NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG confused, thinks red ball is an egg and treats it as such. Any ideas?

Guest Eilidh

Guest Eilidh

First, a breif history of my bird;

Chippy is a 2 year old hand reared CAG, although he was adopted from a sanctuary (where he was hand reared) that is run by a family friend.

He was hand reared but due to the woman getting on in age and developing health issues she could no longer give all the indoor birds the attention they needed and Chippy was put into one of her outdoor aviaries with his/her brother.

Chippy has not yet been DNA tested for gender. So for convenience sake I refer to Chippy as he/him.

I adopted him after a year in the aviary last boxing day (he was not a "christmas present", it was the most conveinient date for me to travel the 5 hours there and another 5 hours back) and apart from the usual issues from transaction from aviary to indoors with a new owner we havent had any odd problems. He is starting to invite us to touch him and is generally becoming more confident every day, despite liking to keep his distance he loves to come into the shower with you and will let you stroke him/health check him/hold him/touch his underbelly etc when in the shower, any other place he is not yet comforable with anything bar stepping up and flying to your hand.

He has a massive cage, is fed large seeds, berries, a variety of fruits and vegitables (and I swear down by Parsnip, try feeding your cag some boiked parsnips! :) ) spends most of the day out of the cage with my work-at-home boyfriend and has a large variety of toys that are circulated in half dozens each week.

I also provide foraging for all his food.

I am not interested in teaching him to speak or tricks, he will let me know how he likes to play and thats how I will entertain him.

And now onto what Id like to ask about...

I have studied thoroughly parrot behaviour and I am studying to become an avian vet, but chippys new behaviour has never been witnessed by both myself or any of my friends that areavian vets, sanctuary workers and domestic owners.

I gave him a red, hard plastic ball that makes an assortment of noises when moved, I thought this would catch his interest and entertain him on the rare hours that he is alone in the house.

Although, I didnt think that the moment he obtained it that it would become such an obsession.

Chippy is usually quite vocal, since hes used to being in an aviary he is used to being as loud as he likes, although we are posistively reinforcing him when he makes noises that are not loud enough for the neighbours to hear he still has his moments. But as soon as he got this red ball, he fluffed up and sat on it! No hesitation and not a peep would be uttered from his little beak.

Now, we cant get the thing away from him, whenever he realises it is not with him he screams and screams constantly, so much so I feared he would injure himself. We took it away for four days at one point and I ended up at the doctors with a fractured eardrum.

Weve tried just putting the ball outside his cage where he can see its safe, still he screams, weve tried hanging the ball so he couldnt sit on it and he spent however long it took destroying whatever it was hanging from, we tried holding onto it ourselfs so he thought it would be safe, nope he didnt agree with that either.

A lot of less knowlegable parrot owners would think a little red ball that makes your parrot as queit as a mouse and sit on it at the bottom of his cage all day and be incredibly docile is a god sent.

I dont think its natural.

Although hes been born in domestication a CAG is still a wild animal and I feel sorry for him when he doesnt want to shout and play and be a little monkey.

So, any ideas on what I should do?

I would like to breed chippy later in my life, not for money or for fun but to help reduce the demand for wild caught parrots and also to let the babies be naturally brought up as well as having interaction with humans so they can express natural behaviours, so im wondering if this behaviour chippys been displaying will have an impact on egg sitting.

Heres a little photo.

9gc6s6.jpg

It looks like Chippy may be feeling those nurturing feelings, our daylight length is triggering some hormonal response. I would ignore the obsession & add more foot toys, reduce the protein in her/his diet and see what can be done about light times being lengthened artificially.

Guest Eilidh
It looks like Chippy may be feeling those nurturing feelings, our daylight length is triggering some hormonal response. I would ignore the obsession & add more foot toys, reduce the protein in her/his diet and see what can be done about light times being lengthened artificially.

Thankyou for such a quick response..

Its spring here in Scotland, so his daylight hours are pretty long as it is. We're in the process of introducing the aviator to him so he can have some outdoor fun now its getting warmer. Hes quite open to new things (doesnt need time to be introduced to new toys etc) so prospects of getting him to be comfortable in a harness by summer looks good.

