NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

daughter getting service dog sunday

Guest candismalli

Guest candismalli

Hi all- we are adding to our zoo on Sunday. My 13yr old daughter will be getting a puppy that will be trained to be her service dog. She has schizophrenia and intellectual disabilities. We are so excited for this for her!! It will probably take a year of training to get the full certification, but after the 3 sets of puppy shots (he has had 1st), is housebroken, and has basic puppy training he will get his service dog in training cert & can go anywhere with her! Brownie is a mini Aussie- that is the breed that the trainer said would be the best for her personality etc.

We already have 3 rescue dogs unfortunately none of them are good candidates for it :( our shepard beagle is too old, our boxer lab is too neurotic, and the chiuaua makes her nervous, oh well. This will be the first dog I am buying, I believe in rescues but this is a different circumstance.

This will end up costing a fortune for the dog & all the training for the next year, I now feel guilty spending our tax refund on my Grey & cage etc, but we will find a way to make it all work out in order to do this for her!

Mini Aussies are just the BEST dogs. We lost ours last August and I miss him everyday. They are so smart and fiercely loyal. How exciting for your daughter to have a new companion in Brownie. Duke, our mini, was such an empahetic dog. He always knew exactly how you felt and acted accordingly. I also SWORE he was a mind reader because it seemed sometimes that he knew what I was about to do before I knew it!!! Congrats on the new family member :)

Guest candismalli

So sorry about your Duke. I thank you for reassuring me about the breed. I have never known any mini Aussies, just that we were told that would be the perfect service dog for her according to the very experienced trainer. Of course I have also looked them up on the internet, but it is so much better to hear from someone who has had one.

It will be an interesting study to see how your new puppy learns to be a service dog and companion for your daughter. I love that you are working hard with the whole zoo and making it work for your family. Don't let yourself feel guilty about spending your tax refund, it was earned and of course we will always have new expenses. You won't regret the love of your grey or the new mini aussie. You just can't put a price on love.

My sister has 2 mini-Aussies. They are wonderful dogs. One she just recently adopted. She was a nursing home therapy dog. her job was to go to nursing homes and spend a little time with the different patients alllowing them to pet her, talk to her, whatever they needed. She is the most gentle, smart, loyal dog I've ever seen.

Oohh red merles are just gorgeous!! Our Duker was a black tri and he was such a handsome guy. He was the best little guy ever.

If I ever get another mini aussie I want a black tri. :o) I'll be starting a new thread about a dog and I'll include a couple of pictures of my mini aussie, Kalia.

Kim

Guest candismalli
My sister has 2 mini-Aussies. They are wonderful dogs. One she just recently adopted. She was a nursing home therapy dog. her job was to go to nursing homes and spend a little time with the different patients alllowing them to pet her, talk to her, whatever they needed. She is the most gentle, smart, loyal dog I've ever seen.

that is great! Therapy dogs are awesome! I remember my daughter being visited by one when she was in the hospital years ago, and of course it brought the biggest smile to her face!

Guest candismalli
I hope she enjoys her new company

Thank you, she sure is! This little ball of fuzz is so sweet & loves her so very much

Guest candismalli
Any pictures? My mini aussie is a red Merle and I love her to pieces. :o)

Kim

I will hopefully post picts soon!