NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Playstand I made for Dorian

I actually made the playstand almost a year ago, then did the video a few weeks ago, but just got around to uploading it finally. I built it in front of Dorian, and he surprised me by getting right on it. I think it also helped that he has a few java perches, so the materials looked familiar. Anyway, have a look, and try to ignore my shakey video.

• Haha 1

Thats a really nice playstand and thanks so much for the directions on how you made this come together, you are very creative and know how to make this work for Dorian, you knew what you wanted and made it happen, Dorian is very lucky to have you taking care of him and I have no doubt that putting it together while he watched had everything to do with his acceptance of it when finished, you did a wonderful job with it, thanks for sharing it with us all.

Nice video tour, Dorian is so relaxed and happy on his beautiful new play stand. Great job and thanks for sharing so we can be inspired to come up with our own someday. I love the natural look of your wood. He is a lucky boy for you to work on his happy place. I love the adding machine tape for him to do his "financials". Jac looks relaxed and happy in the background. I saw your other post about Dorian trying to get a little cat tail snack and laughed. This was very informative and fun to see. Thanks.

Aw, thanks for the compliments guys. It's nice to be among people who have the 'wow that's great' reaction, instead of the 'all that for a bird? Shouldn't he be in a cage?' reaction. When I got Dorian his first Java branch I knew I wanted to make him a playstand out of it. To me it's almost sculptural, and it's also a really hard wood. It's expensive, so for a while I was a member of a branch-a-month club, until I had enough to put the stand together. The only thing I don't like about Java wood is it stinks when you drill or saw into it. Also smells a little when it gets wet, but that fades fast.

Anyway, after all the help and education I've gotten here, I'm glad I could inspire some creativity. <3 from Dorian and his slave!

• 4 weeks later...
what was your source for the java wood?

I purchased them through a pet store. Here in Ontario Canada they're distributed by Burgham. The branches themselves are from a company called 'Beaks!' I think A&E Cages carry Java branches. Alot of stores can order them but don't keep them in regular stock because of the space they take up. Hope this helps.

I'm in awe. You are my hero for the week. Talon mentioned that you are an inspiration for the gals without a man to do handywork. I need a woman like you to do such great work for me! I can't imagine being able to accomplish what you did. Kudos to you!