He has three different foot toys every week that he has ab-lib acess to, and two different ones each week that we use as rewards, we have about 15 "shop bought" foot toys at the moment and 30 odd home made ones. As you can see in the photograph some of this weeks foot toys are sitting in the cage near him.

Also, we leave the cage door open while he is sitting on the ball, sometimes he will come out and have a bit of a play for about half an hour but then will climb back in his cage to sit on the ball.

How would you reccomend reducing his protein?

I will cross reference that idea with some avian vets and see what they say too and let you know :)

First off, many of your thought processes are wrong. Wild caught parrots are a thing of the past. Wild caught greys have been in this country for years and years. In 1992 importation was enacted so no more wild birds can come in. All wild caught greys have been in captivity for years and years.

Breeding------That bird of yours is gonna be treated like a pet by you and the family. That's the relationship you're building. There's a world of difference between breeder birds and pet birds. Breeders bond to each other and humans aren't welcome in their lives. Trying to breed a pet bird can be a disaster for that bird. Your goal is for the pet bird to bond with you, not another bird. Trying to do that can cause confusion and a pet bird won't be able to cope with that confusion that has to do with bonding. If your pet bird is put in with a breeding female or male , there's a good chance that the breeder will seriously maim or even kill the pet bird. Breeders recognise a pet bird. Pet birds don't recognise breeders until it's too late.

****Although hes been born in domestication a CAG is still a wild animal and I feel sorry for him when he doesnt want to shout and play and be a little monkey.*****

Apparently, you haven't put enough studies into the grey species because you'll find that this behavior is very common to greys. They're aloof and like lots of quiet time by themselves. I can name off at least 3 other sppecies that are the total opposite.

That toy-----first off the worst thing you're doing is keeping that type of bedding covering the grating. That type of material acts and imitates material that's used in nests . As it stands, your bird doesn't even have to move it around. Newspaoper should be used. Both males and females protect eggs. I would bet that if you took that toy and put it in a bowl attached to insde wall of the cage ( like food bowls), that bird would rip your hands up if you tried to remove it.

One other thing about toys---greys will become attached to some of the strangest things that are sitting around. That includes items they fight with during the day and snuggle with those same toys at night.

Basically, you're playing with fire concerning the breeding. The bird is a pet, not a breeder.

If you want to study parrot behavior, those studies should include the study of each species because each species is totaklly different then the next species.

Oh, I see that you're in Scotland---well, the breeding aspect of your post applies to that country too.

PS--if you don't like what's going on with that toy, just purchase another one( same color) but make sure it's larger. Switch the two.

Edited by Dave007

Chippy is very young to be egg fascinated like this but it certainly looks like he/she is. Research the food values of the ingredients you are feeding , make adjustments & add even more dark colored veggies and perhaps more bath time as well.

Changing the diet , adding more or less bathing time, checking the food values of different things isn't gonna change anything the bird is doing right now concerning the way he feels about that toy. . Instead of that toy, what could be done if the item was a bell? The bird is fascinated with a certain item. Many birds fit into that catagory. Sometimes it's permanent and sometimes it's just a phase.

Guest Eilidh
First off, many of your thought processes are wrong. Wild caught parrots are a thing of the past. Wild caught greys have been in this country for years and years. In 1992 importation was enacted so no more wild birds can come in. All wild caught greys have been in captivity for years and years.

Breeding------That bird of yours is gonna be treated like a pet by you and the family. That's the relationship you're building. There's a world of difference between breeder birds and pet birds. Breeders bond to each other and humans aren't welcome in their lives. Trying to breed a pet bird can be a disaster for that bird. Your goal is for the pet bird to bond with you, not another bird. Trying to do that can cause confusion and a pet bird won't be able to cope with that confusion that has to do with bonding. If your pet bird is put in with a breeding female or male , there's a good chance that the breeder will seriously maim or even kill the pet bird. Breeders recognise a pet bird. Pet birds don't recognise breeders until it's too late.

****Although hes been born in domestication a CAG is still a wild animal and I feel sorry for him when he doesnt want to shout and play and be a little monkey.*****

Apparently, you haven't put enough studies into the grey species because you'll find that this behavior is very common to greys. They're aloof and like lots of quiet time by themselves. I can name off at least 3 other sppecies that are the total opposite.

