NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Isaac Learning

Elvenking

So I have been doing things with Isaac like sitting on the floor, holding things up and saying what they are. Then I will do different things with the items and explain what I am doing. From this,and in my last update, he has become a little bird who likes to go around and stand cups that are laying on their side straight up. Clever little guy. Well over the last couple nights, he has been trying to say 'fork' and last night, 'bowl'. He is having trouble doing my lower voice (my regular talking voice), but I can surely tell what he is trying to tell me. I wonder if he will refine the pronunciation more as we go on. The way he stares at me when we interact, I can tell he is thinking so intently. It's amazing! The things he has learned to say, are all the things I say to him in a higher pitched playful voice. So I am wondering if I should continue to encourage him to talk in my higher voice or should I try to continue to pronounce things normally. Suggestions are welcome and appreciated. He is currently trying to say the two new words in my talking voice. I will see how that goes. I have only heard him try to say them on a handful of occasions. Even though I get so excited when he tries to say them, he seems to be tentative with saying them. I love working with him though, he is a very attentive student.

Edited by Elvenking

Our breeder told us they will pick up things when your tone is excited and you are showing exaggerated emotion. I don't know though. Gilbert picked up one word I said while being on the phone with my daughter. He took a liking to the sound of "Walter" and he quietly says it often. Last night when he said it, we were talking and remembered, shortly after he came to us, we made a trip and in our daughter's office Gilbert met Walter in person. He must have really imprinted on him because just calling my daughter, Gilbert seems to know who is on the phone and says "Walter" and hoots and gets excited. I am glad we remembered last night that he had actually met the man because I was afraid he decided that was our daughter's name.

Have you ever set up a recorder for Isaac in your absence? Maybe a voice activated one? You might be surprised at what he says when you are not within sight of him or when he is just keeping himself entertained. I liked the video where Isaac was setting up the cups. On the lighter side, with a chuckle... you love Isaac so much you are always excited to be with him he might be the one surprised to hear a different voice coming out of his daddy. I would bet he practices all your nuances when you are out of the apartment.

You know, I bet you are right about this. I have to set up a recorder to capture him. He likes to do this thing sometimes where he just sits on top on the bathroom door in my back room and he just loves the acoustics of the bathroom and the sound of the fan running. I can leave him back there for an hour and a half sometimes, and he is just super chatty. Sometimes I think I hear talking in between the noises but it's hard to hear him down the hall. It would sure be an interesting experiment.

I think he will learn all the different tones of your voice, I am sure you have seen the videos of Dans grey Dayo- thats a deep voice! It may be a little harder for him to learn the deeper sounds but I'm sure he will be able to in time! I do just like you do with Issac with Biscotti, I tell what things are, what I'm doing etc.. He picks & chooses what he likes the sound of & wants to repeat. ( Including a few undesirables :D ) You are doing an awesome job with him- just be yourself!

Our breeder told us they will pick up things when your tone is excited and you are showing exaggerated emotion. I don't know though.

I have also heard of this & believe it to be true. Missy's favorite words right now are "stop it!" said in a very stern way, taken from me when I see her ripping up her paper on the bottom of the cage. Her other favorite word is "shut up!" She almost shouts this at us, this is taken from Kate's Mum who isn't as tolerant of the noise Missy makes as I am. I work away a few days every couple of months & have grandma (Kate's mum) come over to baby sit, one time on my return Missy was shouting at me "shut up!" so I asked where did she get that from, grandma piped up, "me, I could stand the noise any longer so I shouted shut up".

LOL....my baby really started saying "Fooork" very clearly this morning. He really nails the 'k' part of it now! He said it about 10 times in the bathroom this morning and it was really good. Of course, I was dancing around happy with his progress. He really does pay attention! I can honestly say that even with few sessions we have together on the floor examining household items, he really listens and tries to communicate. It's like bird school. :)

Now he says two words in my voice. "Fooork" and "Booowwl". He says it with the precise inflection and everything. Pretty neat. BUT, he only practices our lessons when he is sitting on the shower curtain rod while I shower in the morning. Anyone have any idea why he would only choose that time to show his skills?

Now he says two words in my voice. "Fooork" and "Booowwl". He says it with the precise inflection and everything. Pretty neat. BUT, he only practices our lessons when he is sitting on the shower curtain rod while I shower in the morning. Anyone have any idea why he would only choose that time to show his skills?

The more you peak his interest by labeling items, actions etc. the more he will wish to use, due to it having usefulness. When they just hear people blabber about things, as far as they can tell, are just nebulous in nature, thus just ignore it as background noise. You are both in for an incredible journey together. I always love hearing updates on Isaac. :)

So wonderful !! Issac is a very willing student, sweet! I know what you mean about concentrating- when ever I say a word Biscotti doesn't already know but he likes the sound of, he will stop whatever he is doing and look right into my eyes just waiting for me to repeat it. It is an awesome feeling when they concentrate so hard like that. Keep us posted on Issacs growing vocabulary!

Well...the shower is the only place he starts repeating these lessons. When we are doing our little sessions on the floor. He does nothing but pay very close attention. I have never seen a bird concentrate more. He wants to learn.

When they are not confident in what they are saying, they practice in a safe/comforting place - preferably without pressure from a watching human. Like kids - a bit shy about trying new things. Apparently he is very relaxed in the shower...

Yeah, he loves our little time in the shower. He never fails to go through a lot of the sounds and things he says. He is so sweet. And he does tend to say the new words when he can't see me lookin. I will continue with our little lessons and let you know if he picks up on anything else. :)

If only our human companions would listen so intently and then thoughtfully speak. LOL. Isaac is watching you and learning all the time. When he is ready to start teaching you, it is going to be hard to keep up with that concentration and intensity, get your rest Steven.

Elvenking... start in the shower, and work from there! Practice in other rooms. Remember, physically, some birds will dialate and constrict on their pupils, which can mean they are threatened. Sophie hasn't done that for years. If her pupils dialate and constrict.... this means she is learning, and wants to learn. Follow baby's lead, and understand what they are saying. Nancy

Doug... YAY for Ellie! and YAY for Sophie! Sophie hasn't felt threatened, in years! Now she is " pinning", wants to learn and hear, anything that has to do with the " Sound of Music".

We get it, and each of us is trying to deliver. Ryan with the guitar, me with the piano, Sean with the violin.She is happy to participate with all of us. Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Since about 3 days ago...Isaac has been trying his best to say 'cup'! It is the cutest thing...because he is so hung up on making the final 'p' sound of the word...he makes a special sound just for that part. I am trying to tell him that its okay to stop at first part cause it already sounds complete.