NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Archimedes is starting to fly more

snoepgoed123

ahh I love it!!! The only time he really flies towards me is when I have a bowl of food in my hand... or am about to go get food, or I'm thinking of getting him food...

like this.....

and he only ate like 2 hours ago... I need to prep all his food or else he won't eat (he has pellets in his bowl on the stand)

ahh it's so much fun though! One thing is if he knows I'm making him food he will hunt me down and follow me every step of the way! tonight when I was trying to eat my dinner, boy was he interested in trying what I was having... by the time I actually got to finish it all, it was cold because I had to chase him away from my food.... next time I'll just have to set him up with his own little plate and have him take from his plate instead of mine

Gracie is a food whore too (excuse the expression). When I have a nice little morsel of semi sharp cheddar cheese Gracie flies to my arm like I'm the resident bird trainer at Busch Gardens. She appears so well trained--NOT! Aside from all that--it is great to see their flying improve as they become expert aviators. Gracie had so many crash landings when I first brought her home. Now she zips and zooms and zigs and zags. It's awesome to behold. I envy her sometimes.

Edited by JeffNOK

Jeff you hit the nail on the head! I think Archimedes is more a teenage boy with the amount of food he consumes... and he always needs more more more. I too get the bird trainer feeling, except he's mastered how to land on the glass ramekins instead of my hand... he doesn't have too many crash landings yet (though he is partial to landing in the blinds aye aye aye) I am really astounded for how well he flies at only 15 weeks... and I know as time goes on he'll get even better

Waw! very smooth landing at his age! :) Bravo Archimedes!!! Soon enough he will follow you everywhere! :)

Sylia had never crash landing. She was (and still is )a smartie and at the beginning was flying toward couches and back. And after becoming sure of herself she started to fly big circles (we had very large open space, so I never clipped her feathers). And like JeffNOK, I too envy her sometimes for her outstanding flying skills! :)

They do get better with practice. We are lucky to have a family room that is HUGE! We always practiced the entire gang with flying. We went thru the crash landing, but were successful eventually.. I have always trimmed my birds." trimming", is different than being clipped. When birds are little, they need to learn how to fly, develop their chest muscles. It is important to learn how to fly. I worked closely with my bird trimmer, who was vital to us. He knew our birds, their trimming was adjusted slowly, with lots of thought. They all fly well. Kiki our Amazon, flies much better than the entire flock.A bird trimmer, is so important to have. Nails, beak, unwanted feathers. Nancy

.. I have always trimmed my birds." trimming", is different than being clipped. When birds are little, they need to learn how to fly, develop their chest muscles. It is important to learn how to fly. Nancy

I am not sure what trimming is all about. Is it just to tidy him up or for flight limiting? If it is the latter it makes no sense to me. I do wholeheartedly agree that flying is very important to a parrot for all kinds of health reasons. I love the video. An obviously happy Grey.

Steve n Misty

If you have a bird trimmer, that has worked with your entire flock since birth, you can either " clip", or trim. I at one time, clipped. They could fly to a certain degree, but couldn't " fly away".When they were babies, they were trimmed, ( get rid of feathers that are not important). Let them develop their chest muscles and practice flight. Once I clipped, it wasn;t that they couldn't fly... they sure could do so! They just couldn't fly all over the house, do what they wanted to do! They could fly two rooms worth. This was the time we worked on " open cage" . They were able to focus on learning the rules and expectations. It was a short period of time, and they spent day after day, learning about our home, and other animals. Ten years later... they fly , they know our home, they love our dogs, and I can leave every morning with their doors open. It is very difficult to commit to " open cage". TONS of work, that requires commitment from entire family, as well as other animals. Nancy