NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Decision Made

Guest Jocelyn

I dont want to start any trouble here and I know the whole debate about to clip or not to clip "ruffles peoples feathers" however.... ALL 5 baby greys that all just went home last weekend were all clipped, I dont believe Marco is any worse for the wear and she is 4 months old. She flies across the room mid-level but doesnt get ontop of my cabinets (which I only to much prefer!!) nor does she get atop of my curtain rods. She stays on her cage playtop and has the ability to fly room to room and land on the lower level items in my house. Being that I have ceiling fans as well I think this was a good thing to do to protect my baby and be a responsible pet owner to the best of my ability No disrespect, just IMO.

Congratulations on your decision to adopt a Grey. You seem like the kind of person who understands that you are taking on a commitment and not just an amusing pet. Your Grey is going to be very happy. I would suggest as others have that you do not clip your baby's wings. It especially important if you have other pets around. Your Grey will feel more secure knowing he can fly from danger. Besides it is a real pleasure to have your Grey fly as he chooses. Aerial makes a good point about ceiling fans. I have heard some horrific stories of spooked parrots clipped or not flying in to them. If you have to have a fan then switch it off if your bird is out. Do get him used to a harness so you can take him out. This is much easier with a young bird. (I only refer to your coming Grey as a "him" as they are never "it" to me).

We all look forward to hearing about your new family member and your new adventures in parronthood.:)

Steve N Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

The most wonderful thing about the Grey Forum is we have a medium to learn from. Each and every post is important as any other, and we must be sure to be open and to listen, not just go on something that sounds good. If we question a reply, then re-ask and research. Some questions only have one safe answer, they can not be changed even if we don't like the answer. Others are open for our personal beliefs, and we should "voice or option". We must remember, just because it worked or hasn't been bad doesn't mean it isn't true, heed the words other members post.

This is a GREYT group of Parron'ts, as Spock would say:"Live long and Prosper"...

Thanks Jayd

[quote=Mistyparrot; Aerial makes a good point about ceiling fans. I have heard some horrific stories of spooked parrots clipped or not flying it to them. If you have to have a fan then switch it off if your bird is out.

Steve N Misty

Please read this as long as you have a parrot and a ceiling fan.....Thanks Steve....Jayd

Edited by Jayd

Sir, I'm sorry you felt a reply like this was necessary. Most of us on the forum ,#1. research or have seen of know from experience to most questi9ons asked. #2. If you check, only a few breeders nation wide, clip before selling .[ you can research this on the net.]

#3."Shes not a great flyer" you stated, this is exactly what I said! #4.We, right now have 4 parrots, that are problem flyers, Joe, a grey, flies like you state your baby flies, he's 6yr's old, poor muscle development. I feel it's sad that I will have to start stating in every post:"There are exceptionsBy everything you've said, Jay, I would guess that Ellie is now permanently physically and emotionally scarred...And last, I pray not even a inkling of this is true..." ".

Sincerely

Jay

Side note: Please research!!!!!! There's thousands of threads and posts on this Greyt forum, We are blessed With Dave007 who has more Grey knowledge than anyone I've ever known...Who happens to be a foremost breeder...

Jay,

I certainly respect your experience.

Unfortunately, when you claim that everything that we do is wrong and will permanently scar our feathered companions, regardless of how much we are trying to do the right thing, I will tend to tune you out. To assign your valuable comments to the "noise" bin. Not everything is equally bad but I don't see that from your posts. You give me the impression that there is only one way to have a grey in my house - and I am not able, financially or commitment-wise, to do so. Once I ignore you for some hyper-excessive reaction to a minor indiscretion, it becomes increasingly easier to ignore you on other topics.

I don't mean to be rude.

I'm sorry to be so direct.

But you, and Dave007, are so ABSOLUTE. From reading your posts, anything that is potentially harmful, long term, is equal to hitting the bird with a hammer. You are just as harsh to someone that gives their grey an occasional potato chip (SALT!!!) as someone that exposes their grey to the kind of treatment that your rescues went through. Sugar is equal to lead.

I'm sorry, but it just isn't that clear cut. When you make it out to be, you lose credibility. At least with me.

Most of us are trying very hard to provide a good home for our greys. Minor imperfections in our treatment is NOT equal to mistreatment.

Have you seen my Ellie? You've made definitive statements that indicate that Ellie damaged in so many ways. You KNOW that my Ellie is damaged? REALLY???

I understand that you are passionate about the health and well-being of all our birds. Please understand that I am not trying to be rude when I say that you need to understand that the world will never be perfect. None of us - including you - can make our houses perfect for our greys. None of us -including you - can always be the perfect companion for our greys. When you are so absolute in your condemnation, you will lose a listener. People will dismiss your comments and do what they where going to do anyway.

You need to bring people around gently.

I feel the subject of "Wing Clipping" has been expressed by both sides equally. It's to the point that it's no-longer a discussion, or a sharing of opinions. What each members feelings are is all that matters, go with your feelings. Please consider all aspects of this issue.

As far as I'm concerned I feel this subject is closed. I will no longer post to this thread on wing clipping. To all the Greyt members, Thank You

Jayd

I feel the subject of "Wing Clipping" has been expressed by both sides equally. It's to the point that it's no-longer a discussion, or a sharing of opinions. What each members feelings are is all that matters, go with your feelings. Please consider all aspects of this issue.

