NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Calling all creative thinkers. I need some ideas.

Wingy

I live in an old house. It is not quite 100 years old. Every where you look there is wood trim with almost 100 year old varnish on it. In the living room I have 4 fixed pane windows that with the molding are approximately 30" x 20" and are about 8 inches from the ceiling. Everything is original and all moldings have been varnished, never painted. Floor to ceiling varnished columns and a varnished 18 inch header separate the living room and dining room. My kitchen has the original wood and glass fronted cabinets with the thumb turn brass hardware, and wooden counter tops, again all varnished.

My problem. I expect that the varnish is toxic. I really think I need to come up with some way to cover the window areas and columns to prevent them from being chewed on. That should be easy, right? I have to do this without putting any holes in the plaster or wood. The landlord is adamant about it.

Any ideas? One other tidbit. I don't have any curtain rods that I could build on. I ended up putting curtains on spring rods to block out some sunlight.

Just in case your wondering no my house isn't drafty. The walls are the old plaster and are 10 inches thick with no cracks. Yes, I do have a milk door. No, I don't have a coal chute but I know where it was. Yes, all the doors do use skeleton keys. No, the house isn't haunted.

Edited by Wingy

Jayd I'm usually pretty good at ideas but this one has me stumped. The 4 windows I need to cover are my only windows. If there were any other source of natural light I could have sheet metal covers made that I would slide onto heavier spring rods and hide the whole contraption behind large framed posters. I tried sliding cardboard panels in the window just to get the feel of the room with the windows covered and it was like a cave and not in a good way.

Edited by Wingy

Thanks, Wingy, It's hard, Renting is always a challenge, Does your landlord have any suggestion? Could you make a contraption that would cover the frames and you could open to let the light in? or maybe something like a folding screen that sits on the floor and is movable? here's a example:http://www.bulletinboardpanels.com/PageRoomPartitionA.html

Thanks Jay

Salsa is a Orange-wing Amazon. My personal preference is a Amazon. Please check out the Amazon Room. Thanks Jay

I may not explain this correctly but here goes... My thought is a punch metal screen of sorts. You could make one with hinges to wrap around columns. ( like room dividers but altered to your need ) Or...

The command strips are wonderful and do not damage walls or varnish. They go by weight so you could use them to hang window coverings, even around the columns. ( put rope/string thru both top and bottom hems of say shears, attach with command strip hooks to column and scrunch em together like pleats )

Thanks, Wingy, It's hard, Renting is always a challenge, Does your landlord have any suggestion? Could you make a contraption that would cover the frames and you could open to let the light in? or maybe something like a folding screen that sits on the floor and is movable? here's a example:http://www.bulletinboardpanels.com/PageRoomPartitionA.html

Thanks Jay

Salsa is a Orange-wing Amazon. My personal preference is a Amazon. Please check out the Amazon Room. Thanks Jay

Screens might work around the pillars and would give an attractive place to land.

I may not explain this correctly but here goes... My thought is a punch metal screen of sorts. You could make one with hinges to wrap around columns. ( like room dividers but altered to your need ) Or...

The command strips are wonderful and do not damage walls or varnish. They go by weight so you could use them to hang window coverings, even around the columns. ( put rope/string thru both top and bottom hems of say shears, attach with command strip hooks to column and scrunch em together like pleats )

You know those command things might just work for the windows. If I start even with the top of the frame a curtain rod can rest on the frame for support but be held in place by those command things.

Keep the ideas coming folks. I have lots and lots of wood to cover.