NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A bit of a dilemma. I could use your advice and opinions.

Wingy

What exactly is provoking these concerns for you? Would there be a particular reason why your son/daughter returning to live with you should have an impact on whether you bring home an african grey or not?

I did a quick cut and paste from another post

My situation and question was not because there is a kid (ok young adult) in the house but out of fear that a baby grey would be stressed and traumatized by losing to many caregivers in a relatively short period of time.
The baby will go from the breeder to the parrot shop where it will stay until it is weaned, then to my home where shortly after that, I"m guessing 6 months, maybe a year after the baby has weaned and made the journey to my home that the kid should be moving out again. I was just wondering everyones opinion on if I should wait until the kid has moved out start building our flock so a baby grey won't be stressed by yet another caregiver leaving in such a short time.

My partner thinks that my use of the word kid is throwing everyone off. The "kid" will be graduating from college soon and the roommate situation became unstable.

Wingy... the baby will be ready to come home around 16 weeks from birth.( I never recommend anything sooner!) Kids of all ages adapt to a new bird. Birds adapt to having extra attention from kids. My kids were 10 and 8 when Sophie came home. They thought she was fantastic! Just a thought.... don't let anyone pressure you to get your grey. ( noone is.... but just want to reinforce this thought!) Only YOU have to be ready. It has nothing to do with kids. When you are ready.... get a baby grey. Don't worry about kids, us.... etc. What I DON"T want to lose, is your friendship, and wise words of wisdom! You help me soooo much! Skip the bird for now, but keep the wisdom coming! All of us learn from you. I personally am being selfish, and want Wingy to help me and NOT get a bird! Of course I will support new bird, but I will be honest, Wingy getting a new bird, I will lose out on wise words and suggestions. Nancy

Whether its this year or next I'll be sticking around. Nancy when does Sophie and the crew have their next spa day? I promised DS I would take Isabelle for a trim. If you can swing a Saturday maybe we can schedule for close to the same time and meet up. May 12th, June 9th and 30th are out but it looks like I have the other Saturdays open so far.