NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Men that cook, huh?

judygram

We all know that Joe, aka nevjoe, can cook, my gosh he can cook, you should see his recipes, and I recently learned that Mark, aka dblhelix, can cook also. But I wonder how many of the other male members of this forum can cook.

Now I am not talking about popping something in the microwave or preparing something out of a box but some honest to goodness real cooking. And it doesn't have to be a gourmet type of cooking but where you can start from scratch and make something good to eat that would make any woman proud.

Most of us women can cook and a lot of us love to cook but it is so nice to have a man that can cook along with the other things that I won't mention. I know that would earn brownie points with me.

How about it guys, do any of you do any cooking in your house or is that woman's work?

I'll tell ya, one of my favorite dishes(besides "Q ing it up") and its easy to make, is angel hair pasta with sundried tomatoes, feta cheese and cilantro. Its a great summer dish (winter works too!).

1 package angel hair pasta (cook al dente!)

1 bushell cilantro (chopped)

1 block feta cheese

1 jar sun dried tomatoes in oil

Chop cilantro. Drain oil from tomatoes, cut into 1/2 or 1/4 (as you like). Cook pasta, drain and run luke warm water over to cool. Add cilantro and tomatoes to pasta, toss. Crumble feta into dish, toss...serve warm but NOT HOT!! Tossing the whole mix is the challenge. Also, if its too hot the cheese melts (not good). This dish is best served "warm" and can even be cool...its really good though.<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/09/25 02:55

Well this is a bonus, we get a recipe too, and it sounds good Mark, I will have to try it.

You know they always say the way to a man's heart is thru his stomach, but it can work for women too, keep that in mind you men out there.:)

Thanks Mark, your wife is a lucky woman and you tell her I said so.:P

This dish sounds real good, but Mark, not to rain on your parade. NEVER rinse pasta with water. You remove the starch, which holds the sauces you use on it. Some restaurants precook the pasta and add a small amount of oil to it, so it won't stick together. This is a bad process also because the oil will keep the sauce off it also.

I have cooked thousands of pounds Pasta over the years and the only way this will not happen is to Re-sauté in a frying pan the pasta and sauce.

Hope I’ve shed some of my cooking knowledge to you.

You’re doing a great job Mark.

Joe

Thanks Joe! Thing is with this dish, there is no sauce! The only thing useful to toss this mix is the little bit of oil from the sundried tomatoes and the bit of water left over. I think the rinse works well with this one, but thats useful info for just about all other pasta dishes!!

Leave it to Joe to straighten Mark out on the pasta, I knew that you don't rinse pasta that you are going to put a sauce on, but if I am making a pasta salad I do rinse it, now Joe you say I shouldn't rinse any pasta no matter what I am using it for?

I want to hear it from the expert, the man who knows his way around the kitchen, the one and only Joe.

Any added liquid is a sauce. Even a cold pasta salid using a cold or warm dressing is a sauce. When making a cold salad with pasta the STARCH will hold the dressing. When I make that kind of salad, I cook the pasta and strain it well then in a large bowl I add the pasta (WHILE STILL WARM)with enough dressing just to coat the pasta. You can finish it when you need to, and if you put it in the frig it wont stick. Just like yours Mark also.

Joe

Ok so I don't rinse any pasta no matter what I am going to use it for, thanks Joe. And Mark you heard it from the cook's mouth, no rinsing the pasta.

I knew this thread would result in some good information, I am patting myself on the back for thinking of it. But I know Joe and Mark aren't the only male members who can cook, but I did just start this thread so we will wait for the others to come out of the woodwork and identify themselves.

Using cold water draws flavor out of the item. Hot water keeps the flovor in the item, so when you make boiled potatoes first bring water to a boil before adding the spuds.

Joe

KARMA to JOE if learned something new<br><br>Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2007/09/25 05:13

I use cold water too. Why do I feel a correction coming on?????

Dan cooks. Yep, he does. He makes the best meat & potatoes. He fixes it all up in a roasting pan - adds carrots and potatoes, (not cooked) and mushroom sauce. He just seemed to evolve into this cooking thing. My question is, where were you, honey all those years I cooked for us?? :P

Since the boys are gone, I tell Dan I am retired from cooking. Oh I cook sometimes. Twice a year. Thanksgiving, & Xmas. {Feel-good-0002006E}

NOT! I cook when our sons bring over their families. Our oldest son, Lee, lives in San Jose, so when he comes to visit us, its breakfast, lunch, & dinner. I enjoy it.

I don't think Dan cooks anything else from scratch. At least I can't think of anything right now.

But, he does do dishes, puts them in the dishwasher and turns it on. {Feel-good-0002006E}

He helps with the vacuuming because sometimes I just can't do it. He's a real keeper.

KimMcQ

Well Kim the correction was in the previous post from Joe, we are doing it all wrong, boiling our potatoes in cold water when we should be putting them in hot. Man I feel like I am in the hot water myself, I learned to cook from my mother and I guess she didn't know any better, but I never found any fault with her. She made many home cooked meals, she had to with 11 kids around, 3 meals a day, 365 days a year, you do the math.

