NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Visit to C.A.R.E

oblivion

On Saturday, my daughter (5) and I drove about an hour up to the Center for Avian Rehabilitation and Education in Hubertus/Richfield, WI. http://www.centerforavianrehab.org/ The plan was to pick up an aquarium stand they had for sale, possibly pick up a bigger travel cage for Spencer, see some of the birds, and just generally check the place out. I'm not looking for a new-to-me bird at this time. What I found was much "more" than I ever expected.

As for what I expected, I didn't really know. They have a large number of birds listed via PetFinder, so I should have expected a large space, but I was not prepared. I also knew they had toys and some 'miscellaneous items' for sale, but I guess I never really thought about how 'big' it would be. I expected a small rack of toys, a few cages and, I don't know, a back room with the 'other stuff.'

First of all, when we pulled up and I got out of the car, I IMMEDIATELY knew I was in the right place. I could hear parrot sounds, muffled, but many, coming from 'everywhere.' We walked in the door and were immediately greeted by women, one with a macaw and the other a cockatoo on their arms. In front of us was a HUGE selection of toys and foods. I was immediately overwhelmed. I lead my daughter on a quick tour of the 'store' part and noted where most of the noise was coming from - a door with signs warning that birds bite HARD and that children needed to be supervised. I didn't know the protocol - could we just go back and see the birds, did we need to ask, etc., so I hesitated. One of the women there asked if I needed any help and I mentioned that I had exchanged some e-mails with Mary and was interested in some of the used items they had. I was lead to the front counter and after Mary finished up a phone call, she took me out to "the garage."

The "garage," a separate, very large garage/storage space, was FILLED with bird cages, stands, aquariums, critter habitats, etc., of ALL sizes. We looked around for a while and found the aquarium stand I was interested in and also, after brain overload, picked out a bigger travel cage for Spencer. This much I know - if I EVER need another cage or aquarium, I'll be checking with them to see what they have. The items were in good shape (some needed some cleaning) and the prices were quite reasonable.

After we got the items, Mary was going to look for some food dishes to go with the cage. I wasn't too concerned about that since I figured I'd use some Quick-Lok crocks or similar, but while she and another woman looked for those, my daughter and I went on a shopping spree among the toys and treats. We made a little pile of items on the counter and since they were still looking, we wandered back by the birds.

Overwhelmed. That's the main word for it. Overwhelmed and heart-broken. I was in such a tizzy, I only thought to get one picture the whole time.

6929986559_4437269c94.jpg

Buddy the scarlet macaw says "Hello" (repeatedly) at the Center for Avian Rehabilitation and Education in Richfield, WI http://www.centerforavianrehab.org/ by oblivion9999, on Flickr

The main bird room is a very large 'warehouse' type area (but it's heated and well-lit) with cages down both walls and a double-row down the middle. I really wish I'd gotten an overall shot. The number of birds there was just staggering. They're quite obviously well-cared for, with a bazillion toys each, so I'm not saying they're overcrowded, I'm saying it was gut-wrenching how many poor birds need homes. Many were plucked to some extent - especially the 'toos and a couple of the macaws. Happily, some looked to be regrowing some feathers. The noise was mind-boggling as many of the birds were vying for our attention. Buddy the scarlet macaw pictured above was pulling my heart-strings by repeatedly calling us over with a "Hello!" Again, I was so overwhelmed that I hardly spent more than a few seconds in front of each cage. My daughter thought the naked birds were funny, but I had to point out that it was actually sad - that they had done that to themselves out of frustration.

After a quick spin through the birds, Mary found us again and took me to yet another storage area packed with 'bird stuff' to show me a play stand they had available. It was HUGE and far too large for me until I get a macaw (whenever that may be), so I passed on it. We then went up to the counter to pay for our shopping spree. While back up front, it looked like one of the Blue and Gold macaws was getting ready to go to a new home. That was sweet to see.

I left there with a cage, aquarium stand, treats and toys for my two birds, a sheet of bird stickers for my daughter, and a new appreciation for the plight of 'discarded' birds. It was both amazing and heart-breaking - the two words I've used most to describe it. In addition to the cost of my items, I left a meager donation (I'm still reeling from Anya's vet bills). Since I don't feel able to take in another bird at this point, it really was the least I could do. I know I'll be back up there to spend more time visiting the birds and plan to do most of my toy, if not food shopping there.

If you're in the area, definitely check them out.They were very friendly, helpful, and welcoming. If you're NOT in the area, check out one or many of the rescues in your area.

