NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Unusual grey

Chenliu85

I have a 4 month old grey that I've had since it was 2 months. She is a bit different from other greys. She is not afraid of anything. She has recently decided to entertain herself by flying really close to our dogs' head. This is really dangerous since one of our rescue dogs is not the friendliest to other pets. I try to keep them separated but she likes to scare the dog when it is sleeping. She has learned to fly very well but I don't think she understands that the dog is 66lbs more than her. Can anyone help? She also enjoys chasing them and having them barking at her. For the most part, they have come to ignore her but sometimes she takes things too far. Also, I understand that greys are smart but mine just learned colours. I play touch x colour. Hahah she knows red, blue, yellow, and green. She also recognize the colours in different object eg red shirt vs red toy. This seems unusual. Oh yes did I mention she likes to cuddle with cats? This bird is very different from the descriptions on african grey. It is not scare of anything, loves to cuddle, will eat anything or anything I am eating... And loves to freak out the other pets bc she knows they are kinda scared of her. So comments... I am a bit of a novice when it comes to African grey ownership. Any well intended comments or advice is always welcomed!

I have a grey that is also fearless and will go to anyone that comes into our house and put the fear of GOD into our dog.

There is no safe place in our home that she won`t fly to and find you.

P.S. We refer to Corky as the Queen Mother

Edited by Ray P

Welcome our forum and thanks for the introduction of your new baby grey. :)

Being a baby and learning from her parronts namely you. She does not have any clue in regards the dangers of the real world yet. Since you have allowed the games she plays with you dogs to continue and she obviously enjoys it. You will have a very hard time stopping this activity with out removing the dogs from her area. Your right, it is very dangerous and one day (depending on your dogs) one will get excited enough to possibly jump up unexpectedly and try to snatch her out of the air. The cats are another animal that could inflict deathly harm at any moment, even with the claws that if they pierced the skin could pass on a deathly infection that will kill her. You have many things to consider here for the safety of your grey, but only you are actually there seeing the dynamics of all this and can make the judgement call on what you may need to do to stop them if you feel they are indeed a threat.

I would love to photos and a video of the color selections when you get a chance.

• Sad 1

Welcome to our family. I would never allow that behavior between birds and dogs. It is a natural born instinct for a dog to snatch a bird. They may never show that behavior, but it is engrained in them, and if the wrong thing happens, you are not there, or they get angry or frightened, that I stinct WILL kick in. I have a dear friend that lost their bird in that manner..:(

As for cats, they have a poison that is emitted in their claws and in their saliva that is meant to kill their prey, a scratch or bite WILl kill your bird. You know how our arm or hand might itch after our cat scratches us? Thats why. It is deadly to a bird or rodent.

• Sad 1

You have a very smart grey and a fearless one at that, I must say I am surprised that he could be that way for greys are known for being afraid of everything. I too have to caution that these games might be cute now but the day could come it might turn deadly, maybe you could put the dogs in another room when she is out.

Would love to see some pictures and what is her name?

Learning colors at 4 mos. Please post video of that I would love to see how you do it. I would love to train Dorothy on this! Please be cautious of the interaction between your bird and the other animals. Remember you need to parent your bird just as you would a child. Make sure that you take every precaution to keep all the animals safe! I also have a fairly fearless grey and I know we have to always be deligent about safety!

Chenliu85 Your baby sounds amazing! She sounds sooo much like Sophie, 12 years later. Of course, safety is first. Sophie learned to interact with dogs, but they are 10 pounds each. She rules, tells them when to go out and pee. Can't do that with most breeds.Never trust your dogs. As far as cats, I don't have any since I am allergic.

Always encourage her free spirit and trust, while keeping her safe. Nancy