NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Sexes

Guest danielsingh

Guest danielsingh

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask you if one can know the sex of grey by the color of feathers or not?

below is a picture I am attaching which shows a color variation in chicks, darker ones are males and lighter colored ones are females.

Does this theory sound true in real life or not?

baby cags.jpg

Please comment.

Our breeder had the same pair of grey's for thirty years and with all that time and experience, she could guess at a clutch and get the gender right with an impressive accuracy rate, but that was because she had seen a clutch of chicks every year or two from the same parents. She said she could look at chicks from other people and not have a clue. With that said, with all her experience, she still had DNA tests on every chick, so even with her success rate at guessing, DNA was her choice as well.

Guest danielsingh

Dear RayP, luvparrots,, judygram, katana600, kins2321,

thanks all for your comments. I will do for DNA sexing for my babies too.

:)

Like Ray said the only way to truly test is DNA. Body shape is an indicator, but not really 100% When I got Archimedes part of me knew that he was a male, though I'm sure a lot of it was also wishful thinking. Whether your little one is male or female, in the long run it doesn't matter because he or she will be your little bundle of joy regardless!

Guest danielsingh

thanks @snoepgoed123, @aerial

actually i was checking research articles and the Alex foundation and jumped on a pdf article which stated

that amazon parrots sexes can be differentiated by feather colors. (light/female& dark/male)

This was an interesting read:

http://proaviculture.com/molt.htm

Edited by danielsingh

danielsingh, you're comparing apples to oranges... while that article is talking about african greys at some points, mostly during the molt... african greys are not dimorphic birds (male birds look different than females, think eclectuses). African greys are also a completely different type of parrot than poi's... take for example the congo's scientific name is Psittacus erithacus erithacus while a senegal's is Poicephalus senegalus. Both species of birds have similar characteristics, but unfortunately, we aren't able to sex greys just by looking at them. Body shape may give an idea, but the only true way to find out is either dna sexing or surgery.