NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Female Amazons

Talon

Question to anyone who has info or experience with a female amazon.

Nilah is 3 years old, and yes it is spring time, but the past couple of weeks, she has started a new behaviour, and lately it has been most times when I sit on the couch at anytime of the day or evening and watch tv or play on my iPad. She curls up against me anywhere she can find, squats, opens her wings and starts cooing like a duck.....YES, I know what this behaviour means, I do all I can to discourage it, I move her, I gently say no to her, I try distracting her, but she continues to crawl anywhere on me she can find. I am trying very hard to discourage this behavior, not encourage it, so many times I have to get up and go do something else as she won't stop. I NEVER pet her at these times, nor does it start because I am petting her.

Any suggestions to curb this? Or do I just have to wait it out. She's only threeeeee.........

Cricket is a female and has done this starting last December. Mother nature has control and the best you can do is just walk away. It`s almost over so just hang on.

I have a post on this (Mating season almost over). It`s more about the male zon and their aggression. but the female will also act out their mating roll and actions.

At this point mother nature has control and the best you can do is WALK AWAY.

Thanks Ray, how old is Cricket? I thought I had a few years before I had to deal with this. It is nothing like my 7 year old greys at all. They don't exhibit this behavior in such a way at all, their behaviour is very mild.

Cricket is about 16 years old.

3 years is a little soon and I do not think she is ready, she is just a young lady growing up.

Cricket has never been aggressive as long as she has been with us when she is in season. It`s the hot three males that really become aggressive and this is some time in the 5 to 10 year period give or take.

Oh, I feel for you all with mature zons and greys. When I had an older male ekkie, I was told to keep the room darker (more like winter than spring) and provide wet rawhide for his chewing needs. And basically let him be as he was very, very grumpy. Now my Louie, male zon is only 4 years old but I have noticed that he is liking to chew up his wooden toys a whole lot more than normal. Not looking forward to a mature zon or grey.

I have a 15 year old lilac crown amazon, this is our first experience with her during spring season. She was a rescue and I can say that she has changed and not neccesarily for the good! She is MOODY! She bites me for no reason she has just become very, very difficult. I was very concerned until I was informed that it is normal for an amazon to become this way during the spring. I was quite shocked at first when I was taking her out of the cage and she bit me very hard for no reason with no warning what so ever! I was so sad as it has taken us alot of time and work to build up her trust! However I am hoping that once this season is over she will be back to her old self! I guess we just have to be patient with them and wait it out!

At 3, it, bonding, not unusual. A female can become "bitey". They'll also cuddle and shake when you pet them..Jayd

Hi Jay, should I discourage her behavior when she does this, allow it but with no petting.. I don't want to encourage it, but I don't want to be mean either.....we are quite bonded so I don't want her to be mad at Meir unnecessary.....know what I mean?

Hi Jay, should I discourage her behavior when she does this, allow it but with no petting.. I don't want to encourage it, but I don't want to be mean either.....we are quite bonded so I don't want her to be mad at Meir unnecessary.....know what I mean?

Sorry I am responding so late...I see no reason to discourage it. I haven't seen any problems, just give her all the attention and love and cuddling that you can. If she quivers too strongly, then just tell her how much you love her and set her aside like we do our Greys. Amazons are so much more resilient and get over things far quicker than Greys. They can regurgitate one minute and then turn around and go play or eat dinner with what appears to be no ill effect. Salsa climbs under my beard and likes to cuddle...

Jayd

Thanks Penny, this is one of those things I could be completely wrong about, I have no proof either way, just my personal experience's.. A Zon is a creature of attention, their main concern is themselves. I've noticed you can get away with alot of things with a Zon, that you could never get away with if it was a Grey.lol. As long as there not "Mature" or laying eggs and don't show signs of "Regurgitating", I strongly feel "Cuddling" is okay. In Grey's I've seen serious damage, in Zon's, they turn their heads and fly away....Try cuddling, then stop and give Nilah a treat or toy or put her down, watch what she doe's, does she try to get back to you? or does she go for the treat/toy etc.....Jayd

Thanks Jay, now I can't get your words out of my brain every time I look at Nilah......she only cares about Nilah! I was eating pizza tonight, and she had to perch as she always does on the hand that was holding the pizza and moving it up to my mouth so I could get a bite, she rides it up and down as she nibbles at it. Always on the hand that is holding the utensil also......you should try eating oatmeal in the mornings with an amazon riding your utensil hand!! Ugh!!! And here I thought she wanted to share, she's only making sure she gets it all!!!!

I never realized how much those words are true, even when sheis doing something she shouldn't be doing, over and over, I thought she was testing me like my greys, but now I know it's all about HER!!!

My guys are just getting back to normal around here. It will be soon for you I promise! When my Grey tried regurgitating for me I said, "no thank you" and walked away. Both my grey and my quaker are hormonal, but the funny thing is, my male Panama Amazon 9yo is still very calm. I wonder if he will act up later? This is his first year with us.