NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Trouble finding babies!

BeeFernandez22

So I began my search for a breeder this week and oh my. What a wild goose chase I have started!!! There seems to be a lack of breeders in MO, aside from the couple I spoke to. All of them have a waiting list, so I put my name in and hopefully will be able to get one this season. I was 12th on one list, and unsure about the other. I am very afraid to purchase a baby from somewhere that would require shipping. I like the idea of being able to see where my baby is coming from and getting to know the breeder personally. I would be willing to drive a little so if anyone has any great breeders that are realitively close to St. Louis (Maybe 4-5 hour radius) I would love to hear from you! I had no idea it would be so difficult to locate one! I find plenty of adult Greys in my area, but I think I would prefer to get one as a baby. Anyone have positive experiences "adopting" a grown Grey that they could share?

Guest Jocelyn

I felt like I was in the same position all of a few days ago now there are Greys coming out of the woodwork, here is my advice, 1. Find a Parrot club in your area, someone here told me to and they are super helpful and right away started me off in the right direction. 2. Post an add on your kijijii Craigslist ect, I also did that first couple days I was getting nothing, yesterday 2 people contacted me with greys and one advised me to check out a breeder that is in the neighboring province (but only 3 hours away). Just keep at it and you will find something !

A quick search resulted in the following. (Note: I know nothing about any of these - but it gives you places to look/start.)

http://www.knrfeatheredtreasures.com/

Just-Us Birds LLC

Exotic Birds, cages, toys, supplies. seed & feed and Sandy Perches.

We breed, raise and sell parent raised finches, canaries and parakeets, as well as hand fed cockatiels, lovebirds, conures and african grey parrots. We also sell cages, bird toys, a wide variety of supplies, fooed and Sandy Perches. E-mail us at justusbirds@hotmail.com. Raytown, MO

LMC Aviary

Breeder of exotic birds

Sweet hand feed babies. Will sell to experinced hand feeders at 3 week Most babies are handfed from day one because parents will not feed. contact me for more info on what we have at this time. Congos, Amazons, Cockatoos, Macaws, Pionus, Quakers, Derbyans, Eclectus, Hawkheads, Conures, etc. Email: caselman@grm.net. Meadville, MO

Rosalita's Birdhouse

Domestic exotic birds - babies, breeders and some toys

Specializing in handfed baby birds. Cockatiels, greys, timnehs, differe species of conures. Also snuggle tubes. Email: featheredtreasures@charter.ne or birds4you@cs.com. Wentzville, MO

http://parrotposse.com/default.aspx (in St. Louis and website says taking deposits on CAGs now - they also have a page showing upcoming shows in the general area)

I live on the east side and I have a few suggestions for you.

We got our baby grey from Varietees pet store in Valley Park, MO.

They are not breeders, but a bird store. I know that some people are cautious about buying from a store, but I feel this is one of the good ones.

They get the babies when they are quite young & hand feed them.

We were allowed to visit anytime we wanted & they were very willing to answer questions.

They were VERY patient when we were having issues with the bird before we brought her home. Even after we paid for her, they were willing to set us up with another baby if we wished.

They wanted us to be happy.

Our girl was not sent home until she was totally weaned, which in her case was almost 5 months! So, yes, we visited her twice a week for all that time. It was a very long drive for us.

It is a very clean store & I think that the birds are well-taken care of.

They do have a waiting list, but it really was just a couple months before we were called.

Another option is Pecan Acres in Waterloo, IL. I believe they are actual breeders.

Another option is Paula Corbett in Maryville IL. She is a very nice lady. The reason why we didn't go with her is that I believe there is smoking in the house. I know the babies are kept away from other birds, but I don't know what she does to keep them away from the smoke.

Finally, I have seen what I think are breeders at the different Parrot shows around the StL area. However, I don't know anything about them.

