NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is a grey okay for first time bird owner?

cheebamaster

I won't bore anyone with the particular details but my girlfriend (who lives seperately from me) currently adopted a 3 year old rose breasted cockatoo...it's only been a few days but the experience is ...not good. I've posted for some help on another forum but the bird is rather aggressive and lunges to bite..drawing blood a couple times now. The whole experience has been disheartening and while we're both very much dedicated to providing an excellent home and learning how to care for the cockatoo it was brought to my attention that "grey are just as difficult" as cockatoo's.

This is the quote from another forum

"Cockatoos and Greys are some of the most difficult birds to own, even for experienced owners. If you made a list of birds with the highest potential for severe behavioral problems (aggression, biting, screaming, feather plucking), Greys and Toos would be on the top of the list.

They are extremely intelligent and have excellent memories and are prone to holding grudges for weeks, months, or years. By "holding grudges" I mean you do one thing wrong and the bird remembers this one single misstep and mistrusts you for (potentially) an extremely long period of time.

You can "get away" with certain mistakes with say, a budgie, but Greys and Toos are "less forgiving" and the mistakes you make with them can lead to severe behavioral problems down the line."

In your experience since I would be a first time bird owner is this sound advice? Should I first start with something like a conure or cockatiel before progressing to a grey?

I'm sorry, I hate to hear things like this, it's not completely true. A 'Too or Grey requires more patience and understanding then other bird. To start with, If I may, look into getting a Amazon, please visit our Amazon room. With the experance your having with your 'TOO, a Zon would be a great bird for you. Lets start with your 'Too...Noisy? Yes, most 'TOO's are noisy, this isn't "Behavioral", this is natural, they love and greet the day and there life. Demanding, This is natural for them, them are about the most demandi...ng parrot there is. Grudges! A "TOO is very forgiving if they are understood and the particular 'TOO's problem is handled correctly. A Rose is one of the harder "TOO' to rehome. Many things can cause plucking, both in Greys and "TOO's...It sounds as if your Rose is abused, not just a re-home. I'm afraid she'll be re-homed again, this is bad.....

Greys: I feel a person should have atleast good experiences with owning a larger parrot before getting a Grey. To having a Grey is very similer to having a child. You need to research, talk study, TALK, before even thinking about getting a Grey. A Grey is treated much as a child is, be prepared to take up 24/7 care of a Grey, no vacation unless you have some one who will take care of them the same as you. A Grey has the mentality of 6yr old and the emotion of a 3yr old. Any bird is what you make of them, it's how you treat them and care for them. Yes, Greys require more care then most birds, "TOO's require more attention then then most birds, All birds require research and study before there purchased... Read our Forum and you will learn a lot from these Greyt people...

Thanks Jayd

***aggression, biting, screaming***

WRONG___WRONG____WRONG

Greys are well known to be the quietest bird in the parrot world.

As with any other parrot, greys will bite but there's always a reason. That's why a list of BODY LANGUAGE is posted here in a sticky. Many other parrots won't give any warnings about biting. READ THE LIST.

Intentional aggression doesn't exist in the grey world unless the grey had gone through many unusual stages when living with many others.

****They are extremely intelligent and have excellent memories and are prone to holding grudges for weeks, months, or years. By "holding grudges" I mean you do one thing wrong and the bird remembers this one single misstep and mistrusts you for (potentially) an extremely long period of time.*****

Grudges!!--------parrots don't hold grudges. A person saying that is giving a parrot too much ability and intelligence. Parrots may not like a certain person but there's always reasons. Plucking happens sometimes because a grey prefers to pull it's own feathers out as opposed to dealing with a person. That applies to greys. It's called nervousness. That applies to TOOs. It's up to a person to study a species ( any species). Greys are one of the most popular in the parrot world.

