NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

11 week old Charley just flew!!

Guest candismalli

Guest candismalli

Charley just flew to me, he landed on the couch. I put him on the play stand part of his cage a little bit after and he flew again, landing just a little clumsily at my feet when I called him to me! He is 11 weeks & 1 day. Is this early? He is my little sweetie!!

Its about that time that he takes his first flight and his landings will get better with practice, greys can be clumsy when they are young and since they are heavy bodied birds it takes a while for them to build up the muscle to control those flights. You might want to not put him up too high on playstands so he has less area to fall and maybe pad the floor somewhat until he gets the hang of flight. Bet you were so proud when he flew to you.

Guest candismalli

Oh I am soo proud! He did much better than I would have thought, but I am definitely going to take your advice & not open his "condo" on his cage so he isn't as high up. From all that I read on here I knew he would be clumsy, but he seemed to be more coordinated than I am, lol!

Guest candismalli

Katana- he only flies to me, it has only been a couple of times, and I kept coaxing him, holding his formula out to him to get him to come. He flaps a lot, but doesn't want to fly unless he absolutely has to, lol

Guest candismalli

I soo remember my 3 kids first steps, but then the chasing after them to keep them from destroying everything and escaping got old fast, lol. I know it will be the same with Charley :(