NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about Harrison's pellet size

monax

I just got a 6 month old Timneh African Grey about 3 weeks ago. He had previously been on a seed diet, and our vet suggested that we convert him over to pellets along with fresh vegetables and fruit. I have him transitioned to Harrison's High Potency coarse pellets, but I notice that a lot of it ends up on the bottom of the cage. The pellets seem way too large for him to hold and a lot of it crumbles onto the ground as he tries to eat them. Harrison's sent me some samples of the High Potency fine pellets, which are significantly smaller. The fine pellets seem easier for him to eat, and I'm noticing that I'm not refilling the bowl as often as probably more of it ends up in his stomach than on the ground. However, the fine pellets are not exactly the same as the coarse in composition (the fine pellets have higher protein, less fat - which may or may not be appropriate for an African Grey).

I could use some advice here. Should I stay with the coarse pellets and cut them down to a smaller size, or should I go with the fine pellets? I would add that he's not exacting wasting away here...has gained about 12 grams in the last 2 weeks (to 308 grams), so either way he's not starving. It would be nice to avoid unnecessary waste, but more important that I feed the best food for him. Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome to the Forum! Harrison's is a very good pellet. The High Potency Fine is an excellent choice for your Timneh. A Grey should be on a high protein/low fat diet. Greys have high cholesterol issues which can lead to heart complications. Thanks. It is slow around here on Saturday and Sunday...I know you will get a lot of answers come Monday. Keep the questions coming.

Jayd

Just a few words on greys requirements for protein and fats.

Since the fruit of the red oil palm is a staple in the diet of wild greys, it is no surprise that greys in captivity appear to be better able to cope with slightly higher levels of fat in the diet than most parrots such as amazons, conures etc.. In fact, such levels appear to be beneficial and necessary. There are numerous anecdotal reports of decreased feather-destructive behavior when greys’ diets were modified to provide them with increased amounts of essential fatty acids.

African greys evolved to enjoy optimal health from eating a diet high in palm oil. Our African greys need an adequate amount of fat, specifically essential fatty acids. Thus the reason most of us on this forum provide red palm oil in the daily feedings of our greys.

I know that theres a lot of waste, but I would stick with the coarse. It's a good exercise for them to practice maneuvering with their foot. Yes theres waste, but there can be waste with small pellets as well... I was at the bird store last week and there were birds throwing out handfuls of food in single swoops... (granted they were macaws, but archimedes also goes through his food swoop days)

I use a 3:1 ratio, with the bulk being the fine.

I think it keeps the pellets from becoming monotonous and helps exercise her beak when each bite is a different consistensy.

The fine she goes through so fast & the coarse she wastes a lot when they are put in her bowl separately.