NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Peanut Butter

Talon

In Archies parrot mix i buy him he has pistachios,monkey nuts,the odd half a wal nut all these are in shells,i also buy him these 3 in the shells from the shop,all unsalted , why would they put these in hes mix if he is not allowed them??

YES! you must remember that bird food is a business, a way to make money...Read the ingredients in your mix, you'll be surprized at what is in it. Packaged mixes from a pet store with peanuts is the most dangerous kind to buy...Pet food storage isn't controlled like human food is. Whats worst is rhe mold can spread to the rest of the bag due to heat and moisture Do not buy or use any mix that contains nuts in the shell or packaged nut from a pet store. It's best and safest just not to feed your companion them, why risk it... Thanks Jayd

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What else can i feed him as he does not eat fruit or vegetables,i have tried them all in different ways,all he wants is my human food which iam not the healthiest person :D hehe all he eats is grapes and nuts
Just a short reply right now, I'll do a thread on diet later later today. Go to Zupreem, Hagen, Harrison's, [search them on the web] and email them asking if they have a sample of there product]. I guess your bird is on seed[?] give i/4 cup of seed at all times, try a pellet, Zupreem nut is a good one your baby might like. In the afternoon put a bowl in the cage with 1 red grape, 1 small slice of apple, 1 small slice of orange, add to this a kale leaf or dandelion leaf or carrot top, or beat tops, plus a slice of summer squash, or zucchini, small slice of corn on the cob, all rinsed in apple cider vinegar. [rotate]Look for my diet thread in the next couple of days... Thanks Jayd

Hi, I'm afraid if you go much higher they'll just be no good, or explode. Walmart sells the unsalted in the snack section.[Wonderful Pistachio brand] You can also get them at a nut or health food store. You also can break a walnut in half and they forage out the nut.[Walnuts are the best for Greys] Dave shows in one of his threads how to nip off the end of a walnut and let your fid do the rest. All these nuts are better then peanuts in the shell... Thanks Jayd

I've also been looking for walnuts in the shell the past few weeks and haven't seen any yet. I guess I'll have to widen my search!

Hi, bake at 325% for 20 to 30 minutes, keep away from moisture. Inspect all shells foe "discoloration", look for clear clean unbroken shells...The temp still isn't high enough to destroy the mold, but with "hand picking" and inspection" it can help reduce the risk. What we have substituted is "Pistachio's" in the shell....

Thanks Jayd

I did this. I find that the flavor is a bit too "roasted" for my taste, but Ellie (and the dogs) still seem to enjoy them. Tomorrow I'll go looking for almonds, walnuts and pistachios in the shell. (Gotta give her some challenge in getting to the treats...)

Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and Feel Rite markets all have the unsalted nuts in the shell and out of the shell. Many food co-ops will also have them.

I don't have any of those stores in my area. I've checked Fresh Market, Kroger, Wal-mart, and the local co-op. Nothing except pistachios (unsalted). Ellie didn't want anything to do with the pistachios...

I don't have any of those stores in my area. I've checked Fresh Market, Kroger, Wal-mart, and the local co-op. Nothing except pistachios (unsalted). Ellie didn't want anything to do with the pistachios...

Question/ Doesn't Kroger's have unsalted roasted peanuts [Canned]? Our Kroger's carry unsalted peanuts, cashew, in their brand and others. [were in Az]

Jay,

Kroger carries unsalted, roasted-in-the-shell peanuts, which I was giving to Ellie every day (she LOVES them). But you said not to do that due to aspergillis concerns. So I roasted them myself per your recommendation (see page 5 of this thread), but you said that still wasn't safe. So I've been looking for unshelled almonds and walnuts (she loves almonds and tolerates walnuts).

Jay,

Kroger carries unsalted, roasted-in-the-shell peanuts, which I was giving to Ellie every day (she LOVES them). But you said not to do that due to aspergillis concerns. So I roasted them myself per your recommendation (see page 5 of this thread), but you said that still wasn't safe. So I've been looking for unshelled almonds and walnuts (she loves almonds and tolerates walnuts).

Thanks Doug, your a smart parront. Petsolutions and Dr Forster and Smith carry inshell walnuts and almonds. They have free shipping over $49.00, and regular shipping is cheap, we use Petsolution. Here's there HTTP...http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Bird-Supplies.aspx

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/?ref=4136&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-B-4136

Let us know what happen...Jay

I have tried several several times to get Marco to enjoy PNB ... she will try it then shake her beak and thats all she wrote wont touch it again. Should I continue to TRY to give it to her? Will her taste pallet change any? I even tried the almond butter (much more expensive) and she dont want none of it. I havent tried a peanut but she does eat the whole almonds ...