta rare. I feel like the younger u get them the more accepting they are of u and I hear it's up to the bird to switch people to bond with

yeah the red factors are more rare...I'm getting one and keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't lose the red feathers when it molts! Everyone I talk to though comments on how much they like the red but I spose it's just personal preference

Parker,

That happened to me with my first attempt to buy a grey. I felt very strongly that we weren't connecting, so i didn't purchase the grey. It turns out there was a much better fit for me in Brutus. I knew instantly he liked me and was comfortable with me. So I think you did a good thing trusting your instincts. Don't rush it. You will find the one. I looked at greys for over a year before I found Brutus.

Maggie here (writing for Jay)...if it's a Red Factor or a Lutino Factor or even a rare CAG/TAG mix, the main reason for buying a CAG or TAG is the love and companionship. Even if you have a completely plucked bird that looks really strange, it's the spirit of the bird itself, not its color. Thank you, Jay.

Yeah I understand your worries on having a red factor grey. You never know if these rare mutations are healthy birds. I bought 2 "Cameroon" Greys the same breeder. Which from what my research tells me Cameroon Greys aren't really from Cameroon, they are just bigger then the average Congo. But to get on with it, I bought my first one, Caesar in 2008, and he died under very mysterious circumstances. I just thought it was just a one and a million shot. So I went to that same breeder and got another "Cameroon" Grey in 2009 named Cyrus, and he died under mysterious circumstances as well. My feeling is they were trying to breed just large Congo's, and maybe not the healthiest. So yeah sorry for the long story when ever I think about it, it gets me so mad, and believe me I've limited this message, or tried to haha. But good job recognizing that from the gate, if you're not feeling that bird and you think the bird isn't feeling you it's best to wait.