NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Water supply for the birds

Guest Craig Katherine

Guest Craig Katherine

Instead of a water bowl in the swing feeders which the CAGS just fill with there fruits n seeds!!!!

Does anybody use a different method eg nipple feeders or ball stop drinkers.?

Thanks

Some people do but they are not without their faults, some birds will stuff a nut or some other piece of food in them and then the water leaks out and some will learn they can apply a little pressure to the ball and it will drip water, you know how smart greys are. All three of my birds dunk food and such in their water bowls which looks like they were trying to make some kind of soup but I just dump them out and refill with fresh water.

Guest Craig Katherine

Yep sounds like they like it that way, might try moving there water bowl to other side of cage if it dont stop them it will give them more exersise, just dont like seeing them looking a mess and i dont want to be changing water all the time as there breeders and need peace n quiet.

I've solved the ''soup & fresh water'' problem by putting two water bowls, one close to the food bowl, and another one as far away from food as possible. And I don't fill the soup-water-bowl very much, that way Sylia can enjoy her soup, but she still has fresh water in the cage. Ok, the soup-bowl needs to be changed twice a day of course, but at least I do not worry about her having fresh water.

I don't think anything can stop a grey from being messy! :D

Misty has a water bowl on his "tree" and in his cage but I always have a glass tumbler of water that I offer him on request. I give him a drink of hot water with calcium and vit d first thing when I have my morning coffee. He likes a good glug of that but he just has the odd sip the rest of the day. Some times when I offer him the tumbler he has what I would describe as a bathing reflex where he tries to climb in to it for a splash. Of course it is impossible for him to get in as it is far to small so I offer him a spray or a splash in his bathing bowl. "Water" is one of his favorit words and he obviously understands what it means.

Steve n Misty