NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG Jealousy?

Ronald Byrd

Our CAG (Papito) is doing great! He will come out of his cage to the couch and have his head scratched and eat off of our plate. He will let us hold him on our arm but doesn’t seem comfortable with standing on our chest. He still seems to be nervous like something is going to get him unless he is in his cage, on our arm, or on the perch in the kitchen.

Last weekend We took in a Quaker parrot. Her name is Puffers. Her and I had almost an instant bond which in my opinion is because she was kept in a very small cage with one perch inside and one perch on the top. She had 2 toys… EVER! Well the day after we got her I cleaned all of the pin feathers off of her neck for her, this was an hour or so of neck rubbing and she enjoyed every minute.

Monday Puffers spent an hour getting her pin feathers cleaned. Tuesday she sat on my chest while I watched TV. Wednesday same thing she sat and talked to me for about an hour. Thursday she actually went through the motions of regurgitating. Mouth open and head bobbing while on my shoulder. This whole week I have been spending time with Papito as well but he usually prefers my girlfriend Lisa’s attention over mine.

Here’s the shocking moment. Later Thurday evening she was sitting on my chest again while watching TV, I notice Papito fluttering his wings at me from his cage, looked like he was thinking about flying to me. I said “what cha doin papito?” he stood up and started chewing his nails. Hmmm, so I put Puffers on her cage and walked over to Papito, his foot was in the air pointing at me before I got to the cage. He stepped up and said “thank you” as he always does, then gave me a kiss which means he wants something. He took a sunflower seed (treat) from me and threw it. I sat on the couch and put my arm with him on it on my belly and started talking to him. He stepped off of my arm on my chest and laid his head down for scratches. He has NEVER been comfortable with this before, he has always stayed on my arm or on the arm of the couch. So, what I can’t figure out is, is this jealousy of Puffers, or is this him thinking “it must be safe if Puffers is doing it”. I always greet Papito first when I come in the room because I’m afraid of him getting jealous, as well as I offer him to step up more often than puffers.

The other thing I noticed is Papito will only step up if he wants to, if he doesn’t then he will push my hand away and I don’t try again for a little bit. Puffers will step up almost every time I ask her to. In the last couple days I’ve noticed Papito stepping up more often. So, the same question applies here. Is he competing for attention or just seeing another bird do it and be rewarded teaching him that it’s ok?

I only reason I don’t think it’s jealousy or competing for attention is because I have put the two just out of beak range and talked in a soothing voice to them. Papito slowly tries to move away after a minute or two of just looking at her. Puffers seems curious but doesn’t try to get closer or farther away.

Seems that you've uncovered a training technique!

I've actually read about this in a book (the african grey parrot handbook), and it says that teaching by example is one of the best ways to train AGs as they will want to compete with their rival(Puffers in this case) for your attention and do what they just witnessed.

Some jealousy is always good when it comes to training and progress......(also applicable for humans :P )

Whether jealousy or "training" by example, don't over-analyze it nor look a gift horse in the mouth. ;) One of the few times Spencer (TAG) asked me for scritches was right after Anya ('tiel) had a long session of Daddy time. It only 'worked' that once, but it did seem to be a motivating factor.

BTW, I like seeing the picture of your Ball. I had one back in high school/college. I got it as an adult and had it for about 8 years. I'd kind of like another, but my wife isn't keen on snakes (though my daughter is) and they are technically illegal in my town.

Joe and oblivion have excellent advice. Competition, actually helps. They will become more interested in learning, more willing to please. They eventually learn it is not a competition, and learn to work with the other bird. ( hopefully). It worked for us. I was very distressed, when Max, my senior Lhasa Apso, was working on " handing the reins", off to Sophie. She was three. I didn't believe in his choice. In the end, he was right. He saw something in Sophie, from the start. He took her under his wing, and groomed her, to take over the animal kingdom. She now rules. Her decisions are fair. Nancy

Competition and role modeling are great for changing behavior, particularly bad behavior. My grey always hated to go to bed, but Pancho, my Amazon goes to bed easily. After watching Pancho for awhile, Brutus goes to bed easily, as well. It worked for showers too. Sounds like a great start.

Birds of different species, CAN encourage the other species to be the best they can be! Everyone knows and respects Sophie. She rules over the animal kingdom. When it comes to fresh fruits and veggies... Sophie won't let anyone try it, until it is approved by Kiki. ( Kiki LOVES this rule!) If Kiki likes it, Sunny and Sophie will try it. Same things goes for toys. When I buy in bulk toys, Sophie helps to decide, who gets what. Sunny gets all toys with bells, Kiki gets big wooden toys.Sophie actually keeps little for herself, so I always keep toys I buy for her hidden, and introduce to her the next day. Sophie does quite well ruling over the animal kingdom. I am very proud of her. Nancy