That toy-----first off the worst thing you're doing is keeping that type of bedding covering the grating. That type of material acts and imitates material that's used in nests . As it stands, your bird doesn't even have to move it around. Newspaoper should be used. Both males and females protect eggs. I would bet that if you took that toy and put it in a bowl attached to insde wall of the cage ( like food bowls), that bird would rip your hands up if you tried to remove it.

One other thing about toys---greys will become attached to some of the strangest things that are sitting around. That includes items they fight with during the day and snuggle with those same toys at night.

Basically, you're playing with fire concerning the breeding. The bird is a pet, not a breeder.

If you want to study parrot behavior, those studies should include the study of each species because each species is totaklly different then the next species.

Oh, I see that you're in Scotland---well, the breeding aspect of your post applies to that country too.

First of, that tone of writing will never infulence somebody. Try being persuasive not hostile when you attempt to discuss husbandry of an animal.

Secondly, I am very aware of the problems of breeding, and seeing how Ive applied to spend a year in Uganda volunteering with conservation work of african greys and monitoring how many are being wild caught and illegally smuggled out of the country I would very much appreciate if you first do your research before exclaiming that wild caughts have not been recently smuggled out of the country. There are numerous arrests for CAG smugglers but obviously not all will have been caught (hense why many are caught on the other side of the border.)

Third, I am perfectly aware of the complications of introducing birds from different backrounds for breeding. Chippy was housed in an aviary in which included breeding birds, his brother for one who was from a previous clutch.

Fourth, there is no grating. Wood chippings provide him with a chance to forage and he simply destroys newspaper. As I mentioned I have removed the toy on different occasions, so ripping my hands off? No, he does not make any move to stop me taking it and shows no discomfort with me taking it, as I said he only starts screaming once he realises hes not getting it back.

Chippy doesnt fight his toys.

And the majority of my study is on african greys.

Now, I happen to be someone who has more sence than to totally ignore rude people, even points made rudely can sometimes actually be valid but you will find that many people will simply ignore somebody as rude as you rather than read what you have written.

Please do not feel the need to add your imput again unless you would like to try start discussion, not a flame war.

Guest Eilidh

And seeing how you are a "moderator", if you find my displeasure of being written to rudely reason to remove me from this forum I will not hesistate to contact the forum creator.

I use numerous forums such as this for a varitety of animals as I find you can read many of the threads as case studies and develop a greater understanding of the variety of issues concerned with each species, the reason I mention this is because on the numerous forums that I use not ever have I been responded to in such a rude manner and I get along so well with many of the users of other forums that I end up keeping in touch with them beyond the forums.

So, as a moderator you may want to consider not making your forums a negitive enviroment.

Guest Eilidh
Chippy is very young to be egg fascinated like this but it certainly looks like he/she is. Research the food values of the ingredients you are feeding , make adjustments & add even more dark colored veggies and perhaps more bath time as well.

I did wonder whether it was unusual for this age, at first I thought he was just fascinated but after watching videos of nesting greys he displays the same behaviours, thanks for confirming that it is unusual for his age.

How many baths a week would you consider appropriate? Ive contemplated whether theres such a thing as too many baths, although I cannot bath him just shower him. He does his little dances to get soaked right through so I suppose it doesnt matter whether its a bath or shower :L

Im concerned about the increase of calcium when increasing dark veggies, he gets an estimated amount of calcium for balancing with phospherous so im concerned whether Id upset that balance.

Also, I attempted to inroduce him to pelleted food but he's having absolutely none of it :L Ive read that many selective pittsacines can be so stubborn about not eating something they dont like to the point of malnutrition, have you heard of this? I gave up and gave him back his seed mix for the ab-lib part of his diet in fear of it.

Thanks again

Elidih from your posts and answers to others, you are only asking for comments on the red ball problem. So all I will say is that I agree with Dave007, whom I respect oodles. Just remove this red ball and replace it with a larger red ball and see if that corrects Chippy being able to sit on it. Just from my own experience, I do have one comment about the flooring materials you have in Chippy's cage. When I first got my grey, I had such materials in my grey's cage and it attracted moths to lay eggs that hatched lots of moths. It is not easy to get rid of moths. Love my newspaper cage liner.