Kim I'm glad to hear Dan can cook if he has to, my hubby can't and won't and I wouldn't eat it anyway, heck the dog probably wouldn't touch it.

But we are learning something from the man here, we have a bona fide Italian cook in our midst and I intend to milk him for all he is worth.

Joe

Kim, I've been cooking that’s where I’ve been.

When you want the flavor from item to add to the flavor of the dish you cook it from a cold state. The cold or liquid will draw the flavor to the sauce or soup or anything else.

For instance making chicken soup you start it cold with all the items, because you want the flavor in the soup.

Joe

Kristin, fry off a Lb of bacon. Strain the bacon grease with a coffee filter or something fine. NOT HOT but room temp. Use one part oil and one part grease. Cook off the chicken as you always do.

I soak my chicken in milk, and use plenty of flour S&P the flour. I let it stand for a while, about an hour. This should make a paste like coating, then fry away.

Joe<br><br>Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2007/09/25 06:35

DayosMom wrote:

My question is, where were you, honey all those years I cooked for us?? :P

KimMcQ

I was out making the Bacon, while you relaxed at home just taking care of our Sons ;-) Now I'm gonna get it :ohmy: :S :dry:

Anyway, this is a great topic and as all are learning "Men can Cook" !! :-)

Yes that was a low blow, Dan, and I hope Kim makes you sleep on the sofa tonight, better yet I hope it is in the doghouse, sofas can be too comfy. You will pay for this foot in the mouth, Dan, and you take her out for dinner tonight and treat her like she deserves. And don't think I won't check up on you, because I will.B)

I know there are more men out there that can cook, they certainly can cook up a bunch of baloney if you catch my drift.:S

OK joe I got a good one for you. I love to cook but just learned that my new girlfriend has a major food allergy. She's allergic to wheat gluten. Now this really puts a cramp in things because all the foods I like to cook pretty much have flour in them in some form, or wheat, barley etc. She introduced me to rice flour yesterday, but also said it took her like six months to learn how to cook with it and it come out right. Any suggestions would be apreciated as I would really like to surprise her. Thanx JD

This might help you out. It works well.

Joe

BASIC RICE RECIPES

for those with allergies

Over 100,000 people are unable to eat foods from grains such as wheat,

barley, rye and oats; others may also react to millet and buckwheat.

This condition is known as Celiac Sprue Disease and is basically a

problem of malabsorption. The primary treatment calls for the omission

of any product that contains certain proteins, namely gluten.

Rice, a non-allergenic food, is ideal for the gluten-free diet, and is

suitable for most allergy diets. An added bonus is that it's also fat,

sodium and cholesterol free. Rice comes in many forms including white

and brown rice, flours, rice bran and rice oil. It is also very

versatile; rice can be served as a snack at any meal as an appetizer,

entree or dessert.

If you are following a special allergy diet, remember to read labels

carefully. Ingredients often change from one product to another, and

even from batch to batch from the same manufacturer. If the label is

not clear, you can write or call the manufacturer (look on the label)

for specific ingredient information.

We hope you find these recipes, and the accompanying information

helpful. All of the recipes are wheat-free.

For those who are also sensitive to milk and eggs, suggestions for

substitutes are given on the following page.

When wheat and wheat flours are not used in baking recipes the final

product tends to be coarser and denser. Here are some hints for making

better foods, and some ingredient substitutions if you are also avoiding

milk and eggs.

SUGGESTIONS

==========

* Include brown rice flour and rice bran in soups, casseroles and baked

goods to add more fiber.

* Add dried fruits, nuts or chocolate chips to batters to improve

flavor and moisture-retaining qualities of baked goods.

* Bake gluten-free items in smaller sizes - like cupcakes, muffins, and

biscuits; bake quick breads in mini loaf pans for better texture.

SUBSTITUTIONS

=============

* Thicken sauces, gravies and cream pies with rice flour. Use the same

amount of rice flour as wheat flour. Whisk rice flour and liquid

together and heat over medium heat until bubbles first appear for a

smoother mixture.

* Combine dry cream of rice or dry crushed rice cereal with dried herbs

and spices to make a tasty breading for fish, meat, or poultry.

* Substitute _one_ of the following for each cup of wheat flour in

recipes:

7/8 cup brown or white rice flour (1 cup minus 2 Tbsp.)

5/8 cup potato flour (1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp.)

1 cup soy flour + 1/4 cup potato starch

1 cup corn flour

1 scant cup fine cornmeal

* Use Rice Dream or Amasake, pure rice liquids; or Eden Soy,

Lacto-Free, Tofu White (all contain soy); NutQuik (made from almonds)

to use in place of milk. Several infant formulas are made from a

base of soy or corn, check the labels to be sure they fit your needs.

* Replace milk with fruit or vegetable juices; and experiment with

yogurt; many people who are allergic to milk are able to tolerate

yogurt and other cultured dairy products.

* Add EggBeaters (found in the refrigerated egg section and in the

freezer case) or EggReplacer (free of egg, dairy, corn, soy and

gluten) a dried product, to replace eggs and lower fat and

cholesterol in recipes.

* Use buttermilk or yogurt in place of milk for lighter finer-textured

products.