NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wingy's yummies.

Wingy

I'm still working on learning the blog setup and figuring out how I want to set it up. When its up and running it will be called Recipes4parrotsandparronts. Until I am ready to open it I'll throw some recipes here. This is one I tried tonight. It was pretty simple and I didn't have to fuss with it much. It could easily feed a family of 4.

Todays suggestion is courtesy of Rachel Ray.

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/budget-recipes/linguine-with-eggplant-ragout

Now I used reduced sodium tomatoes and choose to salt/pepper my plate and not the whole dish. This dish was good but was missing something. I'm thinking that a good pinch of bruised caraway seed or hot pepper flakes would be a flavorful addition. OTOH my partner in crime thinks it need rounds of Italian sausage.

I do understand that this recipe contains garlic and there seems to be conflicting information on whether or not garlic is a parrot safe food. I've read yes, I've read no, and I've read just a little. You'll have to make up your own mind on this one because I can't find anything concrete one way or the other except that www.mysafebirdstore.com carries foods that contain garlic.

Happy eating!

Wingy

Edited by Wingy

I'm still working on learning the blog setup and figuring out how I want to set it up. When its up and running it will be called Recipes4parrotsandparronts. Until I am ready to open it I'll throw some recipes here. This is one I tried tonight. It was pretty simple and I didn't have to fuss with it much. It could easily feed a family of 4.

Todays suggestion is courtesy of Rachel Ray.

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/budget-recipes/linguine-with-eggplant-ragout

Now I used reduced sodium tomatoes and choose to salt/pepper my plate and not the whole dish. This dish was good but was missing something. I'm thinking that a good pinch of bruised caraway seed or hot pepper flakes would be a flavorful addition. OTOH my partner in crime thinks it need rounds of Italian sausage.

I do understand that this recipe contains garlic and there seems to be conflicting information on whether or not garlic is a parrot safe food. I've read yes, I've read no, and I've read just a little. You'll have to make up your own mind on this one because I can't find anything concrete one way or the other except that http://www.mysafebirdstore.com carries foods that contain garlic.

Happy eating!

Wingy

oo now that sounds super yummmmmy I love eggplant!

This one is not fid friendly.

I made this recipe yesterday and really liked it. http://www.crumbblog.com/2012/01/part-of-a-complete-breakfast-multigrain-apple-muffins.html I used Red River Cereal because I'm trying empty the container. I peeled the apples since I don't care for the peel cooked. I used local raw filtered honey. I refuse to use that honey bear stuff from the grocery store. Most of that stuff comes from China. I much prefer to support my local bee keepers.

Multigrain Apple Muffins

Ingredients

1 1/4 cup milk

1 cup multigrain hot cereal (ie. Red River or Bob’s Red Mill)

1 egg

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup canola oil

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup flour

1 tbsp flax meal *** see below

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup diced unpeeled apples

Instructions

In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until small wisps of steam begin to appear. Remove from heat. Stir in the cereal, and let stand for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F and generous butter the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg, honey, oil, applesauce and vanilla until smooth.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to the wet ingredients, along with the softened cereal, and stir until the mixture just barely comes together (it’s okay if there are a few floury streaks here and there – the key is to avoid overmixing).

Fold the chopped apples into the batter, then spoon into the prepared muffin tin, distributing the batter evenly between the cups.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out with a moist crumb.

***You can make flax seed meal by grinding flax seed in your blender. I have a mini food processor that works well.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really good but I did substitute some things based on my tastes. I replaced the onion with match stick carrots cut in half that I steamed for 3 minutes in the microwave just to get a little soft and I replaced the cilantro with curly Italian parsley and a fresh basil leaf and cut back on the dill.

This goes nicely over brown rice, wild rice, lentils or in place of dressing for a bowl of mixed greens. (the seeds from the cukes and peppers can be saved for your fid to have an extra tasty snack)

Summer Cucumber Salsa http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=299416

Ingredients

3 medium-large cucumbers

3 small-medium tomatoes

1 green bell pepper

1/2 cup red onion

2 jalapeno peppers

2 Tbsp minced cilantro

2 Tbsp minced fresh dill

3 squeezes of lime juice (either from wedges or a lime-bottle)

Directions

(20 minute prep-time is for chopping up all the ingredients.)

Peel cucumber (if desired- you can leave the peel on if you prefer- I usually do, or at least leave some of it). Remove seeds from cucumber and discard, and chop remaining cucumber flesh into small pieces.

Remove seeds from tomatoes and discard. Chop remaining flesh into small pieces.

Remove seeds from bell pepper and discard. Chop bell pepper into small pieces.

Remove seeds from jalapeno peppers and chop into very small pieces (or mince).

Chop red onion into small pieces.

Mince cilantro and dill.

Combine all chopped veggies in a large bowl.

Add cilantro and dill and mix together well.

Add a few squeezes of lime juice and mix together again.

Edited by Wingy