NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Deep Fryer

Talon

I recently purchase a large Fry Daddy deep fryer. I worried the 2 times we have used it. My birds are usually in bed, cages covered whe we have used it and I open a couple of windows, (cold outside) .

Do I need to worry and be concerned? Or can I relax a bit about it?

Hi Penny, I am going to try to give an answer to this one...the danger lies when the temperature of Teflon or non-stick coating reaches 350 degrees. This can happen all too easily, unfortunately. My personal feelings is to use it outdoors with windows on that side of the house closed, just to play it safe. PFE is just as dangerous...

Maggie

It doesn't look like Teflon, but I can't be sure.....we have been opening 2 windows, it has o temp setting, just turns on and heats to a pre set temp, but not sure what that is. I will try using a thermometer and check it. Didn't really do any research cause I thought it would be safe,but now I am worried...my mistake....my kids love it and want to deep fry everything.

do you have a vented hood on your stove? maybe you could set it up and use it on the stove with the vent hood running to suck away any fumes. or if your stove is too small maybe you could set it up on the counter very close to the stove with the vent hood running to suck away any fumes. that's what we do if i have any concerns over fumes or odors from the kitchen.

The only safe way is to get something like: This is only my opinion...Jay

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kalorik-Kalorik-135.26-oz.-Stainless-Steel-Deep-Fryer/17623537?srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=32-111316999-2&adid=1500000000000029469730

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160650768758?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

It only takes 30sec for a full size MaCaw to aspirate

Edited by Jayd

I recently purchase a large Fry Daddy deep fryer. I worried the 2 times we have used it. My birds are usually in bed, cages covered whe we have used it and I open a couple of windows, (cold outside) .

Do I need to worry and be concerned? Or can I relax a bit about it?

Want some piece of mind? Go with KFC. Say hi to the colonel.

This is the first one I have had in 30 years, using Canola or peanut oil mostly. NEVER visit KFC, sorry Dave, too unhealthy for my taste......

Still hoping I can find out its not Teflon, it doesn't look like it, but I will be calling them later and seeing what they will tell me. My kids are concerned about the smell of the oil permeating the house....harmful? ANYONE?????

UPDATE: I called the Presto customer service line. The woman I spoke with looked at the list of of parts and said Teflon was not listed as being in any part of the Fry DAddy Elite that I had purchased, but that she would research it more and call me back in a while. I explained how deadly Teflon was to my parrots and I didn't want to risk them dying because of it.

She called me back and said the only coating used is on the removable pan that holds the oil. Thenpannis coated with Anodized Aluminum, and no teflon at all in the model i bought. I will now have to do a quick google research to check that product out, but so far, it sounds ok.

If anyone knows, I'd love to hear!

UPDATE: I called the Presto customer service line. The woman I spoke with looked at the list of of parts and said Teflon was not listed as being in any part of the Fry DAddy Elite that I had purchased, but that she would research it more and call me back in a while. I explained how deadly Teflon was to my parrots and I didn't want to risk them dying because of it.

She called me back and said the only coating used is on the removable pan that holds the oil. Thenpannis coated with Anodized Aluminum, and no teflon at all in the model i bought. I will now have to do a quick google research to check that product out, but so far, it sounds ok.

If anyone knows, I'd love to hear!

This should put a sparkle in your eye

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-anodized-aluminum.htm

That's interesting that that model doesn't have Teflon according to the manufacturer. Most of the units that I've looked at in the stores have a Teflon lining. I got rid of both of mine. (Which is no big deal for me - it isn't hard to deep-fry on the stove...)

I am probably one of the healthiest eaters on this forum. I haven't had a deep fryer in over 30 years, nor do I eat deep fried food when I go out. But I wanted to make corn fritters to have at our Easter dinner, not something you can purchase, thus my purchase of a deep fryer, haven't used it since other than my daughter made her and her boyfriend French fries and fried dough twice.