NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

is there a correlation between chirps and talking

snoepgoed123

I keep hearing about all these wonderful conversations that your greys are having with you, and I hope that eventually Archimedes and I can share the same joys that you guys have. I am curious, is there a correlation between the amount of chirping that a bird has at it's infancy stage to speaking/mimicking ability it has as an adult. Archimedes is quite the vocal little man (LOTS of squeaks and chirps), and I'm just curious to know if this will be any signs of whether he will want to talk once he gets to an older age.

ohh also I'm kinda curious, what was the first word that your grey said to you?

(just a ps... if he never talks I'm quite happy with that, though I just think the conversations that your greys have is so cool, and it would be awesome to actually witness that in person)

He is talking to you, in Parrot language, which is his "First Language". AS he listens and absorbs human language, it will be his "Second Language", which in many ways, you can learn a ton by reviewing ESL techniques and things to understand in dealing with word/phrase understanding.

I do not think any study has ever been done in regards how vocal they when young in Parrotese, versus if they are going to be a prolific talker.

Dayo did not speak a word until around 12 to 14 months. His first word was Hello.

Wow Chickie is a little linguist! Six months and already talking. That seems common for a TAG but early for a CAG. Gracie says nothing in English yet (she is almost 7 months old), but she is quite chatty in Parrotese. Every day we go back and forth with whistles and clicks and rasberry noises. She seems to be teaching me! I am an ESL teacher, but after teaching international students all day, I don't subject Gracie to any formal lessons. I just try to talk to her in simplified English and comment on what I am doing and what she is doing. It isn't so different to how I have talked to pet dogs or cats. It's funny. When I decided to get a grey, I thought a lot about talking ability. "When will she talk?" "How well will she speak"? "Will she be the next Alex or Cosmo? Now after 2 months with Gracie, I have almost forgotten that human speech will likely be in her future. It just doesn't seem to matter anymore. Now, having said that, I am sure when she says her first word I will report it with unbridled pride and quickly post videos of her oratory skills!

Edited by JeffNOK

Greys tend to throw out a word or two before a year old. I would focus more on the chirps, whistles, baby talk. It IS their baby language. This is how I think of Sophie's cognitive ability. I always thought a grey has the cognitive ability of a five year old. ( at their best!) At age seven months, they are equivalent to a seven month old human baby. They dont talk, but they make sounds.t like a grey). At age two, they are starting to talk, but also starting the terrible two's. Testing the parent.( Sophie was right on!) Between the age of 2 and 1/2 Sophie was seriously in the terrible twos! Biting, out of control!

I made the decision, that her growth, is the same as a human child. I decided to work with her with " timeout!". I put alot of thought into it. I discussed this with the kids, we had to be on the same page. We all agreed to give it a try, always conscious, if it didn't work, was harmful to Sophie, we would stop. We decided if Sophie bit... we would grab her beak gently, say NO! No BITE! She would go in a timeout cage for five minutes, discuss it after. It worked for us. I know I am about to get attacked by many. Please don't do so! It worked for us, Sophie was never abused, and I know what studies say. Nancy

Kins:I'm still a newbie, so I am learning things all the time. Every parront is different and every fid is different. Obvioulsy your approach with Sophie has worked well for you both. With creatures as complex as greys, I doubt there is one formula that fits every situation. Some people may criticize your approach, but at the end of the day your family is happy and Sophie is happy. So far, I have not found it necessary to be too strong with Gracie. Trust has been building mainly by me letting her be herself and only insisting on things when it regards her safety. However, she is not even seven months old and the terrible twos are still looming in the future. The whole point of this forum is for people to express their views and what works for them. I would hate to think you would be attacked for your style of parronting. I always read your posts and try to learn from them. I may incorporate some things and leave others out. The bottom line is that just like parenting children--individuality--grounded in love --rules the day.

Edited by JeffNOK

Wow Chickie is a little linguist! Six months and already talking. That seems common for a TAG but early for a CAG. Gracie says nothing in English yet (she is almost 7 months old), but she is quite chatty in Parrotese. Every day we go back and forth with whistles and clicks and rasberry noises. She seems to be teaching me! I am an ESL teacher, but after teaching international students all day, I don't subject Gracie to any formal lessons. I just try to talk to her in simplified English and comment on what I am doing and what she is doing. It isn't so different to how I have talked to pet dogs or cats. It's funny. When I decided to get a grey, I thought a lot about talking ability. "When will she talk?" "How well will she speak"? "Will she be the next Alex or Cosmo? Now after 2 months with Gracie, I have almost forgotten that human speech will likely be in her future. It just doesn't seem to matter anymore. Now, having said that, I am sure when she says her first word I will report it with unbridled pride and quickly post videos of her oratory skills!

Ha ha ha! Thanks JeffNok! She has mastered the "hi," but prefers her first language of whistles and chirps most of the time. We make it a game where we try to copy the noises she makes and it's really funny to do because she will keep upping the difficulty until we can't replicate the noise she just made. Whenever she "wins" because we can't copy her, you can tell that she's all proud of herself. Lol. :) I felt the same way you did about hoping she would talk, and, don't get me wrong, it's neat that she does, but I'm already so in love with her that it doesn't matter to me either way anymore. :)

my coco CAG.... has been talking about a month or 2 now.... He is 9 months old & his 1st scentance was "coco good boy"......

i was really curious as to when he would talk & even if he would at all, & then bam not only did he talk but it was a whole scentance WOW....

We cannot get him to shut up now lol...... xx

JeFFNOK and all... wow! I was in a " cringing" position with my face, ( I'm sure you can imagine!). The fallout didn't happen! Thanks! Today was Sunday. Sophie's day. I had such a hard week, I really just wanted to read a book, and have little responsibility. Sophie hung out with me, but I was boring.n While I was reading my book, she decided to learn how to " turn on the faucet." I had a little soap on the pan that was soaking.... turned into a HUGE amount of bubbles! Whwn I heard her sqyaking with excitement... WHOA! Bubbles everywhere, shes going crazy with fun! LOL Serves me right for being boring. Nancy