Where in Missouri are you? I live in Tulsa Oklahoma and I got my baby from a local breeder who is also a veterinarian. She regularly has babies available--both Congos and Timnehs. She leaves her babies with their parents for eights weeks before beginning hand feeding, and this has led to very stable personalities. I couldn't be happier with my little girl (Gracie). If you are in Western or Southern Missouri I would consider contacting her. Her name is Dr Carol Best. She can be contacted at 918-663-7595. I saw her recently at an avian fair, and she had several greys who were close to being ready for new homes. She generally abundance feeds until they are between 16-20 weeks. She sells Congos for $950 and Timnehs for $750. Good Luck with whatever you decide. It's an adventure well worth pursuing.

Thank you all so much! I am currently on a waiting list with Varieties, Parrot Posse, and a small bird store by my home. I am in STL so I will check out the vet in Oklahoma. You guys are so great here :)

Forgot about Parrot Posse. They are good people too. I know them well.

As for your question about adopting a grown grey, If I had to do it all over again I would do it the same way as I did by adopting a 3yr old grey. I knew exactly what I was getting because the previous owner filled me in on all the details such as, she doesn't like women, she has never been a plucker, her likes and dislikes etc. There were no surprises that way. I knew she would be my bird and not my wifes even though I rather she would take to both of us. I knew what kind of diet she was on and since I was completely new to owning a parrot, I could go back to the previous owner with questions that I had concerning her. And the biggest thing was I didn't have to worry about her maybe dying in the first year as I sometimes have read on these bird forums. It must be awful hard to get so close to something and have it die and not too long after. I was also fortunate that the seller was concerned more with giving her a good home than a steep price, so we were both happy.

Good luck on whatever you decide.;)

Yes, that is what the lady at Varietees told me. The small bird store by my home said the same thing as well. I am number 12 on both of those lists (Ironic haha) and the store by my house said they sold between 30-40 last season so she is confident I will be able to get one this season. I would really prefer to get one from the actual breeder near me since she does the breeding herself, and another member of this forum had excellent things to say about her, but I feel pretty comfortable with the store by my home and you have had a good experience with Varietees so I would be okay with those choices as well. I have no problem waiting a little. The right birdie will make their way to me :) It just gives me more time to really read up on them and learn even more. Always a good thing!

As for your question about adopting a grown grey, If I had to do it all over again I would do it the same way as I did by adopting a 3yr old grey. I knew exactly what I was getting because the previous owner filled me in on all the details such as, she doesn't like women, she has never been a plucker, her likes and dislikes etc. There were no surprises that way. I knew she would be my bird and not my wifes even though I rather she would take to both of us. I knew what kind of diet she was on and since I was completely new to owning a parrot, I could go back to the previous owner with questions that I had concerning her. And the biggest thing was I didn't have to worry about her maybe dying in the first year as I sometimes have read on these bird forums. It must be awful hard to get so close to something and have it die and not too long after. I was also fortunate that the seller was concerned more with giving her a good home than a steep price, so we were both happy.

Good luck on whatever you decide.;)

I had thought about that viewpoint as well. It is nice to know all of the personality traits and quirks up front and you definitely do not get that luxury when you get a baby. I didn't realize it was so common to lose a baby during the first year?? That worries me.....

If I may, When you speak of getting a baby Grey, Please make sure #1. It's "Fledged" and is "Flying" competently! #2. It's on a 98% solid diet! #3. Do not clip the wing's just because the seller/store say's it's the right thing to do! Research it...A young Grey through 1 year of age or so, changes many times, requiring you to change also! #4. A Grey doesn't mature till around 4 yrs old, so their still mailable and are still open to your influences. I always tell 1st time buyers of large parrot, that Gray's require more work and time then raising a child. Now, a re-home or adult Grey.#1. Thousands and thousands of captive parrots are displaced each year, unknowing to customers, some of these parrots come from a "Parrot mill". #2. Other than a "Rescue", most sellers are honest because their concern is find a new home for the fid. The love and joy you reap from a re-home is rewarded 100 fold.In what ever choice you make, PLEASE research as much as you can and keep listening to these Greyt people of the Grey Forum....One of the foremost breeders I have ever known is Dave007, Check out his post's for really honest answers...

• 4 weeks later...