NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Insurance, who do you use?

Guest Eilidh

Guest Eilidh

My CAG is already insured (for loss, vet fees etc) with exotics direct.

I chose them becasuse the other one was cheaply presented, like one of those bad advertisements you get on the side of cheap websites.

there seems to be only two different providers you can recieve insurance from for your parrots when you live in the UK, theres probably more but I couldnt find any amongst the swathes of cat and dog insurance that appeared although my keywords included parrots.

So, what insurance do you use?

Doesnt matter where you live, Im probably not the only person who wonders which is the best insurer or wants to know about first hand experiences with them.

And if you know anything about exotics direct, lemme know :cool: I want to know if I can rely on them to actually cover me if Chippy ever needs vet treatment.

Guest Eilidh
Can people who live in the United States get this insurance?

Parrot insurance? I would assume so :)

Google search it, id sugest using a comparison website (but go directly to the insurers website to purchase it, dont purchase through the comparison website or youll be paying extra!)

if your parrot isnt already insured you should really consider it :)

Never know when youll need it! I learnt that the hard way with my leo gecko, I thought "oh ill just insure him after ive had him a couple months" within four weeks of having him a previous condition from the breeder showed up and I had to fork out all my savings to save him, now nobody will insure him till he gets better! Its been three months, hes still recovering :(

My insurer for chippy though, covers death/theft/loss as well as cover for natural disasters (not so handy in scotland but ohwell) and £5000 of vet fees, for about £15 ($20) a month :)

and I heard of other insurers that also even cover equipment like aviaries, cages etc for a couple more quid a month extra depending on the cost of your equipment

I couldnt find one in the UK that will pay your vet direct (you pay the vet, write out a claim form to your insurer and they pay you the money back) but theres probably one in the US. :)

Guest Eilidh
I use VPI, but I'm not sure if it's available outside the states. All our animals have insurance policies, and VPI has been wonderful to deal with so far. Claims are really easy to make and you get reimbursed pretty quickly.

I know this is tottally off topic, but an Alligator Gar???

We have strict pet laws over here, we aint even allowed many breeds of dogs such as pitbulls, theyre trying to ban rotties and staffies now. They tried to ban german shepards, allsastions, dobermans and etc in the past aswell. Generally most "exoctics" are illegal here, although you can apply for exotic licenses its usually for pythons.

So ive never heard of someone owning an alligator gar! They are them big fish looking things with an alligator-like head arent they?

As a vet student, I am totally fascinated by this! :L

I know this is tottally off topic, but an Alligator Gar???

We have strict pet laws over here, we aint even allowed many breeds of dogs such as pitbulls, theyre trying to ban rotties and staffies now. They tried to ban german shepards, allsastions, dobermans and etc in the past aswell. Generally most "exoctics" are illegal here, although you can apply for exotic licenses its usually for pythons.

So ive never heard of someone owning an alligator gar! They are them big fish looking things with an alligator-like head arent they?

As a vet student, I am totally fascinated by this! :L

Ha ha ha...you're right. He's one of those prehistoric looking fish with a head that looks like an alligator. I had to laugh because it's not the first time that I've gotten that reaction. :) It is an odd fish to have, but we found him in a pond store for only $20, so I decided why not...lol. :) They're not any kind of an exotic species here. They're actually more of a "trash" fish here. I'm originally from the southern US, where fishemen kill them when the catch them because they eat the baby desireable fish. We feed him 2 goldfish once a week and other than that he's pretty low maintenance-which is great!

As far as the insurance topic goes, VPI does cover the US for sure. I LOVE having all my pets covered by them. Chickie's insurance is only $22 a month and that covers $1500 per incident and up to $7000 per year. Also, once a year she can get a checkup, wing/beak/nail trim (if needed), and bloodwork done that is totally covered by the policy.