NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hormonal behavior?

Amali

I've noticed this with Amali a few times in the last couple of weeks and last night it seemed more pronounced. I went to cover her cage for the night and tell her goodnight, and opened the cage door for a couple extra scritches and kisses, and she got all chirpy at my fingers, trying to do the baby feeding thing on them, and dropped her wings down and hunkered down a little. Everything I've read and heard indicates this is hormonal behavior, but she's only 9 months old. Is this normal? Is it hormonal? I know not to rub on her back, etc and really only pet her on top of her head and around her beak/jaw. Is there anything else I should be sure we don't do?

Thanks!

Thanks so much, Dan. I didn't think she could be sexually mature yet, but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. And yes - it is extremely cute when they act like that; she seems to be doing it even more since I was gone for about five days earlier this month. Talk about guilt trip! LOL

You don't have to worry about petting her down the back as young as she is, now on the other hand I do have to be careful as Josey is nearing 6 years of age and I don't want to encourage any sexual behavior, enjoy your baby and touch her as much as you can and she will allow for now, it is sweet when they act that way.

When my son Ryan is home, and has insomnia, he sleeps on family room floor. ( personally I think because Sophie comes and snuggles, and he can sleep). As he sleeps late like any teenager, I always find Sophie sleeping with him. While he continues to sleep, she does a " mating" dance, with his feet. It is quite interesting to watch. BUT.... she is not a baby. Always love them for what they are!

I never correct Sophie's behavior. We all know she loves Ryan to death. It doesn't affect any of our relationships with her. He also, goes back to school, and she is okay with that. The only person she absolutely struggles with, is Ryan's girlfriend. She will sit between them. Of course, he always chooses Sophie! LOL We've tried to get Sophie to accept her, not going to happen. In the family room, Sophie is chosen as his " best" girl. Sophie is pleased! Then Ryan goes off with his girlfriend, and Sophie is fine with it. I love how easy it is to please Sophie! Nancy