NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

is this a 'MYTH'??

Momo

hi everybody,

yesterday i went to birdshop to buy some pellets n seed for momo.

there is a guy working there and he said:

'if you want your grey to talk alot,u musnt make him out of cage too much.it will make him enjoy to explore and playing instead of pick up new vocab'

so what u think about this statement that he give me?

its not important for me if momo talks or not since i still let him out 10 hours everyday,but just want to make sure if this is true??.:confused:

haha yesss i knew it is not true :)

momo always out and i found him more vocal when he is out.he can kill me 6 hours non-stop for whistling,screaming,chattering,and making a weird sound.interesting.

thanks everybody for the quick reply!!

A the other have said It should make no difference and besides I don't think there is such a thing as to much out of cage time. Greys thrive on a stimulating environment. Just talk to Momo about what is going on as you might a small intelligent child and let him hear you speak with other family members and he will more than likely surprise you with what he learns and understands.:)

Steve n Misty

Thru my experience, Sophie has vocalized more away from the cage thru games, reading childrens books and interacting with all of us. She is only in her cage to sleep, otherwise on her gym during the day when I am at work, then she is running to the door when she hears my car pull in. I many times have to ask her for a " potty break", before I pick her up! nancy

hello..

ok im sorry i post too soon and ask too much :)

since i read alot of article from internet,i find some article that confusing me.

specially this one,i never hear this before.

what u think?

is this true??

SWITCHING HUMAN BONDS

There is another difference between Congo and Timneh Greys: switching bonds from one human to another. Congo Greys have a reputation for deciding to change their bonded humans, usually from the primary caregiver to a spouse or older child. This can be heartbreaking for the persons who have grown to love the young Greys they care for. Therefore, I decided to run another survey, since I had not heard of as many instances where Timnehs switch allegiance from one person to another.

Again, these surveys rely on personal experiences of African Grey owners, which may not always be as objective as a controlled laboratory experiment. Therefore, they should be considered possible trends, rather than outright facts. In my survey, which included equal numbers of Congo and Timneh Greys, 63 percent of the male Congo Greys changed their preference from the primary caregiver to another family member. They did this between the ages of two and three years. Sixteen percent of the female Congo Greys in the survey changed their human bonds.

The trend indicates to me that if Congo Greys live in a family group or nursery situation, they may leave that family group to choose their mates as they become sexually mature, in order to keep the gene pool pure for the survival of the species. If male Congo Greys are the ones who select mates, that would account for the high percentage of males that change pair-bonds as they mature. In our human world, the primary caregiver may represent the family or nursery group to the young Grey, while the other human family member is the rest of the flock.

But, what about the Timnehs in my survey? A big surprise to me was that no Timnehs of either sex changed their pair bonds. Some even added the other human into a multiple bond at various times in the Grey’s development. There were no rejections of primary caregivers, as with the Congo Greys. The natural assumption here is that perhaps Timnehs don’t live for extended periods in family or nursery groups, so they do not have to reject that group (or human) in order to find suitable mates.

http://www.africangreys.com/articles/greys/species.htm

I think whether you choose a Congo, or Tinneh, they have so much to offer! Either, will make excellent additions to your family.

Thru our experience, allowing any of our birds, or dogs, to accept one family member, was never an option. We have always been a " package deal" All birds go to all of us. It was my expectation, as flock leader. Sophie, my grey, tends to think more, and gets concerned when there is a stressor. I remind her, " I will worry and figure it out!" I know she worries. and I remind her, " I will deal with this responsibility!" I think she is refusing to stepdown, because she knows, I'm worried. I don't know how to let her know, everything is okay. Nancy