NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I want one.

ariisamis

I got it bad! I am still waiting to bring my bab AG home, and today I fell in love with a amazon. It mixed between a blue front and a double yellow head. Beautiful baby. Please help me and tell me to slow down get my grey and enjoy and and wait to get an amazon only after I have researched, can afford one and know that I am able to handle two birds. I need your help, lol. This baby is beautiful.

Slow down! Ok now seriously, I know how addicting these feathered beauties can be! Trust me everytime I see another baby I would like to bring it home. It's hard to wait to bring home a baby, it takes lots of patience! However, just wait it out, look forward and prepare for your new baby! There will ALWAYS be adorable babies out there, trust me! Spring is here and everytime I go to the bird store I fall in love over and over again! However realistically speaking you must know your limitations! I have a rescue lilac crown amazon (that is now in her extremely cranky hormonal stage) and a young CAG. My daughter has a linnie & we are waiting to bring home a cockateil baby for my other daughter. Now they are old enough to care for their birds however I still have to over see their progress. I know that this is my limit! In order to keep our house clean and free of "falling food" LOL I spend alot of time every day cleaning. Birds require so much thought in order to keep them active, fulfilled, busy & happy that I cannot imagine having another large parrot. That does not mean that I don't often dream about what type I would like next! But you already know you should wait! When do you bring your AG home?

Really good advice Brianlinkles, thanks. ArilIsaMis, please for us check again what kind of Amazon it is. A Blue Front,aka Turquoise Amazon, and a Double Yellow head, aka Yellow head are to different kinds of Amazons. Thanks Jayd

Have you had parrots before so that you know what is involved in parronting one?? If not, as much as I love my amazon, I would have to honestly tell you that you need to wait to see how your grey fits into your life. To properly give a parrot the true attention it needs, one to start with is definitely enough. But after your grey settles in and you know that you are truly a parrot person, I would recommend a zon as your next parrot!! LOL!!!

Thank you, that's what I wanted someone to tell me I have plenty of time to get another fid. just got caught up in the momement of seeing such a beautiful amazon. It is a hybrid, the mother is a blue front and the father is a double yellow head. Is it ok for breeders to do that? Or if in the future I do get another did is is best not to get a hybrid?

It will be over 200,000 years before a New World parrot will be domesticated like our faithful dogs. Dogs have been crossbred for many, many years, our New World parrots have been in human captivity for less than 600 years, and bred less time than that... Lets say you have a Blue front parrot that has a different life span, a different diet, a different size/weight, a different personalty than a Yellow front, question, what will the baby's life span be? younger or older what will it's personality be? Etc....And mostly, will this breeding cause "New hereditary problems" Time has been to short to answer these questions.....I as others on thr net oppose "Hybrids" My opinion....Thanks Jayd

Thank you so much. I didn't even think about about it being a problem while at the store. I just thought what a beautiful baby. This pet shop does not breed, they get their birds from breeders. When I asked if this was the only one I was told yes this was the only egg that hatched out of a clutch of 4. I knew I was not going to get this baby because it has been a while since I have owened a AG. Before I get another I truly want to spend time getting to know and taking care of the one. But this is good info to think about . Thank you.

Thank you, hatch rates can sometimes be a sad thing... I myself would buy a hybrid, and take the chance, I would just like to see the breeding of them stop. I love all birds, especially if I can help them...Thanks so much Jayd

Why do we human, who love birds so much, always seem to live so far away from each other. I find it refreshing and energy building to simply read the dialogue between people who genuinely care for birds. My kind of people. ch

I am dying to have an Amazon too, but i have decided to wait and see if i can handle the 2 lovely parrots i have now. They are a lot of work and i can hardly give them the attention they need, imagine three. I am lucky to have a maid who is helping me cleaning the cages and preparing food for them, but they need more than a maid to be happy friends.

Edited by TWIX

While I was waiting for my baby CAG, I got seriously enamored with a young amazon but thankfully held off those MBS urges. I keep going to the Amazon room and watching videos for my "fix". Even on my most self-controlled days, I feel the urge to "just look" and then I wonder where I would put that third bird palace. LOL. All in good time, I have yet to meet the parrot that didn't enchant me. We are all as close as the keyboard to share our love of these exquisite characters. I am looking forward to joining you on the journey to living with your african grey.

Thank you everyone. I know a non bird lover is not able to understand this so I am happy to have all of you who really love birds help me make wise decisions. And please don't misunderstand me I am still super happy about my baby grey. I am going to a bird mart this weekend to see of I can find toys and a travel cage for her. I can't wait to get her home.