NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello and thank you for the forum

inkdemon

My name is Leon and I am about to adopt a congo grey within 48 hours. I went and met Corey earlier today at his home. He is leary and shy wich I assume is normal,as this would be my first grey. I have had 2 cockatoos in the past. One who lives with my ex,the other who lives with my best friend( I was moving and was told no pets). Corey has nibbled on my fingers 3 times,and otherwise was warming up to me with an occasional word or two,and allowing me to pet him. I had him up on my fingers as well. So I honestly believe with a lil time and patience he will accept me and the family as his own. I will be reading through posts and ask an occasional question,so I say thanks for any and all help before hand. I will post some pics soon enough as well. Wish me luck.

Hello and welcome. We are here to help and look forward to your contributions.

Given the history you wrote above, one thing I would strongly recommend is that you carefully consider before committing to another bird. These are life long pets and it can be quite distressing to them if they are passed from home to home. Obviously life circumstances may change in an unpredictable way, but it is in both the birds and your best interest to be 100% certain you are committed. If you need to move, you need to find a place that allows pets, etc.

Please dont take this the wrong way, its just something to carefully think about. ;) If you decide to commit, they are amazing friends and great contributions to our lives.<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/09/24 22:44

Hello and welcome to the family, Leon, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about Corey.

You are going to find a grey is an awesome creature and you will wonder why it took you so long to finally decide to get one. You do have experience with parrots but greys are a little different from cockatoos.

You are doing the right thing to read thru the different topics and threads here, we have a lot of good information compiled here and a lot of it will come in handy in the future.

He is going to be cautious and leary of you for a while but with time and patience you will be able to bring him around and make a fine companion, he just needs your love and support. Don't rush him, give him plenty of time to adjust.

I look forward to seeing some photos of him, and by the way, how old is he?

Feel free to ask us any questions, we will do our best to get you an answer as quickly as possible. I know you are going to love it here, you won't find a nicer or more helpful bunch of people anywhere.

Leon, welcome to the forum :) A new Grey owner. (well very soon) I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences being that I'm not a Grey owner and contemplating having one as well ;)

Welcome Leon!!

You have started on the right path in providing your new Grey with a good home by joining a Forum with loads of great information on just about any Topic you will need to know from foods to training.

We'll look forward to hearing more from you, especially once you get him home and the fun begins. :-)

THank you all for the warm welcome. I do realize this is a life commitment. THe first TOO I gave to a loving home because of circumstance. My other wich still live with my boys and wife was left behind only because Zoey bonded to her in the split-up and really doesn't want me near her. Maybe she senses? Who knows. But was not my intention to leave her. But I did seeing she was happy and still amongst the family she is used to. But I do understand the point and agree. THanks once again. Corey will be picked up in just over 24 hours. And I cant wait!! THanks again one and all!!

Well we can't wait either so be sure to let us know when you get Corey, and post a photo so we can admire him also.:P

FairY, how wonderful you are considering getting a grey also, I didn't know that but the same things apply to you also, but if you do decide to get one, you will finally understand how we all feel about ours. They truly are amazing creatures.:)