NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Used cage

Sassy

Hello...

Last night I purchased a used cage for my future baby... The previous owner gave me some rope perches and toys. WHat is the reccomended way of cleaning these (as well as the cage itself) prior to bringing home my baby?

THanks

Sassy

Get "Hydrogen Peroxide" and White vinegar, 2 spray bottles and clean rags. Wash the cage with water using a rag for the hard spots, then mist with vinegar. Let air dry, then spray with vinegar, and spray with Peroxide and let dry..... Rope perches, throw away, plastic toys, soak in vinegar and sun dry,[food, water cups etc] wood perches I discard and bye new.. Jayd

What if the previous parrot who lived in that cage died of a virus infection? The cage won't be right for your future baby bird then and i don't know if the others agree with me here. The best way to clean them is to soak them in any bird-safe disinfectant and then expose them to the sun for a day or two. I would also recommend using vinegar along with the disinfectant. This was the vet advice to me when i bought DJ after my Twix died in the same cage that i bought new.

What if the previous parrot who lived in that cage died of a virus infection? The cage won't be right for your future baby bird then and i don't know if the others agree with me here. The best way to clean them is to soak them in any bird-safe disinfectant and then expose them to the sun for a day or two. I would also recommend using vinegar along with the disinfectant. This was the vet advice to me when i bought DJ after my Twix died in the same cage that i bought new.

Thanks, read the ingredient's in what ever you use. Besides Vinegar/peroxide, there is only one other disinfectant available, I forgot the name, Ask Danmcq , he knows... Thanks Jayd

thanks... fortunately the bird that was in the cage didn't die... the owner was relocating and needed to get a smaller cage... luckily i have lots of time to get everything prepped. :)

Unfortunately bacteria and disease can still exist..Birds, as humans, can also be carriers.... Thanks Jayd

If I were getting a used cage I would not bring it inside until I had cleaned it with a solution of Simple Green and warm water, followed by a long thorough rinse and then disinfecting with a solution of bleach and water and lastly a several hour sit in the sun.

Simple Green as a general cleaner is bird safe for both indoor and outdoor cages and aviaries, yes I've checked with the manufacturer, but should never be used on a cage while birds are inside or directly on any bird. I use the concentrate that gets mixed with water instead of the spray. I'm not a fan of aerosol or spray type cleaners.

Never! use "Simple Green" with bleach!!!! that can be deadly, never use bleach with a detergent!!!, Vinegar, with peroxide you can use "with" the bird in the cage; and a hospital product you can purchases most all bacterias. I'm sorry, I can't remember it's name..Research "Apple Cider Vinegar, ad White Vinegar.....Jayd

I never said use Simple Green with bleach. I said wash with Simple Green, rinse long and thoroughly and then use a bleach and water solution. Clean then disinfect then sit in the sun.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase: Never use bleach and simple green or any other detergent on the same thing your cleaning...Please research, Simple green, bleach, ect can leave a residue that can cause a reaction... Thanks Jayd

Hi, what we do if the cage isn't to bad is just the vinegar/peroxide, if it's real dirty we scrub with a mild detergent, water rinse and dry, then spray with vinegar then with peroxide. [The vinegar/peroxide is a disinfectant...] Thanks Jay

My apologizes, I don't remember saying it wasn't, So sorry. Thanks Jayd

thanks!!! hopefully I will have time this weekend to get the cage cleaned up... right now it's sitting in the garage... I have plenty of time though as I haven't even picked out a baby yet... hopefully they will be in soon... i'm soooooooooo anxious....

Sassy

Greetings. If I may, The cleaning method I mentioned is a cleaner and disinfectant. As "Wingy" posted, Simple Green is a Greyt cleaner, it's not a disinfectant. Simply Green sells it's disinfectant under a different label, they have different disinfectant for sale.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=is+simple+green+a+disenfectant&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35

In using your favorite cleaner, after everything is dry, spray with vinegar then peroxide or vice-versa it doesn't matter.Bacterial can't live in a acidic environment, the Ph of white vinegar is 2.40-2.80, this is why it is such a good cleaner/disinfectant. We use vinegar for so many house hold needs, I use apple cider vinegar as a tonic, my doc has said it has helped me in so many ways, 8oz water, 1tbs ACP, 1 tbs honey, heat water to 110 degrees, drink it, but first let your fid drink some, they love it.

Thanks "Wingy" for your wonderful posts...Jay

MSDA

http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/MSDS_EN-US_AllPurposeCleaner.pdf

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_msds.php

Please don't use bleach, you've been givin so many safer means of cleaning....I't caustic, it's vapor can burn a parrots air sacks, if accidentally it comes in contact with detergents it's vapor can kill humans as well as birds....

Does any one have any new suggestion for cage cleaning? Thanks Jay

I wonder what avian vets use to disinfect cages and surfaces.

Good post and question. Why don't you give 3-4 a call, we have no avian vets with in a 100 miles. Thanks Jay

Edited by Jayd
65 one way, 100 the other