Many thanks to Malikah for encouraging me to visit. I don't think I'm overstating things to say that it changed my life.

Edited by oblivion
Fixed some markup.

This must be an amazing place Mark and I am so glad you got to go and kudos to Malikah for encouraging you, it looks like a great place to get bird supplies at a reduced cost though it can be heartbreaking to see so many birds in need of new homes. I know many have been relinquished since the economy soured and if it would be under different circumstances you would have been bringing home another fid I can imagine. Too bad Wisconsin is too far for me to be able to go visit but I have been to Phoenix Landing in North Carolina, an adoption and rescue organization and they do good work also. Thanks for sharing what you found with us and yes I expected more pictures but you were so busy taking in everything you forgot about recording it in pics, we will forgive you this time but if you go back please indulge us just a bit.

Thank you for taking the time to go visit Mark, and thanks for the detailed report. They do so much good work getting them on healthy diets, excellent vet care, training and rehabilitation. It is heartbreaking when you walk around looking at the birds and they all put on their cutest little acts and the talkers say their cutest lines. "Pick me! Pick me!," you can feel them saying. Some time I will tell you the story of my first visit there.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like such an inspiring place. I also felt like I was along for the ride. It doesn't seem possible so many birds clamoring for attention, that would be magical and hard to resist. I understand the heartbreak part too. It makes me want to go snuggle mine even closer and be grateful we are blessed with them in our lives. I appreciate being able to create a little haven in our home for the ones we have and to look for the spot to hold the next cage.

"Along for the ride," eh? You'll enjoy this. Yesterday, well just about all week, was GORGEOUS around here and I was itching to get out on my motorcycle (I did commute a few days during the week). The missus had some errands planned so gave me a hall pass to go ride for a few hours. I was trying to think of a 'destination' and said, "Maybe I'll ride up to the bird rescue place to visit the birds and I want to look at some stuff to make a play gym. At least on the bike, you know I won't come home with a bird." Without the slightest hesitation she responded, "Oh, I don't believe that would stop you!" She knows me all too well. We then had a good laugh about how a poor parrot would handle 65 MPH on the back of a dualsport. :D

As it turned out, there was a big black cloud up that way and I got an offer to play classic arcade cabinets (Asteroids, Missile Command, Time Pilot, Rampage, etc.) for free, so I did that instead. I really do wish CARE was closer. It's a 150 mile round-trip and with gas at what it is, it's hard to justify taking the car 'just to swing by.' At least on my 250 that would be less than 3 gallons of gas.

Oh goodness, if that doesn't sound like a perfect day. I had my first two parrots in training for a motorcycle ride. Gilbert is a little iffy, but you just never know if he starts to open up. LOL. I have a little backpack that will fold flat. Maybe I couldn't bring home a cage on the motorcycle, but if there's a will there's a way. Come to think of it, if Gilbert had made his way to my house on a seven hour motorcycle ride, I can bet he would be so relieved to be in a quiet house, he would have just blended right in as a model citizen. LOL. I am just kidding of course. It pays to keep my husband wondering about it though. I love that you can ride to to CARE. If that were me, I would use what my husband calls "deeconomics" and convert my gas savings to bird toys. Here is how it works, Honey I was out today and saw something perfect that I wanted for a hundred dollars. My friends will vouch for me that I pined over it but walked away. Then, I spend fifty and tell him I just saved him fifty dollars because of what I didn't buy. Hahaha.. He wants to know how I save him money by spending money. I just shake my head sadly and say, "You just don't get it, maybe the next time." hahahahahaha. Always keep him wondering.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but OMG, I went to the website and looked at some of the Greys up for adoption...... Some of them so badly plucked you couldn't possibly understand how it could get soo bad.

I thought about sponsoring one.

Is there any hope for these guys to regain a normal life again? Get a few feathers back and gain some weight, or are they scarred permanently?

Thats all I can really say OMG!

I volunteer at a Parrot Sanctuary and can vouch for most plucked birds seem to be unconcerned about their appearance. Like us each one is unique in both how they got to the state they are in currently. If you read about Gilbert you will see a very withdrawn bird gradually gaining emotional strength while he is begining to leave his fears beehind him. Some Greys are very resiliant and other may take years making a comeback to being a more "normal" Grey. How much of yourself and your time are you willing to put into building trust and helping one of these plucked and perhaps unhappy birds learn that life can be good and people can be kind and thoughtful? Some of these birds whose feather follicles are not too damaged may even regrow their grey feathers, some may not but all deserve a chance to be loved.