NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Breeding Greys

Guest danielsingh

Guest danielsingh

Hi all,

I am in so much love with my CAG that I have decided to go and pick up a sexed pair of CAG and want to breed them.

Experts please provide me some directions on how to setup an proper environment to breed and what to look for in a pair before I jump into this endeavor.

I really want to make this happen and work for me and the new CAG pair which I will get.

Please let me know what are the dimensions for a breeding setup and what other factors should i consider.

thanks in advance.

If there are any pictures of setups or blogs or anything it would really help.

Guest danielsingh

Hi Luvparrots,

thanks for the reply, any particular blogs, or website or books???

I have been searching in this forum but my results for Breeding Greys comes up with no positive hits.

please understand that what I'm about to say isn't meant to deter you, but more realize what you'd be getting yourself into. I used to belong to a forum of a different pet species, where about half the members were breeders. One thing that was often quoted was "don't get the pet if you can't afford the vet" which is something that is true with all animals. If you do decide to get a breeding pair, what vet care will you be providing for them, understanding that they are not pets, but breeders, and they won't be as affectionate as normal pets. Also what vet care will you be providing for the offspring? What if there is a large clutch and all the birds in the clutch need vet care... could you afford $3,000 to treat them? Then there is the emotional cost, how will you handle death of the chicks or death of either the female or male. Lastly consider the actual time that you need to invest, are you in a position where you could take 2 weeks off at work if need be, are you about to wake up at 3 o clock in the morning for emergency feeding or what have you... do you have experience hand feeding the chicks...

like I said, I'm really not trying to deter you from breeding, because without breeders, most of us wouldn't have these crazy feather balls we fall in love with, I'm just making sure you're able to handle what comes at you when you do become a breeder. If you feel that breeding is for you, first either work at a breeder, or at a bird shop that you are able to get hands on experience. I know for me I could never be a breeder because personally, I wouldn't be able to handle the emotional aspect of losing a chick or losing one of my birds.

Guest danielsingh

hi luvparrots and snoepgoed123,

thanks for the replies. Still waiting for breeding pointers or even contact details of any breeders who could help me setup.

There are a few members here that are breeders, but it really is a territory that is expensive, heartbreaking, incredibly difficult, takes devotion and unlimited time, and has very little profit financially.

Guest danielsingh

Hi Talon,

I am not in this for a huge profit, but for the love of birds, since i have bought KOKO my CAG, I have been in love with these amazing

birds and the more i need to get involved in them.

Its become personal now, lol.

please wish me luck and i Plan to keep you all updated with things,

I just hope you know what you are getting yourself into, do the research and ask yourself if you truly can handle it, these breeder birds will in no way be pets, they like their privacy to breed and the less interaction with them the best. If you love greys and want to give your love to more than just one then get yourself another pet grey. If this is truly what you want to do then do it right and the best of luck to you in your endeavor.