NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Loving And Understanding Our Parrots

Talon

I would like to let everyone know that in this room, we have many stickies about understand body language, biting issues, and general handling of your birds.

It's always good no matter how many years you've had your parrots, no matter how much trust you have between the two of you, no matter how bonded you are to your parrot to RE-READ them every once in a while as reminders.....

I have seen many posts here in the last few months by some members about FORCING yourself on your bird, NEVER appropriate! Or acting as a PARENT with expectations of them behaving like a child, NEVER a good thing for your birds mentality, it will have an effect over time, and just insisting they behave in the way YOU feel they should, WRONG!

These are wild creatures, they will never be domesticated, and expecting them to become our "pets" does nothing but put stress on them that WILL effect their health and mental state as they age. It is up to US their care givers to do everything we can to understand their behavior, accept it, and LOVE them unconditionally. Understand there will be days where they mis behave, just like children, days where they are into everything and driving you bonkers, days when you feel like all you do is follow them around cleaning up after them, days when you are exhausted from work, your kids, life's stresses and just don't have the patience for them, but understand, although they cant possibly know what stresses you have in your life, they CAN feel it, they WILL know when your sad, mad, they WILL feel when things arent right with you and they WILL love you unconditionally. But ONLY if you allow them to be the wild creatures that God intended, not children that must behave according to OUR rules. And in return for that small gift you give them, you will have the most beautiful relationship with a wild bird that you could ever imagine! They will love you, tease you, go to any extreme to get your attention, some days they just want to be with you, you don't need to talk to them, touch them, or feed them, they are just happy to be WITH you. They will call for you, get excited to see you, and forgive you if you RESPECT who they are, if you don't respect them, then you WILL be raising a very troubled parrot.

Remember, they DIDN'T ask to be brought into our homes, they have no say over their living conditions, they can't tell you what they do or don't like, we have to figure things out for ourselves by allowing them THEIR rights and understanding them.

Food for thought......

• Haha 1

That is so true, and well said Talon. Many people buy parrots or pets in general and they expect them to be perfect, no mess, no noise, no needs and the list go on. When days pass by, they will start ignoring the pet and then one day they will try and get rid of them. It is a huge responsibility, it is a forever relationship and a commitment for life.

I feel the need to bump this before I go off on a rampage....:( sorry all........

Take a DEEP breath...

You can't change the whole world. Keep doing what you're doing and a lot of good will come of it...

Talon,I treat my birds as "free spirits!" their cage is never closed! Yes, I treat them as children, not a bad thing. I treat them as my children. They are! Yes, they are wild birds, but they are in our homes. How do we treat them? I treat them, as " part of my family, with behavior expectations". I ask them as the flock leader, to say" please, thank you!" I teach them manners, what is expected of them socially. I also teach them to accept " differences in opinion".

I am sad, that while I have the " perfect" family, I have been soooo stressed, when Zoey had two seizures last week, and noone responded. Nancy

• Sad 1