NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I can't go there no more

TWIX

I have already told you about my visit to the Birds Market in a city nearby where i live. Today i have been there again to buy some new toys and other stuff for DJ. Before buying anything, i took a walk with DJ on my shoulder, and what i saw has really pissed me off!!!

I saw one of the bird sellers spraying water directly on a parrot's peak, the poor parrot parrot was fighting to breath and trying to fly away. His whole face was soaking wet and looked as if he will die anytime soon. I stopped and tried to film the incident and the seller immediately stopped and asked me why i want to film this? I told him i will take this video to the Animal Rights Society and will get him arrested for this. So he panicked and throw the helpless bird on top of a cage.

I walked away but kept my eyes on him, and when he thought i left, he lifted the parrot from one leg and and started swinging the bird up and down. I went back again and asked him why is he doing this to the bird, he answered: I am taming the parrot!!!

The Parrot was an Indian Ring Neck Parakeet, just like the one i have at home but a lot younger. He is also wild, been caught somewhere here in Dubai. So i could not watch anymore as i have seen more than one thing at the same time. I will never go there again, as i was going to punch the guy right on the face.

I know this is sad and the government is doing nothing about it, i am really helpless and extremely sad. I wanted to share this with you as you know you will understand my frustration.

wow that is really screwed up...at least you can look to yourself and the great home you're providing for your new grey you got there...most of those birds will die or lead a horrible life but at least there's some people like yourself that will change at least one life.

That is so sad but unfortunately it does happen and you are right as long as people buy from them they will continue to catch and abuse them, I would spend as much time as I could and go down there and talk to the people who are potential buyers and inform them exactly where these birds come from and how they are treated then direct them to breeders you have found.

I would like to point out that the people involved here are from other countries, expatriate, "guest workers" and not Dubai or UAE nationals or Emirati people. They come and go and sometimes are unfortunate souls with no reference point in their own countries for humane treatment to other humans, much less extending that to creatures that can not defend themselves. Talking to them, yelling at them, will do nothing. Even reporting and getting them deported will only result in bringing in a new trainee and start all over again. One thing for you though, is to avoid taking DJ in contact with potentially sick wild caught birds and to keep your heart from being heavy is what you said about staying away. You are so kind and loving you do not deserve these graphic images in your head nor the stress it puts on you. There are many things that can be made into toys for DJ from your home. It is not as easy for you in Dubai to find the kind of colorful, commercially made toys, but perhaps there might be a place in the UK to order online, or if you have a coworker who is from there they might bring back something for you on holiday.

It's awful when you see this because naturally you just want to give the bird a good home and take it out of the miserable environment. But then you have to think that your money is supporting the trade. I saw in my local pet shop some parrots (they were Greys, Amazons and Macaws) and none of them wore leg rings and some of them looked as though they had colouring on their heads. It was only later when I saw a video on YouTube that said when parrots are caught, they're sometimes marked and sprayed on their heads. I've always been highly suspicious of the place! Thankfully Tui came from another pet shop that we have faith in and she was brought in personally from the breeder and has a leg ring. The man who sold us Tui had bred Greys himself with his dad in the past and knew all about birds. If I go to the other place where I'm suspicious the staff know hardly anything on any animal in there!!

A leg ring does not mean anything! All the wild parrots I have seen there had leg rings, and trust me when I say they are wild. They force these parrots to accept humans, just for the sake of selling. I saw how they handle greys and amazons, they scream their life off, pull them from one leg or one wing. This won't stop as many people support these guys, I had a chat with someone who wanted to buy a wild grey and he said he can tame him.

Edited by TWIX