Eilidh -

I have heard a bird behaviorist speak & she says that modifying the amount of sleep can help patterns like that.

She recommends birds getting 12 hrs. of uninterrupted sleep every night. And, that would be from 6 to 6!

I think longer amounts of sunlight can encourage hormonal activity, if that is what it is.

Yes, she acknowledges that 12 hours can be difficult for some households.

Elidih.... wow! I feel so bad for you guys. You bought a toy that you thought your baby would love, and it has turned into a nightmare for you! Definitely, needs to go, as it is no longer a toy. Maybe getting a bigger ball, possibly oddly shaped might help. I worry about the " fallout", you may get, but it has to go soon before things get worse. Let us know how it goes. Wishing you all the best. Nancy

Guest Eilidh
Eilidh -

I have heard a bird behaviorist speak & she says that modifying the amount of sleep can help patterns like that.

She recommends birds getting 12 hrs. of uninterrupted sleep every night. And, that would be from 6 to 6!

I think longer amounts of sunlight can encourage hormonal activity, if that is what it is.

Hello, thanks for your input, I was already aware of the 12 hours (thankfully, I sleep just as much!) Chippy has a sleeping cage in our guest room for nights where he might be interupted in our bedroom (where his main cage is) so he did used to get roughly 12 hours, but because of this ball caper he sleeps a lot (from falling asleep on the ball) more than that now regardless of us having curtains open, windows open, tv on etc etc. We tried to distract him from falling asleep a few times, but he simply made his feathers stand on end, did his Click Hooo with head down greeting then went back to sleep. D:

Guest Eilidh
Eilidh -

Hello, thanks for your input, I was already aware of the 12 hours (thankfully, I sleep just as much!) Chippy has a sleeping cage in our guest room for nights where he might be interupted in our bedroom (where his main cage is) so he did used to get roughly 12 hours, but because of this ball caper he sleeps a lot (from falling asleep on the ball) more than that now regardless of us having curtains open, windows open, tv on etc etc. We tried to distract him from falling asleep a few times, but he simply made his feathers stand on end, did his Click Hooo with head down greeting then went back to sleep. D:

Also, in reference to that guy having a go because I felt sorry for chippy being so quiet and inactive, chippy doesnt play whatsoever unless we remove the ball but then he mostly just flies around the room trying to find it.. Im pretty concerned about his lack of excersize.

Thanks again though :)

Guest Eilidh
Elidih.... wow! I feel so bad for you guys. You bought a toy that you thought your baby would love, and it has turned into a nightmare for you! Definitely, needs to go, as it is no longer a toy. Maybe getting a bigger ball, possibly oddly shaped might help. I worry about the " fallout", you may get, but it has to go soon before things get worse. Let us know how it goes. Wishing you all the best. Nancy

Thankyou for such a polite post, its a nice change from the rudeness I got from Dave.

:)

Yeah, i was like ohh this will keep that short attention span of his a little longer! And well, a lot longer than I bargined for haha. Yeah odd shaped sounds a good idea! I dont mind the huff he goes in when Ive taken it away previously, he can get a bit tempermental but hes good natured for the most part, its the screeching and screaming for days on end for the ball that I cant do. If I could, i would, but my eardrum was damaged when I took it away for a short number of days so Ive had to give it back, we are in a semi detatched and the neighbours are elderly so theyre another factor to consider.

Thanks again :)

Guest Eilidh
You might try a Kong. They are red, plastic, and bounce. I don't think they would be comfortable to sit on but wouldn't be dangerous if it were tried.

Thats a brilliant idea! I use kongs for my irish setter (dopey, crazy dog that one.) to keep her concentration, she loves them :)

I will deffinately try find a small one, fill it with some shreddables and hopefully he will be distracted by it and then get bored.

I removed the chip in the ball so it no longer makes noises (by remove, I mean I whacked it off solid objects when chippy wasnt around) as i thought that may be a factor, although he doesnt pay attention to his other noise making toys, and he likes it even more!

