NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is it possible?

TWIX

I guess it depends on what you consider "tame".

If you haven't seen the documentary, check out "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill". It is about a homeless man who has a relationship with a flock of wild conures in San Francisco. Very cool!

How are you doing, by the way? I've been thinking about you a lot.

I have a Blue Front Amazon what I have had for 1 1/2 years that I can't touch. But he and I have a great relationship and he follows me all though the house and goes into his cage without too much of a problem. I can't touch him, but he can touch me and for us it works. With love and patience yes, I believe you can have a relationship with a wild/untamed parrot.

Edited by luvparrots

If you're talking about greys that are living in the wild, which are referred to as Feral greys, then they can't be tamed. It's also against the law to try to catch feral greys or other wild parrots. Feral greys and other feral parrots are the only true wild parrots.

Edited by Dave007

well, this is the story: Here in the UAE, it is extremely hard to find a CAG these days, the only place to find one is via some website from private sellers or the birds market in Sharjah (another city). I have been checking everywhere for the past two days, and they all seem to have CAGs that screams when you approach them. I couldn't touch any of them. I have asked why they were so aggressive, and i was told these are wild CAGs! Some told me they could be locally breeded and they were forgotten and neglected. So i can't tell which one is wild and which one is not.

I have been reading different posts on taming wild CAGs, and the majority said it's possible but it takes patience and a lot of time. I don't mind that as long as it will happen. Someone convinced me by mentioning those who were travelling to remote islands back in time and come back with wild parrots on their shoulders. It sounds very true to me. I wish i can find a tamed CAG any time soon. it would be great.

I guess it depends on what you consider "tame".

If you haven't seen the documentary, check out "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill". It is about a homeless man who has a relationship with a flock of wild conures in San Francisco. Very cool!

How are you doing, by the way? I've been thinking about you a lot.

I saw some videos on youtube.com and the guy seems to have so much fun with that flock! I have also read few other stories about normal people taming wild parrots and other birds by feeding them everyday in their backyard or on a tree near their house.

I am doing just fine, i can't stop thinking about Twix day and night. But my wife and i have decided to get a Grey asap. We think it would be great to do that, we are positive that Twix will want us to have another for sure :)

Thanks

You might want to consider slowing down and seeing if you can locate and form

a relationship with a breeder. This way you can see that your getting a happy,

healthy bird and gain some knowledge and maybe make a new

friend.

I have to agree with Wingy on this, you need to take your time and not rush into replacing Twix so fast besides if you go the route of adopting a wild caught grey then you will only be contributing to the problem.

You have plenty of time, you are a young man and it is wise to wait and see what all your options are, check to see what if any breeders are in your country, research, talk to other people and see if you can find one that has a baby grey you can buy. If people would not purchase wild caught greys then their trade will have to stop but as long as there is a market for them the trade will continue.

I know the loss of Twix has left a huge hole in your heart and you want a quick fix but the best way to honor him would be to see if at all possible you can find a baby grey to give a home to or adopt an older grey in need of a new home, best of luck to you.

I agree with the sentiment of the others. Slow down a bit,you are still grieving a loss that no other bird can fill as Twix did. You WILL find another when the time is right, and fall in love and fill that heart up again. I am totally against trying to tame a wild caught grey. The entire thought makes me very sad. They don't deserve it, they are wild, and that is how God intended.

The right grey and opportunity will come along when you least expect it, and when the time is right.

It breaks my heart that you lost Twix. I was so sorry to read that. I think I understand how very much you want to find another grey. But it may be even more important now that you do it under the best possible circumstances.

Please, don't consider buying a wild caught grey. There are so many reasons starting w/the humanitarian aspects

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190930-1000-greys-confiscated

I have kept a wild caught grey for over 20 yrs. In those days, the world knew little about the trade & they were still legal in the US. I also had no way to read his band & originally believed he'd been re-banded. Although I admit knowing wouldn't have changed my decision under the circumstances because he would have been destroyed, otherwise.

It was a long, long, painful road for both of us, but strictly speaking he is tame, for the most part. He's not so much a pet. It's more like he eventually accepted that he would never be free again. I have no way to know, but I think age finally played a hand in it as well. He'll never be tame by the standards of most fids posted about here, though. Although he has come so very far, he will always be wild at heart. And I never realized that until I joined this forum & got the chance to read so much about the "normal" reactions of domestically raised greys.

One of my big regrets is that Phenix can't or won't accept the wonderful life of a caged bird. I want to give him tons of affection, new toys all the time, lots of social interaction & maybe even travel. But after decades, his first reaction to everything is fear. So, being a grey, his first response is to defend himself. He can't be trusted around adults, let alone children. In Phenix case, there's no attempt to threaten or warn. His immediate reaction is to strike out, doing the most possible damage he can to drive off any potential "danger".

He's also done everything possible to prove that he wants little or nothing to do w/most humans. Anyone who isn't sufficiently threatened by his growling will be attacked as soon as they get w/in reach. Only a few of my friends (who are the very best w/animals) have ever managed to get anywhere at all w/him. And they pretty much get to start a shortened form of the process all over, each time they visit. No guarantee about the outcome on any given day, either. Needless to say, I worry about what would happen if I stopped being able to take care of him. It ranks right up there w/fear of escape & disease.

I certainly admit that there are greys who were domestically bred & still fit this description because there's never any guarantees about a grey's temperament. But it's just logical that there are much better odds that a fid who has been hand fed & reared by humans has a far better chance of bonding w/them than one who spent 2? 8? 17? 25? years as a truly wild parrot before living thru capture & (hopefully) quarantine.

I am usually the first to advocate for rescuing a fid & a long time owner of a wild caught grey. I love & respect Phenix in a way that's utterly senseless to many. Still, I could never in good conscience advise anyone to knowingly adopt a wild grey to keep as a pet.

• Haha 1

Thanks birdhouse for posting your 20 years of keeping and providing a loving home to a wild caught grey. He coul dnot have found a better home to have landed in.

It just shows the wild will never leave, nor the memories of living and surviving in the wild. I suspect it would be no different than a human captured and placed in a cage by Aliens. You would never give up hoping and trying that one day you would get free.

TWIX, if you want a bird now get one, do whats best for you and your wife but please stay away from wild caughts. Its just bad karma to deal in that trade. I was given a wild caught orange wing zon who was 30+ years old. he was a vicious bird and i have scars on my hand where he attacked for no reason. you could be petting him through the bar and he would have his eyes shut enjoying it and BAM he would turn into a feathered pit bull and try to bit your finger off.

Edited by Talon
have my reasons, pm me