As far as cockatoos, they're known as pluckers because that happens if the extreme interaction with people is very limited. They're clingy birds. Greys are somewhat aloof. Total opposites. Greys and TOOs are worlds apart as far as species go. Many TOOs wind up in shelters because many scream a lot and that's natural. That's their sound. They're not the only species that does this. A TOO isn't for the person who lives in an apartment or townhouse. Neighbors will complain about the yelling.

I could say other facts but for now, tell the person who's saying this to ease up on whatever drug they're smoking. That kind of smoking affects the brain cells.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks everyone, I'll be posting any further concerns/questions in this forum since it appears I'm getting hogwash elsewhere. You all have been a great help. I'll be spending a close amount of time in the upcoming weeks with the TOO and if I feel confident enough to make a lifetime commitment towards a grey I will. The needs of the parrot will always supersede any "wants" I may have.

I've attached a picture of the baby I'm hopefully looking to get!

IMG_4146.jpg

I got a grey as my first bird. I, like you, also read plenty of advice on forums trying to discourage first time parrot owners from getting a grey and to try a budgie or cockatiel first. I think this happens not because greys are so terribly difficult, but because many people might get a grey for the wrong reasons and aren't prepared to open their lives fully to the bird. Many greys get locked away in cages when the novelty wears off. I just want to say that I wouldn't trade my Gracie (8 month old CAG) for the world. In some ways it has been much easier than I expected. In other ways it has been a challenge--but in a good way!!! I do have to be sensitive to her and try to understand her and modify my behavior accordingly. Greys are individuals like people are individuals and we have to take the time to really observe them and learn who they are. With a dog (God bless them) it's usually smooth sailing, love and cuddles once they are house broken and get over the chewing phase. My Grey seems like a little person in a grey suit who surprises me every day. I have to analyze my actions more than other pets I have had, but it really hasn't been an issue. I wish you and your girlfriend luck with the rose breasted cockatoo (i think they are wonderful birds but they are quite different from greys). The pic of the baby grey is precious. Follow your heart and know that this forum is full of people who know tons. It has been a godsend for a newbie like me.

I had 2 cockatiels for a year before i got my CAG,and it has made no difference to my feeling like a complete novice and at times inadequet (ive got to stop trying to use this big words i dont know how to spell lol) My tiels are not tame,so mayby they meant get tame ones??..anyway

We got our CAG Archie on a whim,i was scared of birds and would have a near on heart attack when ever my tiels flew,my hubby wanted a grey,so off we went,didnt research nothing i stupidly assumed it would be the same as the tiels but just wants cuddles every now and then,the plan was i wouldnt go near due to my fear my hubby would do all the work,what do you think has happened?? Archie bearly `tolerates` my hubby and iam the chosen one,i cannot do anything without my baby attached to me and if i leave the room without him it is not peaceful as he contact calls me,which ofcourse i return.but you know what,i wouldnt have it any other way!!i love my baby and knowing my baby loves me makes everything worth while

I notice the whole mess thing has not been approached,now this i deffinatly wish i new, if you are house proud a grey is not a wise choice,i was very house proud and still am although it is a struggle,my lovely £2000 leather reclining sofa is ruined!it has been chewed to an inch of its life , my curtains are now in the bin , i was going to get blinds but not now!

I can honestly say i have never heard Archie scream,but then iam at home all day , aat most he is left for 1-2 hours once or twice a week while i go shopping,he is out of hes cage from the minute i wake up ,about 730 am untill 8pm,if he contact calls me i answer nearly every time

This website is deffinatly the best i have come across,any concerns are helped and any questions are answered,sorry i cannot compare to a Too but i have never even seen one so yea lol

Every person on this forum made the right choice in having a Grey as a first parrot, no exceptions. When a person chooses a Grey as a first parrot, everyone who knows me knows I'm the first person to be there to offer any help I can. This instance is speacil. It doesn't fit into the example stated. If anyone wishes, please check out these posts... Thank you, Jay

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190309-A-note-on-Punishment-and-your-Parrot/page5

#26-35

When you're looking at becoming a first time bird owner, you shouldn't be concerned about *that parrot isn't a good first bird* because the needs of a parakeet is different than the needs of a hyacinth macaw. When you are looking for your first bird you need to see what bird are you comfortable at handling. A grey needs to be handled a lot, and mentally stimulated a lot. If a first time bird owner is fearful of their new grey, they won't take it out, and they won't give it all its needs. However, if the first time bird owner is ok handling the grey, and is able to understand and meet the grey's needs... then a grey would be a perfect first bird.

