NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Too big???

ariisamis

That sounds just fine. It is rare that a cage can be too big. The thing to watch is the bar spacing. 1 to 1.5 inches is appropriate, but wider than that can cause some issues. My cage for Gracie is about the size you describe and she is fine. I may go bigger in the future when I can afford it.

You may be very surprised to see how much a cage shrinks when you set it up w/AG sized toys & perches. I also think that bigger cages are actually less work to clean rather than more. More choices for setting things up to avoid them getting pooped on.

And they usually come w/bigger cups, too. Birds are horribly messy eaters. So when they drop or toss things, the bigger the cup, the more chance the food will go back into the big bowls. Of course that's kind of like saying "You have good breath for a dog." But every little bit helps.

After reading so many post and looking at pictures of cages filled with toys I kinda the larger size would be good. Thank you for the help. I really want what is best for my grey. I am so happy to be a part of this group. I get to share with other bird lovers. Thank you.

I use a ferret nation 142 cage.

http://www.ferretnation.net/ferret-nation-cages/

I just leave out the two half shelves and the divider in the center. You can actually put the divider about 6 inches off of the bottom of the cage to keep the bird out of his poo. It's also kinda nice because I mounted pirches on the doors so when I open the doors there are pirches outside the cage.

You can find these on craigslist for around $100, I got one of my ferrets with one of these cages from craigslist for $50

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is this OK? I know I need some toys but am I on the right track?

I LOVE the playstand. But I am concerned.

With all of the talk about aspergillus spores in peanuts, is there a risk of using roots for a playstand?

I LOVE the playstand. But I am concerned.

With all of the talk about aspergillus spores in peanuts, is there a risk of using roots for a playstand?

I believe it is a mazanta tree stand. I have one, and they are beautiful, easy to clean and no problems with aspergillus.

My local pet shop ordered it for me so I didn't get charged for the shipping like I did with the cage. You can find it online at birdscomfort. It is beautiful, so I am truly hoping that is safe for Nala and that she likes it. The breeder puts her on a table top like this and also a metal play stand. She said she tries to get her birds introduced to different toys, perches and play stands. Please give me feedback before I bring Nala home if this tree is not good for her. Thanks

Yes it is a java tree. Is that bad? Did I miss something? Please tell me that a java tree is ok, I paid $350 for this tree.

I'm not saying anything bad about it. Apparently a LOT of them are sold by bird stores everywhere.

At first I thought it was a root structure, but I was WRONG. I know. Shocking, huh?

Now I'm trying to find out exactly what the wood is because I'm curious.

There is a type of wood called, "giant java willow tree" which is a species of ficus (Ficus benjamina - AKA weeping fig) but I can't tell from the bird stores if this is what the "java tree" playstands are made from...

Oh ok, let me look at the tag on the tree to see if it has another name. And lol at you about shocking that you were wrong. I try to learn from everyone who already has a fid. I did have a TAG ten years ago however I did not research before nor was a part of a group that had the love of birds in common. I value the info from everyone.

I believe it is a mazanta tree stand. I have one, and they are beautiful, easy to clean and no problems with aspergillus.

Manzanita is different than java.

According to this site, java wood is, literally, from the coffee tree. (Coffea genus, dunno which species...)

Now I KNOW it isn't growing in Virginia...

I'm guessing that the airline AND the US Customs and Border Patrol would have an issue if I brought a few trees back with me the next time that I went to the Dominican Republic or Colombia. (Both tentatively scheduled for May...)

To my surprise customers were fighting over the last tree after I got mine. Today I went in to visit with my daughters bab sun conure, and the have two more java trees. I hope they don't have another fight. The owner said before they were not able to sell them but now people are really wanting them. They also come table top and they have the branches you can attach to the top or inside of the cage.

Now that I've been searching instead of working (I mean, "while working"), I've seen some really beautiful java wood perches and playstands. Just gorgeous (as is yours). I just don't want to pay so much!

Branches for the inside of the cage are no problem. I can do some really nice ones with hibiscus from my hedge... I want one of those honkin' big ones!

Lol, I would not try that. But I am sure you could make something using the branches that they sell. The ones that you attach on top or inside the cage has like 3-4 branches coming off it. I am sure once you see it you will be able to make something or add on using this. But please dont try bringing anything back, remember Ellie needs you,lol.

Yes, I could make something with a variety of branches, but I love the natural flow of the java wood. That's why I was asking about using tree roots - depending on the type of tree and the ground condition, the roots can be really cool.

I dint want to pay that much either. But I can't make anything myself and I am not married so no help. I started to buy just the table top one for $129 but i would have needed a table to set it on. I didnt see the perches until after I purchased the tree. They are nice inside and on top of the cage but I am trying to have a place for her away from the cage.