As far as I'm concerned I feel this subject is closed. I will no longer post to this thread on wing clipping. To all the Greyt members, Thank You

Jayd

Please understand that I was not referring specifically to wing-clipping.

After reading so many post about people losing their flighted fids I think it is best for my fid to be clipped. Not saying that that is best for anyone else, just me and my house. I don't want to feel like everything I am doing with and for my fid is wrong because someone else does not agree.

Jay,

I certainly respect your experience.

Unfortunately, when you claim that everything that we do is wrong and will permanently scar our feathered companions, regardless of how much we are trying to do the right thing, I will tend to tune you out. To assign your valuable comments to the "noise" bin. Not everything is equally bad but I don't see that from your posts. You give me the impression that there is only one way to have a grey in my house - and I am not able, financially or commitment-wise, to do so. Once I ignore you for some hyper-excessive reaction to a minor indiscretion, it becomes increasingly easier to ignore you on other topics.

I don't mean to be rude.

I'm sorry to be so direct.

But you, and Dave007, are so ABSOLUTE. From reading your posts, anything that is potentially harmful, long term, is equal to hitting the bird with a hammer. You are just as harsh to someone that gives their grey an occasional potato chip (SALT!!!) as someone that exposes their grey to the kind of treatment that your rescues went through. Sugar is equal to lead.

I'm sorry, but it just isn't that clear cut. When you make it out to be, you lose credibility. At least with me.

Most of us are trying very hard to provide a good home for our greys. Minor imperfections in our treatment is NOT equal to mistreatment.

Have you seen my Ellie? You've made definitive statements that indicate that Ellie damaged in so many ways. You KNOW that my Ellie is damaged? REALLY???

I understand that you are passionate about the health and well-being of all our birds. Please understand that I am not trying to be rude when I say that you need to understand that the world will never be perfect. None of us - including you - can make our houses perfect for our greys. None of us -including you - can always be the perfect companion for our greys. When you are so absolute in your condemnation, you will lose a listener. People will dismiss your comments and do what they where going to do anyway.

You need to bring people around gently.

Thank you Doug, Your opinion is valuable and I appreciate it very much. Only you can choose what is true and what isn't, this I respect in you and every one on this forum.If an when I know something is right or wrong, I will continue to express my belief with research to back what I say, as I personally hope you and everyone on this forum will continue to do. When it comes to someone stating facts that can mislead and cause possiably cause hurt to the "Fid's of the Forum" I 'll do what ever is necessary to correct this. Doug, it is your right, on this forum to feel about me any way you wish, just as it is for all the Great members..... Thank you so much, please ignore any or all of my post and threads that you wish, but remember, your welcome to comment and give any opinion you might have, as I do.

As far as Dave007 goes, no one can touch him and his knowledge.

Sincerely

Jayd

After reading so many post about people losing their flighted fids I think it is best for my fid to be clipped. Not saying that that is best for anyone else, just me and my house. I don't want to feel like everything I am doing with and for my fid is wrong because someone else does not agree.

You have to do what you feel is right, but keep an open mind to learning new things, we all learn from experience, this experience we try to pass on, and we all hope it for the best. Please keep us all inform on your new life...Jayd Thank you.

Aside from the clip/no clip question, sounds like you've found a good breeder. My only question is do they allow their birds to fledge before they do the clip? Dorian was never allowed to fledge and since he's been with me his flying has not improved too much. He's clued in that he has these things attached to his body that can take him from place to place, but he is very hesitant to try to fly. When he is startled off a perch by something he used to have some very messsy landings. The landings are getting better, but he still flys like Super Dave Osborne, if Super Dave was also blind and drunk! (non Canadians may have to look up the Super Dave reference).

Wow! Such a hot topic! Definitely important. There is an alternative, which I have done, that works. New babies should get fully flighted, learn to fly and be praised. When they go thru terrible two's, they should be " TRIMMED". No such thing as " clipping'.n They are trimmed, but can fly with perfect accuracy to two rooms! Now, instead of arguing about trimming and clipping, everyone needs to find the perfect trimmer. Focus on that, as it is even more important than finding the perfect vet. My trimmer is very important to us. When Sophie was out of control, I told him. She was trimmed according to her stages in life. Once we got thru terrible two's etc, she is fully flighted. I haven't had issues with Sophie, forever! She flies quite well Nancy

Wow! Such a hot topic! Definitely important. There is an alternative, which I have done, that works. New babies should get fully flighted, learn to fly and be praised. When they go thru terrible two's, they should be " TRIMMED". No such thing as " clipping'.n They are trimmed, but can fly with perfect accuracy to two rooms! Now, instead of arguing about trimming and clipping, everyone needs to find the perfect trimmer. Focus on that, as it is even more important than finding the perfect vet. My trimmer is very important to us. When Sophie was out of control, I told him. She was trimmed according to her stages in life. Once we got thru terrible two's etc, she is fully flighted. I haven't had issues with Sophie, forever! She flies quite well Nancy

I am so glad this has worked with you, it might not not work with another bird or person. Note: If a parrot can fly for two rooms, why Clip/trim? Lets move on to a new subject, some of us, especially me has already spoken to much on this subject. Thank you every one who has for your wonderful and helpful posts...Jay