NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey Parrot Problem...

nagu_jain

Hi,

I have african grey parrot breeding pair.After 3-yrs of effort i could breed them last year. But do not know whats problem my male grey ate 2-chicks in it and spoiled my effort. And later after 8-months of time they have laid again. Pls let me know what to do as i fear the male may repeat the same culture of eating its chicks. Is it cannibalism or else. If so can i overcome this nor let me seperate male from female and chicks before hatching. By doing so does female cooperates by raising chicks without partner. Pls guide me its very urgent.

You can reach me on nagu_jain@yahoo.com or nagaraju.jain@gmail.com

Thanking you,

Nagaraju Jain.

Any time a pair routinely abandons eggs or mutilates and kills chicks, either they are insecure or incompatible normally.

You could try one more breeding cycle and see what happens. If this behavior occurs again, the are not a good breeding pair.

There are males or females that do that constantly. They breed well but as soon as the chicks hatch, they eat them. As far as changing their behavior, that's not gonna happen. People who do have breeders that do that need to use incubatorrs. The egg is taken away about 2 wks before they hatch and put in the incubator until they hatch. Then they must be hand fed from that time on. Only experienced hand feeders should do this.

Another reason that some males and females do this is because the chicks are born then quickly die.

Edited by Dave007