NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My 8 week old congo african grey letharic

incubusjay

I have just bought a 8 weeks handfed African Grey recently.

From the day I have it with me, I find that it Stays put in one place and moves very little

It does not respond to any other stimuli except when being fed with syringe. Even then it does not stretch its neck to reach, if I show the syringe a little away, It Does not bend down to reach for any food like small seeds or fruits that I keep below in small cups. Is this natural for this stage of the bird or is something wrong with my bird.

I am anxious since this is the first parrot i am hand feeding. I forgot to add.. it keeps making making minute squeaking sounds when anyone of us are around.

Edited by incubusjay

The best advice I can give you is to go back to the breeder where you got this bird and let them finish the handfeeding process until the bird is weaned, an 8 week old bird is much too young to be with someone with no experience and so much can go wrong, please I implore you to do this right away as your baby's life depends on it.

I third it... remember, you'll have around 50 years with your bird... what's 8 weeks later? I know that you want your little guy home... trust me, I was there just a few weeks ago... but having your guy come home when he's ready will be easier for both you and be better for him

• 3 weeks later...

First of all i'd like to Thanks for your help and quick reply and am sorry for the late reply with the thanks and stuff.... i have to say that what kins2321@yahoo.com told came out to be true. The breeder refused to take it back until he was weaned. And am happy and proud to say that he is doing really good now. All my problems have been sorted out. He is around 11 weeks old now and he has started to eat his vegies and fruits and some seeds. I have placed my order for pellets on the internet cos i don get pellets in my country(India). And i am also sure on one thin even though it is fun and all taking care of a baby bird, i do not want to put its life at risk as i am a rookie at hand feedong. So in case i am planning on getting another bird, he will have to be weaned. I am totally with you guys on saying ROOKIES, NEVER BUY AN UNWEANED BIRD, not only and african grey but any bird.

I am so glad to hear your baby is doing good now, you really had me scared when you posted that thread, at least you know now that baby birds do need to stay with the breeders until they are fully weaned but that myth is still out there that if you do the handfeeding yourself the bird will bond with you sooner and better.

What is your baby's name? We would love to see some pictures of your new baby when you get the chance.

Yeah judy as u said i was tricked by him saying tht it would bond better with me. till now i was thinking it was tht way.

I have named my baby Smokey :D. i know it is kinda childish but i like it and i am sure the baby will too :D

yeah i put up the photos tomorrow or so:) once again i'd like to thank everyone who have helped me :)