He absolutely refused to get out of the cage today, he doesnt bite or make a fuss, when I tried to pick him up off the ball he just acted liked a statue and stuck firmly to the ball, even lifting him up he was holding on to it with all his grip.

I have to move his food and water right beside where he sits (the same spot in the photograph which I took days ago) because he just will not budge. He moved off for a corn on the kob, only when I placed it a bit out of his reach on the bottom of the cage before I went to the other side of the room. As soon as I came back over he jumped right back on that ball again.

I used to be able to remove it with ease, now he just wont let go haha, he wont fight me for it, im just too careful with his claws to want to be taking it back and fourth, so I will peel his toes off the ball when Ive decided a course of action that requires the ball be removed (while hes still this infactuated with it)

Ill try hunt down a kongo tommorow, thats the best idea someones provided yet, heres hoping!

Wingy always has excellent advice. I am very fond of Wingy! I have to be honest, I LOVE hearing new parents advice,,, as I am pretty strict with my birds. When having "open cage belief", there is not alot of changes I give to my birds. It works for us. I am their mom. "open cage", requires alot of decisions, you can't stray from. Nancy

Guest Eilidh

I got the smallest red kong I could find and filled it with treats+material, chippy becomes comfortable with new objects and toys with no introduction, the kong was no exception.

But, although he foraged a bit of the food out of it, he lost interest.

Back to square one.

Chippy is completely inactive now and im bed ridden with the flu so i cant do much with him.

Im seriously concerned for his mental ad physical wellbeing

Chippy is going to be just fine! remove the ball, I suggest doing it now. If he refuses what you offer as an alternative, he needs to work it out. ( tough love!) It does eventually workout. Of course I am a flock member, many say there is no leader, but I disagree. I am the leader of all my birds and dogs. They are told to work it out, but if they don't, I decide. It works for all of us Nancy

Guest Eilidh
Chippy is going to be just fine! remove the ball, I suggest doing it now. If he refuses what you offer as an alternative, he needs to work it out. ( tough love!) It does eventually workout. Of course I am a flock member, many say there is no leader, but I disagree. I am the leader of all my birds and dogs. They are told to work it out, but if they don't, I decide. It works for all of us Nancy

As I said before, on the occasions ive removed the ball the non stop screaming damaged my left eardrum. Four days was the longest we removed it and absolutely no techniques worked to reduce it or distract him.

They really dont respond to dominance, your grey probably sees you as brave and is attatched to you :P In the wild they dont have alphas so they dont have the same pack mentality as dogs :)

Guest Eilidh

Heres a video of the way she is acting.

It gets cut off (again), i was trying to explain that because i have a chest infection at the moment as well as having heart issues that causes my heart to be extremely weak during infections in the thoratic cavity (even picking up a bag of groceries or holding my arms above my head can cause my heart to be shocked out of rythm when i have a chest infection) I cannot handle chippy or thoroughly clean the cage the past two days. I manage to get a lot of it done with the help of my boyfriend but the edges of the tray look a bit dirty as I cant do scrubbing motions. I was also trying to say, but got cut off, that because i work in an animal unit which includes an aviary with about 30 birds, when i have any sort of respitory infection I do not go near chippys cage for very long and try not to make physicial contact incase the infection is zoonotic and ive contracted it from working in the aviary (despite being supplied with dust masks and etc). I use a dust mask and disposable gloves when cleaning his cage when theres a chance ive picked up an aves infection that i could spread to chippy, but couldnt wear either to make this video as chippy reacts badly to the mask and gloves.

Also, everything has been wiped with aves safe disinfectant, i just cant scrub the hard poo off while im ill.

Anyway, ignore my stuffy nose.

And Im aware the cage isnt intended for parrots strong beaks, this is his day cage which the doors are left open (apart from when we need to open windows) and he has a parrot cage in the spare room for sleeping during the night. It was also the only cage we could get, as I dont have a car and nowhere here delivers cages (and I didnt have internet connection during the month before i got chippy) so we bought it from a friend. He cn climb easily, although you cant really see them in the video there is ropes on the left and right hand sides made in to a sort of jungle gym that he can climb up.

