NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

No one but me !

TWIX

I was at work when i received a call from my wife telling me that DJ has gone out of control! I asked her what is he doing? She replied: He flew to the floor and started biting and chewing everything in the house, we tried to get him back to his cage but he refused. When we try and get close to him, he will get all fluffy and starts biting. lol

So i asked her to bring a wooden stick so he can step on it and send him to his cage. She did just that, but he refused to step on it. They were all scared at home, so i asked her to bring a treat from the kitchen and put it on top of the cage while he was watching, but even that didn't work out. He won't take anything of their hands. I gave up and told her to get a towel and carry him back to his cage, and it worked.

When i came back home, i put him back on the floor and asked my wife to pick him up. She asked him to step up and he did it in a second! Does that means he felt secure when i am with him? I did hide and watch my wife getting closer to him but he went mad on her.

Sometimes i like it that he wants only me, but i still wish he will accept my wife, daughter and our maid.

He has been bonding with you and trusts you. That will develop much more slower with your other family members. If you spend time with him and say your wife and get him used to allowing her to get a step up while you are present it will help expedite the process of DJ trusting her enough to at the least step-up. But I will say, if he does not want to at that time, he won't. This is going to be a work in process, meaning time and patience working with DJ on the step. The same hold true for others in the household like your daughter and maid in working on the trust with him.

It does your parrot no favors to only like one person. Your other family members and maid need to work with your bird, and within his comfort level, to create a larger family for your bird.

When your bird "flipped out" he probably couldn't calm down because your family was upset and running high on emotions. I think you need to sit down with everyone and decide, as a family, on your course of action to make your grey an accepted part of the family. Greys' love to feel they are a contributing and valuable member of the family, and that they are respected and cherished. You can't just say it because they can FEEL it. They know.

With our parrots, they have learned to like me best because I am the one home all day and taking care of them. I am the only one who reads the forum and learns all the best ways to handle them, how to feed them and all. But, what I have also done is foster a relationship with each family member. When our daughter came home from college to a scary parrot, we would all go to another room where Java could hear us and Kelsey would come offer Java a perch to step up and then carry her down to "rescue" her from being alone. She was also the one we chose to hand her a treat a bedtime until she was accepted. What Java did was "bluff" every family member as if she was trying to drive them out of my life. If she did that each person had to learn to call her bluff and tell her no and then I would come in and back them up and help get her back into her cage and if she couldn't be nice to everyone, she had to be alone in her cage for a little while. It took a lot of time and work, but now she is sweet to everyone in the family. Gilbert is a special case because he had issues. We are following the same basic plan, gradual introduction to the rest of the family, letting others be the one to give him his almond treat at bedtime. If he flies to the floor, he always is grateful when someone else picks him up, but since he can't fly, he is needing some help to get back to his safety zone. It has taken a lot more time to get him to accept the rest of the family but he is slowly, slowly beginning to respond favorably. Keep working with DJ and your family because it can get better, it just takes time and everyone working together. You can do it.

TWIX, Is your wife home during the day? The reason I ask, is she will need lots of help. Not only are you trusted, you are the flock leader. Nancy

No she's not, she is also working and that's why we have a maid.

How does your wife and maid feel about DJ? Is DJ sending any animosity ? No parrot will trust someone if they sense dislike or fear.

Steve n Misty

Everyone in the house loves DJ, they keep offering him food and treats. I keep an eye on that all the time. They want to play with him but he doesn't want anything to do with anyone else but me. I want DJ to love them back one day. But, he is scaring them all the time. They are scared of his bite as they saw him catching my finger hard few times before.

When he flew down they were all laughing and talking to him, but he gets excited easily and he wanted to play with them "I guess". He didn't want to go back to his cage which was 2 meters away.

It does your parrot no favors to only like one person. Your other family members and maid need to work with your bird, and within his comfort level, to create a larger family for your bird.

When your bird "flipped out" he probably couldn't calm down because your family was upset and running high on emotions. I think you need to sit down with everyone and decide, as a family, on your course of action to make your grey an accepted part of the family. Greys' love to feel they are a contributing and valuable member of the family, and that they are respected and cherished. You can't just say it because they can FEEL it. They know.

The family was never upset, my wife was laughing when she called me! They were loud and laughing at DJ and maybe this has scared him. But even if DJ is on his cage and everything is quite, he won't easily accept them. I have the sweetest family ever, and they are very delicate and loving. The maid is a 23 year old lady, she cleans his cage and maintains his food supplies everyday. I believe in what Dan said: It will take time and patience, and i have to work on this myself. I will do just that. Thanks

It is good that he he loved by everyone. He is still young and I am sure he will become more accepting in time. I think if you continue letting your wife pick him up off the floor in your presence he will come to trust her more when you are not there.

DJ is fortunate to have such a loving family.

Steve n Misty

He is really funny! I put him on my hand and my daughter came and gave him a scratch and he was completely fine with it (Very relaxed). My wife came immediately and as soon as she got closer, he went mad and didn't want her to touch him. This is just now! lol