NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

question on flying

snoepgoed123

Archimedes' wings aren't clipped, so he's fully flighted, he's able to fly from anywhere in the house to anywhere, (like living room to family room).... once (or sometimes more times) a day he'll shoot off like a rocket and will just fly around like crazy, not quite sure knowing where he wants to go (he'll usually lap the house twice or so, or just flies back and forth a few times, before finally landing (or crashing) somewhere... after he does this though, he seems winded and it takes him around half a minute to recover back to normal self... I'm curious if this is normal for him to get winded... Is it just cuz he's a baby and still learning to fly....

it just makes me curious what type of flyers greys are in general too... are they distance flyers, or more short "hey lets move to the watering hole 500 yards that way" kinda flyers

My grey Corky is eleven years old and she will take the random flight around the house just like you said Archimedes and will do this from time to time and yes they can be winded.

An out side bird is in the air a lot looking for food. Our inside greys do not get the exercise of a wild bird because all they have to do is walk over or climb to their food dish to eat

A lot of flight time and exercise builds muscles and stamina.

Edited by Ray P

Pookie is lazy she would rather call for a pick up service but can fly after years of being non flighted she flew like a rock upon arrival. Whisper, Smartee & Smokey Joe all fly well but don't get enough flight time. Whisper & Joe are both a bit bird aggressive, Smartee goes after the Tiels feet and his landings are kind of rough as one of his feet is not lined up but turned to the side at a 45 degree angle.

I agree with Ray "A lot of flight time and exercise builds muscles and stamina." But I want to add to it. A lot of flight time also builds experience and allows them to be more efficient with each wing flap therefor using less energy. This is apparent in the wild flapping from an inexperienced bird while trying to land.