Yeah, I sound like a kid, especially when my nose is stuffy.

Wow, she is certainly showing behavior if nesting/sitting on her egg. I wonder if this could be considered obsessive compulsive behavior that will take a ton of time and different techniques such as those suggested by others to keep adding other replacements as you have started.

My grey, stated showing signs of this when very young at around a year old with a small plastic easter egg. At first I thought it was amusing, but after two Day's of watching this behavior grow, I removed it from his cage. Of course with it being a short time period, he did not carry on about it for more than a few hours and stopped.

I suspect though, they longer you leave that in the cage, the harder it is going to be to stop this behavior. I hate to say it, but you may just need to remove it and listen to the cry's perhaps for days until she just comes to the conclusion that it is gone and move on with enjoying other toys and interacting with you and others.

I would like to say one thing in regards Dave. he iis one of the most respected members here with decades of grey experience in breeding and rearing them. He never really intends to be rude. He just states the facts he knows almost in a teacher student type fashion. Please do not think harsh of him. He was not flaming you at all. It is just how he answers questions and gives reasons/background for behavior etc. I will say also, that if I have a question on grey's, I ask Dave. :)

Guest Eilidh
Wow, she is certainly showing behavior if nesting/sitting on her egg. I wonder if this could be considered obsessive compulsive behavior that will take a ton of time and different techniques such as those suggested by others to keep adding other replacements as you have started.

My grey, stated showing signs of this when very young at around a year old with a small plastic easter egg. At first I thought it was amusing, but after two Day's of watching this behavior grow, I removed it from his cage. Of course with it being a short time period, he did not carry on about it for more than a few hours and stopped.

yeah,

I suspect though, they longer you leave that in the cage, the harder it is going to be to stop this behavior. I hate to say it, but you may just need to remove it and listen to the cry's perhaps for days until she just comes to the conclusion that it is gone and move on with enjoying other toys and interacting with you and others.

I would like to say one thing in regards Dave. he iis one of the most respected members here with decades of grey experience in breeding and rearing them. He never really intends to be rude. He just states the facts he knows almost in a teacher student type fashion. Please do not think harsh of him. He was not flaming you at all. It is just how he answers questions and gives reasons/background for behavior etc. I will say also, that if I have a question on grey's, I ask Dave. :)

your probably right about the obesseion, im going to phone the previous owner tommorow. although she is already aware of this behaviour the replies to this thread have given me ideas on questions to ask her, such as like you said, would chippy have witnessed egg sitting behaviour, im not sure whether his aviary mates were breeding over the breif time he spent there as chippy was her youngest CAG at the time of adoption, it could be possible there were eggs in the aviary but i doubt it as it was winter (we live in scotland.)

thats great that you were able to curb the behaviour more quickly, unfortunately chippys obession with the ball was not evident untill it she had had it overnight, when i assume the behaviour started escalating.

I hate this ball, I really do. the issue is I cannot remove the ball from her unless I move her out from my earshot, she has a very high frequency, loud scream and as mentioned before, ended up damaging my eardrums over the four days we removed it.

the issue with removing her from earshot is that i would not be able to spend time with her while she is screaming as my eardrum is still recovering, which as you know would cause a variety of issues.

Im sure Dave can vouch for himself, as im sure he will most likely have read my reply by now someone who does not have the couresy to apologise for rudeness is not somebody that i would have the respect for that you say he recieves on this forum.

you cannot gain respect without respecting others.

put it this way, theres students on my course that think they know better than the tutors that are retired vets and vet nurses, and on rare occasions they actually do make valid points. such as, the gecko really shouldnt be housed on woodchippings that dries out their skin. the student that brought this up did it in the same manner dave did.

as a result they were scoffed at and the gecko ended up getting torques (tight bands of unsheded skin) on his toes.

That student, was me. I acted like Dave did and it ended up that the gecko suffered for it.

I was inexperienced then and immature, I know better now and when i suggested adding bathing the geckos to the regime in a polite and non-invasive manner I was listened to and the geckos situation has been improved.

Guest Eilidh
Eilidh, I sent you a pm so why not read it, thanks.

Ive now read it, I dont check for private messeges on this or my email.