NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Truth, myth or lies.

Ray P

As I was reading through a number of threads and post and I see many questions that fall into three categories when it comes to our parrots. Some of the information comes from other forums about parrots and may not give the right information that a new person starting with parrots needs.

There is a post called (Is a grey ok for a first time bird owner) and this is a good question, but they had a quote that they said was from an anouther forum that compaired greys and cockatoos. Thats like, comparing appels and oranges and I don`t think that was a fair or helpfull answer to the question.

I was so glad and proud to see the moderators and members on this forum step up and put their two cents in.

Yes you need to know the good and the bad, but as a parrot parent you need to know how to bring out the best and what it takes to have a life long companion.

A myth and or lies can set you up to fail, but this forum wants you to succeed and have many years with your companion.

Good job Jayd, Dave007, luvparrots, Jeffnok and xSarahx

Thanks Ray. I'm a first time parront and I chose a grey for my first bird. If I had simply relied on the typical information one finds on the internet, I would have been discouraged from getting a grey. I joined the forum one year before I brought home Gracie and that year of education really helped. Although I agree that greys are complex and can be a challenge, I feel very comfortable sharing life with her. I still have tons of questions and miles to go in my relationship with Gracie, but I have never regretted my decision to get a grey. Those internet generalizations just don't describe the experience I have had so far.

Thanks Ray!

It's rare that I come across a forum with so many supportive and helpful people. In other forums I had received a LOT of misinformation and some really negative feedback, however every time I pose a question or comment here it is met with respect and is really helpful. Before posting here I was extremely discouraged in getting a Grey because of some information received however, now I am very confident and have been doing a lot more research and preparing for the baby. I'm sure many of you will be extremely helpful in the future when I run into issues and bumps along the way, and it's greYt to know there are so many helpful and supportive people on here..

Edited by cheebamaster

Having a grey, as a first bird, sounds like a wonderful choice to me! Sophie ended up adopted at age two, behind a rescued Sunconure, and a baby Amazon. It didn't really matter where she fell... she became the flock leader, and has been so, for over a decade. She doesn't bite the other birds, she just rules! She rules the dogs as well. Of course, I rule, over everyone, and my rule, matters! LOL Of course, I always take into consideration everyone's input, and rule fairly! Nancy

I can't tell new owners, how great it is, to have a grey first. I can only imagine. Sophie was last, adopted at age two, behind a rescue, baby Amazon and two dogs. The ruler of our animal kingdom was an 18 year old Lhasa Apso. Add a new 10 week Maltese pup. Max picked Sophie to rule within a few weeks of meeting her. I wasn't sure of his choice, and let him know. He continued to choose her. I told him, he was wrong! He stuck to his guns, Sophie was going to be the leader. She is! For the past decade, Sophie rules, and does so fairly.

When Zoey had a seizure on Saturday, all animals came out to see if she was okay. Everyone was quiet. It was all about Zoey. I LOVE that I was concerned about Zoey, wasn't interested in playing. They all new and respected the situation. Nancy

I didn't do as much research as I should've BEFORE I paid the downpayment for Ellie.

After then, I tore through the internet and read a couple of books. I did get a bit nervous and started to reconsider whether a grey was appropriate for me.

But after I got on this forum, I started to feel that I could handle it.

I think it is good to always be a little nervous about owning a grey - just so you don't become complacent in your knowledge...

After having many pups, guinea pigs, ( I had no interest, the rescue we got, was on his last home). He chose us ! Our first bird hated all humans.BUT... he met my son, and fell in love. How could I refuse? It was a good decision. Our sunconure we have had, bonded with Ryan when he was nine. Ryan is now 21. Sunny LOVES him, just like the day he met him. Nancy