NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What's the meaning behind your birds name?

brianlinkles

I thought I would start this thread as I find it interesting to hear why everyone chose their birds name. I'll start: I must have had three pages (front and back) filled with every concievable name. I had one name for a boy however my cag turned out to be a girl. Three pages, both sides with nothing but girl names. (It was worse than naming our "human children"!) The family could not agree on a name, I was starting to worry that when our baby came home she would remain nameless!LOL Well, my 14 year old said what about Dorothy? Instead of ruby red slippers, she has a ruby red tail, so Dorothy it was!

Now how did you come up with your names?

we had 1 dog named hermes (we lost him to a stroke a few months after getting kallie) and our peach front conure athena when we rehomed kallie. we had just lost our other dog lily to a brain tumor. at one point years before we also had a box turtle named herman. so we for a while, we had herman and lily (munster) and hermes and athena (greek god and goddess). we renamed kallie. it was a slow process, but she took to it just fine. her original name had been honey and the family said they didn't think it was really her name, more of an endearment. she'd never said "honey" and was just starting to talk. so i started looking into names. i came up with kalliope, a greek muse. as a name it means "beautiful voice" and it fit kallie perfectly. she has a very soft and beautiful voice!!!

i love your story of how dorothy got her name!!!!

Stewart got his name from the Saturday Night Live skit they did, " nooooooo" with his foot pushing people away and how he would jump and clap saying "look what i can do". Oliver got his name because when we first got him he had just one row of green feathers on his head and when you looked at him from the front he looked like a stuffed olive.

pikachu, i was convinced athena was a girl when i got her. she seemed like one to me (don't know why, maybe having a houseful of boys, lol). well, 2 years in she plucked all the green feathers off her chest so the vet decided it might be best to find out what we had, in case this was a "breeding" thing so we could watch for egg binding. well, athena is really a boy, lol!!! but she's still a she for us, hahaha!!!

What a fun thread! It took me FOREVER to come up with a name for my Chickie. I went through tons of names and nothing seemed right. My breeder was saying, "I'm not rushing you but it really helps if I have a name to call her to get her used to it." I thought I almost had it figured out a few times, and then my boyfriend would veto it and it didn't seem right anyways. From day one I always called her my little chicken, but I didn't want to name her Chicken. I kept calling her my little chicken and then one day I called her my little Chickie instead, and it stuck. I knew right away that was her name. It fits her so well. :). I changed the spelling from Chicky to Chickie because I thought it was cuter and finally we had a name!!

Once we decided to get a grey,we started researching African names. When we first started visiting the breeder when the 2 clutches were 6 weeks old we interacted with them all and waited a few weeks until one decided to chose us. At about 12 weeks old is when we decided which name fit the grey we were going to take home and that name was Dayo which is from the Swahili dialect meaning "Joy has arrived".

I believe my greys really named themselves. Let's see as for my TAG, she is a little lady and I love the name Ana so it fit perfectly with Grey so she became : Ana Grey. As for my CAG, he is a beautiful light grey color like silver so he became: Sterling Grey. Louie is a re-home BF Amazon and he came with his name. The name fits my comical zon.

Edited by luvparrots

Well Fergie, get her name in two ways the first is that when we looking for a Grey all the names we liked had been used and we wanted something different, we searched bird names and African grey name sites, but all the same, so my wife asked what is my favorite female singer, I replied Fergie from the BEPs, and then since my wife's family is from the UK I wanted some for her too since there was Sarah Ferguson, boom Fergie it is .

I mulled over a lot of names but I kept coming back to Josey as in The Outlaw Josey Wales, I love Clint Eastwood movies especially the westerns and I decided that the name had to be that, you don't hear a lot of birds or even people named Josey so thats what I went with. That was to make up for naming my sun conure Sunny, now how original is that, I bet there are more suns named that than any other single name.

Geez... after thinking about it, I never got to name any of our birds! Sophie, came with her name ( I LOVE it!) Sean wanted to find a baby. When we went to the birdstore, he already had the name, just needed to find the bird to pick him. Sunny was a rescue, and he has all the colors of the sun. Ryan chose Sunny. ( beats icecream), his first name. Nancy

That was to make up for naming my sun conure Sunny, now how original is that, I bet there are more suns named that than any other single name.

Our blue Quaker is named "Blue" because her indecisive owner, my daughter, couldn't decide on the "perfect" name.

So, I had to call it something besides "the bird".

Edited to add, our Cockatiel's name is Pikachu because my son is a Pokemon fan & the Tiel looks like Pikachu with its yellow face & orange cheeks.

Edited by pikachu

I mulled over a lot of names but I kept coming back to Josey as in The Outlaw Josey Wales, I love Clint Eastwood movies especially the westerns and I decided that the name had to be that, you don't hear a lot of birds or even people named Josey so thats what I went with. That was to make up for naming my sun conure Sunny, now how original is that, I bet there are more suns named that than any other single name.

I guess Blondie wouldn't fit.

willo is for willo trees which is my favorite tree in the world. my grandmother had 3 in her yard.every summer when i was little she would read to me under them and we would share her home made molasses cookies. and i have willo tree them in my kitchen. what a great idea for thread!

Talon was named by my oldest son. She was a Xmas gift for him 6 years ago, she has since been adopted by me since I was mostly her caregiver anyways.

Rikki came with her name already, I am her final and forever home #4....:)

Nilah I got to name. I wanted a beautiful amazon forest name, and my kids googled rainforest names as we were driving back from the store with her, they found Nilah among many others, and it was beautiful just like she was. So I actually got to,pick a name! In my house, all our animals are adopted and they came with names except 2.

When I started this thread I only spoke of our grey Dorothy but I thought I would add to the thread on how our rescue lilac crown got her name and how our daughter decided to name her soon to be here cockateil. Kiwi was a rescue and in terrible shape, her name was "Kitty" I didn't like it and I wanted her to have a new start. However, she was my first bird and I wasn't sure we were doing the right thing by changing her name. My husband came up with the name Kiwi since she could not fly due to a horrible clip. I am not opposed to clipping however hers was so terrible that she would drop like a rock, no glide what so ever. A Kiwi is a flightless bird as many on here I'm sure know. She is also bright green, so he thought it fit. I wasn't thrilled with the name since I think it may be the most popular name in the entire bird world! LOL I usually like a little more unusual name, however as I have said before naming with your spouse is always challenging! I didn however think that Kiwi was similar to "Kitty" and might be less confusing than something entirely different so we went with it! My daughters new cockateil was dna'd we knew he was a he. She loves history and wanted to have a historical name, we live in Dayton Ohio (home of the Wright brothers) my husband said Orville and she jumped on it, so Orville it is. Funny thing, we were at the pet store the other day and found a swing that looks like an airplane so of course that had to come home with us! Now that I look back at this post I guess my husband is the one that did most of the naming of our birds, wow, I must be a pushover!! LOL