I know my dream is to one day have a macaw, however at the time, I don't feel 100% confident in handling them, because I wasn't accustomed to reading their body language, now when I go to the bird store, I feel more confident, and hopefully, when the time is right.

When you're looking at becoming a first time bird owner, you shouldn't be concerned about *that parrot isn't a good first bird* because the needs of a parakeet is different than the needs of a hyacinth macaw. When you are looking for your first bird you need to see what bird are you comfortable at handling. A grey needs to be handled a lot, and mentally stimulated a lot. If a first time bird owner is fearful of their new grey, they won't take it out, and they won't give it all its needs. However, if the first time bird owner is ok handling the grey, and is able to understand and meet the grey's needs... then a grey would be a perfect first bird.

I know my dream is to one day have a macaw, however at the time, I don't feel 100% confident in handling them, because I wasn't accustomed to reading their body language, now when I go to the bird store, I feel more confident, and hopefully, when the time is right.

Thank you very much. What you say say is true for a MaCaw, not so much for a Cag or Tag. In the MaCaw's case, there's some that are very suitable for a first Macaw and others not so much. A little known fact about a Grey is that in most cases, as a Grey ages, they liked to be handled less and less. Sometimes a Grey

never adapts to being handled. The "Key" to owning a Grey is Pre-research! as much studying, reading, talking as one can do. One factor is you can't leave them alone for any length of time like you can other bird, you need to arrange for them to have someone spend time with them as you would, they must also like them and are comfortable with them. When I repeatably say "They're just like a child", I'm speaking the truth...Thanks Jayd

well I can say that I am a first time bird owner and I chose a grey and no matter what I believe its gonna have to do with your patience and the time you spend with your FID as to how they adjust and behave. Marco played all night since we got home and is now sound sleep standing on her food bowl lol I dunno why she dint choose her perch but she didnt. I do believe you have to WANT this tho, the added messes and make a committment to your baby :D Im ready for it! so far so good

well I can say that I am a first time bird owner and I chose a grey and no matter what I believe its gonna have to do with your patience and the time you spend with your FID as to how they adjust and behave. Marco played all night since we got home and is now sound sleep standing on her food bowl lol I dunno why she dint choose her perch but she didnt. I do believe you have to WANT this tho, the added messes and make a committment to your baby :D Im ready for it! so far so good

TOTALLY agree Aerial!! If I would have gotten other birds just to try and "prepare" myself for a grey I would have ended up with 5 or 6 probably and then not been able to afford a grey. The only birds I had growing up were budgies, but many family friends had large birds and I was always drawn to them. I had wanted a grey for years before I put my deposit down on my Chickie. I dont think past experience with other birds is required at all, really-it helps, but not required. What definitely IS required is the desire to learn everything you possibly can about what greys need and to surround yourself with he support of people that are more knowledgeable-I.e. This forum :) and, I am also very fortunate to have a fantastic breeder. :)

When I suggest to a non bird person to get a different bird then a Grey as a 1st large parrot, is because there are more once owned Grey's available than any other parrot! The reason for this is because most [most, not all] people are not aware of whats involved in owning a grey. Read Ray P. thread in the Amazon Room, he points out how well they can live together, as well as most of the other people do. A main reason Greys are giving up on is because They sometimes "Bond" with one member of the family and then after a year, 2 yr's or more, leaves them for a differant member of the house hold. Or how about not being able to bring a new chair into the home because they freak out, oh yea, you change your hand soap, and they no longer come to you and you don't know why.

I'm not saying don't get a Grey, I'm saying, know what your getting.. Thanks Jayd