NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice on offered Timnehs

xSarahx

Hiya , my hubby came home from work today and told me someone from his work has offered him 2 `baby` timneh greys,one male one female,but it all sounds abit dodgey to me

she doesnt know how old they are because she says they do not come out of their nesting boxes

the female has a white spot in one of her eyes and the male has no feathers on his head

we can have both for £500 , normally one baby timneh grey goes for £495 over here

There is alot to consider with this even if i was told this all sounds `normal` which i dought any of you are going to say ,but it would deffinatly help the desition if i was told my feelings on this are correct

she calls herself a breeder but to me how can you be a good breeder if you dont even know how old the chicks are.....i dont know anything about breeding so i could be completly wrong with that statement

Sounds very fishy. Are they weaned? Can't possibly be if they don't even know how old they are. They are trying to get some quick $$ at the risk of these babies. A good breeder would know their ages, make sure they are fully weaned which they most likely aren't, and would not emin such a hurry to get rid of them.....How does she know one is a female and the other a male? That requires DNA testing.

Can you contact her and ask more specific questions by trying to get as much info as possible?

Sorry Talon i thought i had answered you??hmmm,anyway,thanks to all 3 of you for confirming my suspitions , i have desided to stay well away as she just does not know anything about these birds,plus i dont feel quite ready for another bird yet alone 2!! as i would like to have some time just with Archie first,as i said in another post i want a timneh for christmas :D lol

I feel that maybe they may be sick, if you do end up getting them (though it does sound fishy) run a full (I mean EVERY test available) health check at a vet... then also sign something that if they have something, you will be reimbursed....

I didnt know you could do this??..iam glad i now do know as it will deffinalty be something i will get when buying a baby and IMO a good breeder wont mind singing one

xsarahx, it may be different here (US) than in England, but generally, they want the bird to get get tested within X amount of days of being home (unless they do the testing themselves) and if the bird has any illness, they'll have various policies on buying the bird back, or if the bird dies within 1 year (obvious from illness not being stepped on or something).

oh ok i shall look into around the time iam going to seriously get a baby, i wouldnt have a clue at the moment with this as i didnt want a baby for my first one so just brought him from an owner who didnt want him anymore ,but thanks for the heads up and making me aware it could be possible