NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

ideas...

Sassy

Hey everyone....

I need some ideas... things to do really to get ready for my new addition... and to keep me from going bonkers... I'm trying very hard to be patient... still haven't heard when the babies will arrive... but they should be some time this month. At least at that point I'll be able to see them and spend a couple nights a week visitng them before they can come home.

Currently on the list of to do items:

CLean used cage and replace perches.

sell hermit crab stuff (extra money and more room)

rearrange den to put in the cage

get airfilter

get additional humidifier

Any other ideas on how to deal with the waiting or things i need to do to prep is appreciated.

thanks

Sassy

Thats an excellent idea Janet, Sassy you should look thru the homemade toys room for lots of ideas and suggestions for making toys from common items found in most households so they cost very little and it will use up some of that time you have until your baby comes home.

If I may, a very simple, cheap but useful toy can be found at Walmart, It only cost a couple of dollars, it's 3-4 strand of 3/8-1/2 inch sisal with some wood blocks tied on it. The bird, "Tiels to Grey's love it, a main benefit is when all the wood is chewed off, all our fids will play with the curly rope. What they do is "gum"[?] their beaks!!! just like a baby gums your finger....Are they using this as a "mouth cleaning aid". This is one essential [Huygens] toy we always have on each cage and one on the outside community perch on Joe's cage. [lol] Thanks Jay

Sassy... you need a travel cage, a play gym, metal or wood. At least three toys in new cage, two on play cage. Cement and wood perches, is something I would suggest. Decide if you will cover cages at bedtime.( cover, if thats what you choose). Read alot about stepup training. It is the first lesson any bird should learn. Nancy

welcome :D

My baby just got home and I definately made me a list of things I needed/wanted before she got home and you have covered alot of it but I also got a bird scale so I could keep an eye on her weight. Course as it got close to time to bring her home I started to stock up a bit on pellets and seeds since the pet store is pretty far away. I try to keep enough on hand for 3mo. But I have found they are wasteful (at best) alot of the time so seems Marco loves to put her head in the bowl and just shake it back n forth sending seed flyin everywhere lol :rolleyes:

How are you on toy making. Most greys love toys. Making some toys would certainly keep you busy.

I love making toys for my grey.

Here's what I do, in case you want any ideas:

Chicken LOVES colors, red his favorite, so when I'm out I keep my eyes open for bobbles and knick knacks he can pick up and shake in his little fist. Check the package though. Made in china usually means lead paint.

Tie them together with straps of leather, or chain. If you have light colored leather, find some safe dye and change the colors of it, the bird will enjoy it more.

Let it dry, hang it up, watch the play.

Also, I've found toys for small dogs, like toy chiuhuas, are a great hit.

welcome :D

My baby just got home and I definately made me a list of things I needed/wanted before she got home and you have covered alot of it but I also got a bird scale so I could keep an eye on her weight. Course as it got close to time to bring her home I started to stock up a bit on pellets and seeds since the pet store is pretty far away. I try to keep enough on hand for 3mo. But I have found they are wasteful (at best) alot of the time so seems Marco loves to put her head in the bowl and just shake it back n forth sending seed flyin everywhere lol :rolleyes:

My parrot is a total wastrel. I'm sure you know this, but just spend the next month or so bonding with the bird. Don't worry about training or any of that stuff, just let the little girl grow to love you. If you have a clicker though, now is an excellent time to start pairing the noise of the clicker with praise and a treat. (save the clicker, ignore training) It makes teaching birds to do things extremely easy. Chicken turns off lights, opens soda/beer cans and asks to go to his stand when he feels unsafe. I did all this in a month with clicker training.

I totally wanna learn to do the clicker thing!! great idea thanks ........ I gotta find one and get it! what do you use as the little treats ?? I havent found that 1 thing she goes nuts over yet ...

Try pine nuts. They are small enough to use as training treats. Ellie loves them, but your mileage may vary...

I don't know anything whatsoever about clicker training. I guess it is time to do some research...