NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question from impatient mommy...

Sassy

Hey everyone...

I'm trying to patiently await the arrival of my baby CAG. It is extremely difficult though... THe exotic bird shop I'm getting my CAG from uses a breeder in TN and the store and I are located in PA... What I would like to know is generally how old are CAG's before they can be shipped?? Just trying to figure out how big "he" will be when I see him the first time... I was told it'll prob be another week or two (I sure hope not as I'm already going bonkers)... once at the shop they are continued to be hand feed untill they ween and then they can go to thier new homes....

In the mean time i'm working on straightening out my home and rearranging furniture to make room for the cage... I still need to get the used cage all cleaned up (weather hasn't been cooperative) as well as creating toys for them to have when they come home. The other thing i want to do is find a way to protect the wall from geting dirty (as well as the floor)... I was thinking of hanging a sheet/shower curtain that would go down the wall and under the cage... ANy thoughts on that?? I also plan on building a feeding station (think tidy seed) to keep the food mess to a minimum. Hubbys thought on that was to give him a dustbuster to clean up after himself (at least hubby is making jokes now so I guess he's starting to come around).

Sorry for the long post...

Sassy

The age varies that a grey will be weaned and ready to go to their new homes, some take longer but the sure thing is they shouldn't go to their new home until they are fully weaned and eating well on their own.

I know waiting for your baby to be ready to come home is hard but it will soon be time and then you have the rest of your life to spend with him so patience is your best friend.

He will be about full size when he comes to you, they may pack on a few grams more but birds grow to full size very quickly.

If you can get some plexiglass sheets to put up to protect your walls that would be better than hanging sheets and it would wipe clean, I don't have any protection on my walls as my birds are not the throwing type but many are.

Maybe I didn't explain well enough... I know that I probably won't be able to bring home my baby till July sometime after he's weened... what I'm trying to figure out is how old will he be when he's shipped from the breeder to the bird shop... they are NOT weened when they arrive at the bird shop... the bird shop will continue the hand feeding and do the weening. Sorry for any confusion. I like the plexiglass idea on the wall... thanks!

Maybe I didn't explain well enough... I know that I probably won't be able to bring home my baby till July sometime after he's weened... what I'm trying to figure out is how old will he be when he's shipped from the breeder to the bird shop... they are NOT weened when they arrive at the bird shop... the bird shop will continue the hand feeding and do the weening. Sorry for any confusion. I like the plexiglass idea on the wall... thanks!

Approx 10 weeks old.---------Hopfully, no younger.

If you have a "seed" guard around the sides of the cage you shouldn't have to worry much about the floor except say in the door area. I have a perch on my cage door to make it easier for him to come in and out. He will either perch on that or on top of the door itself. I have to keep newspapers on the floor in that area only. The rest of what he causes is sweepable with a broom . (shredded bits of paper, bits of dry food)

I do not have a seed guard (no idea the model of the cage either to get one)... ALso I will have the cage in the den so it is on carpet... I'm planning on putting a chair mat down to get a hard surface that's cleanable.

Yes you can hang a sheet up with a curtain rod to help with the mess. Put another sheet down on the floor under the cage. Bed sheets make great floor and wall protectors. If you have high ceilings you can join 2 sheets together so it covers the full length. Because your bird won't be eating the sheet feel free to decorate it using dye or non toxic child safe fabric paints. This way you have art instead of a sheet behind a bird cage. If you really want to be sneeky you can make a fake window by using the sheet/painted sheet or even sheers and add curtains. Ta-dah, fake window disguises a mess catcher.