NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Emotions?

SaladNinja

Cody and I have both been under a lot of stress lately which has caused me to be extremely emotional. I was wondering if greys can pick up on emotions like dogs can. When I was crying, Noodle just walked over to me calmly, climbed up my sleeve onto my shoulder, and started giving me kisses! He NEVER interacts with me unless we ask him to or if I need to pick him up. Was he sensing that there was something wrong and trying to help, or is he just finally starting to warm up to me? Parrot kisses are the best when you're feeling down :]

Hi Salaninja

When you bond with your grey they will pick up on your emotions and share your feelings and they do it in a gentle way even more so than a dog.

I think all larger parrots share your feelings and emotions when they are bonded to you.

Cody and I have both been under a lot of stress lately which has caused me to be extremely emotional. I was wondering if greys can pick up on emotions like dogs can.

Greys are expert readers of body language and will also pick up on emotional content of human speech. Once they are tuned to you they seem to know what you are feeling and what your intentions are before you do! It is a common feature of all intelligent animals. With social animals like Greys it is developed to a very high degree. You are absolutely right about the therapeutic value of the loving attentions of your parrot.

Steve n Misty